Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859
Results 5,801 to 5,832 of 5832
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    I've been on the phone with the guys at CB's a few times now, and one of the items discussed was increasing the travel of the fork. What they told me has been covered here across numerous posts, but I'll bullet point the answer that I got from them;

- Small company, who stands behind their product, so if something happens and it's their bad, a product flaw, or an issue that results from hard riding, but within the range of intended use (i.e. don't throw your bike off the chair lift and then call us) they will always make it right. That said, they aren't big enough to absorb the cost of a bunch of warranty claims that result from guys testing and playing, so if you choose to do it, it's on you. They'd like to keep their doors open, keep building cool bikes and keep food on the table.

- All that said, off the record, they believe it to be highly unlikely that running a longer fork will ever cause any issues, and they indicated to me that they wouldn't personally be afraid to run a 150 or 160mm fork.

- They have run both of those, and felt that the geo suffered too much at 160mm to justify and that the extra travel wasn't worth it. They did suggest running it with a zero stack to try and keep geo similar.

- They designed the bike around 140mm and prefer it, largely due to torsional rigidity of a 140mm on a 29er, and felt that the flex at 160mm was not worth the extra travel.

- They have raced the Riot in Enduro and ride the Riot regularly and hard, and haven't felt the need for more than 140mm on this type of 29er. Certainly not at the cost of additional fork flex due to increasing travel.

What I came away with was basically, run a longer fork if you want, it will void the warranty, but honestly we don't think you'll have a problem, we've done with no issues ourselves. It will handle better at 140mm or with a zero stack, but handling is preference to some degree anyways. You will get more fork flex, and we find the 140mm to be the best compromise between travel and rigidity.

I don't know if that's helpful, but that is what I was told on the phone. Super nice guys down there. Spent a lot of time on phone with me.

Very helpful indeed!
    Did they mention anything about using an angleset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Very helpful indeed!
    Nope, I didn't ask and it didn't come up.

I know they are a small shop, and it took me a couple of tries before someone answered, but once they did, man they were willing to shoot the sh$t. We talked about the Riot and Balance, set up, and a bunch of technical details, then drifted into favorite riding areas, dirt bikes, company ethos, where the industry is going, trail advocacy and so on.

Chill, knowledgeable dudes for sure.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Nope, I didn't ask and it didn't come up.

I know they are a small shop, and it took me a couple of tries before someone answered, but once they did, man they were willing to shoot the sh$t. We talked about the Riot and Balance, set up, and a bunch of technical details, then drifted into favorite riding areas, dirt bikes, company ethos, where the industry is going, trail advocacy and so on.

Chill, knowledgeable dudes for sure.
    That's definitely been my experience with them as well. I'm going to go ahead and run the fork at 160 with a zero stack lower. That puts me at +4mm compared to a stock setup. I'm not too concerned with fork flex since the Fox 36 does not lack in the stiffness department. I'll let you guys know how it pans out if my Chinese wheelset ever gets here.

mtbr member
    +4mm shouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't anything more than 140 (not including the zero stack) result in a higher bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    +4mm shouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't anything more than 140 (not including the zero stack) result in a higher bottom bracket?
    The idea is that the zero stack offsets the increased axle to crown length of running a longer fork. So my bb will be slightly higher due to the 4mm increase in stack height, but I don't think it will be noticeable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Not sure how you guys are doing plus without hitting the chainstays.

LB 31.8 mm internal Diameter rims

High Roller II 27.5x2.80
    Large Frame

I had to redish wheel so it fit perfectly center but still pretty tight.
    I'm running 2.8 Dhf in front and 2.8 Reckon in back on 35id rims no problems with clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That is good to know. I am pretty tight on maxxis minions dhf 2.5wt. on spank oozy 345s. I will actually get a little rubbing if I am really pounding on the bike pedaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks all for sharing your perspectives. Especially, a big shoutout to kmj831 for sharing super useful info!

mtbr member
    I noticed my raw '16 frame was starting to have weird stains all over it that a simple wash couldn't get out. Almost like dark water stains that felt rough to the touch. Did some research and reached out to Sean and found out that Steel Wool 0000 solves the problem. Weather turned to garbage this week so I figured it would be a perfect opportunity. Toss on some Netflix to bingewatch, and polished her up. Completely turned the bike around. It's insane how different it looks. I'm probably half way between the original raw and chrome.

If anyone else is experiencing the same thing, I 100% recommend doing this. I'll find out this weekend if it made the bike any faster haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I noticed my raw '16 frame was starting to have weird stains all over it that a simple wash couldn't get out. Almost like dark water stains that felt rough to the touch. Did some research and reached out to Sean and found out that Steel Wool 0000 solves the problem. Weather turned to garbage this week so I figured it would be a perfect opportunity. Toss on some Netflix to bingewatch, and polished her up. Completely turned the bike around. It's insane how different it looks. I'm probably half way between the original raw and chrome.

If anyone else is experiencing the same thing, I 100% recommend doing this. I'll find out this weekend if it made the bike any faster haha.
    let's see it!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    I'm running 2.8 Dhf in front and 2.8 Reckon in back on 35id rims no problems with clearance.
    Ok thanks. It works well now. Just slight slight rubbing on high speed turns but won't experience that much on trails. I'll use these plus tires until I wear out the rear then switch to 29.

Unless someone wants to buy 3c dhf high roller and dhf 2.80 with 14 miles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'll find out this weekend if it made the bike any faster haha.
    That answer is guaranteed to be a "yes"!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

If you've already shined it up with steel wool you can now wipe it down with Mothers polish It will turn it to a chrome finish. Did this on an Iron Horse 6 point back in the day. People thought my bike was actually chromed. The cool part is Mothers seals the aluminum pores so it resists oxidizing.

mtbr member
    Couldn't resist trying my Riot singlespeed. It'll be slow when the trail opens up, but I tried it on my local loop trail that's tight and twisty with constant ups and downs, and it's actually very well suited to it. Love not thinking about gears...
    Midday sun made for crappy pics:
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20171110_120211.jpg

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20171110_131715.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Very helpful indeed!
    Did you ever get around to trying an angleset?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009

I have been running a 1.5 degree angleset on mine. 65hta with a 345mm bb. It is alright. Different, i am going to take it off and go to 150mm to try that out. 65 HTA at speed is awesome and obviously makes it harder to get the front end to lift under steep climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow! Nice, never even thought about a riot SS. I've seen am epic and tallboy ss but never anything like this!

mtbr member
    I bet that SS is a rocket!
    Canfield Brothers on Facebook
    https://bitconnect.co/?ref=cSquared

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Tonggi; 3 Days Ago at 04:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    I bet that SS is a rocket!
    It just needs a bigger motor!
    Workin' on it, but got my "climbing gear" on there. Gotta be able to go up to come back down...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm thinking about polishing my riot with 0000 steel wool and some mothers aluminum polish. do the Bros sell replacement decals? I really don't want my riot to say tior either but this may not be an option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    I'm thinking about polishing my riot with 0000 steel wool and some mothers aluminum polish. do the Bros sell replacement decals? I really don't want my riot to say tior either but this may not be an option.
    Stickrd (if im spelling it right) sells the decal kit. Almost any color you want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Did anyone find a successful way to polish with a more automated tool?

mtbr member
    Did anyone find a successful way to polish with a more automated tool?
    A small buffer or a mothers polishing ball for wheels would probably work pretty good. Iím getting ready to do this on my riot and balance

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On the fence in ordering a Riot. Anyone had an experience coming from a Process 111 and would care to chime in their thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    A small buffer or a mothers polishing ball for wheels would probably work pretty good. Iím getting ready to do this on my riot and balance

I used a conical polisher on a battery powered drill and Gord's aluminum polish. It is almost chrome with custom chrome decals from stikrd. I was doing this on lunch breaks so if you took the time to really go at it i'm sure you could have it look like a P-51 or B-17.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/u...9?mobile=false

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pajak View Post
    I used a conical polisher on a battery powered drill and Gord's aluminum polish. It is almost chrome with custom chrome decals from stikrd. I was doing this on lunch breaks so if you took the time to really go at it i'm sure you could have it look like a P-51 or B-17.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/u...9?mobile=false
    I probably will get the conical polisher to use with the polish. The part that is the most labor intensive for me is using the steel wool. I let my top tube get pretty nasty. Also, getting off all of the sticker residue is a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not yet! I have some offset bushings that I will try out first.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    That's definitely been my experience with them as well. I'm going to go ahead and run the fork at 160 with a zero stack lower. That puts me at +4mm compared to a stock setup. I'm not too concerned with fork flex since the Fox 36 does not lack in the stiffness department. I'll let you guys know how it pans out if my Chinese wheelset ever gets here.
    What headset are you using? I am not aware of a ZS44 headset that will allow for the use of a tappered fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    FSA Orbit E 1.5in Internal Bicycle Headset 141-2038

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YYSXF8...=3VSSX1FP1CUTA

This headset is designed to allow a 1.5 straight fork to fit into a 49mm straight head tube.

Use one of the cups, one of the bearings and the lower race for the lower on your tapered fork. Then use an upper assembly of a standard 44 zs headset for the upper.

The bearings on this headset are tiny. They are standard old school ball bearings in a thin flimsy cage and they are not sealed. I have one season on mine and they are getting beat. I inspect and re-grease them regularly. Dirt and spirited riding are taking their toll. But you get two sets so there's that.
    2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    ^^^
    That's the one I got. Someone else mentioned they fashioned a protective sleeve to fit over the race to keep out the dirt and grime..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    FSA Orbit E 1.5in Internal Bicycle Headset 141-2038

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YYSXF8...=3VSSX1FP1CUTA

This headset is designed to allow a 1.5 straight fork to fit into a 49mm straight head tube.

Use one of the cups, one of the bearings and the lower race for the lower on your tapered fork. Then use an upper assembly of a standard 44 zs headset for the upper.

The bearings on this headset are tiny. They are standard old school ball bearings in a thin flimsy cage and they are not sealed. I have one season on mine and they are getting beat. I inspect and re-grease them regularly. Dirt and spirited riding are taking their toll. But you get two sets so there's that.
    Oh god those bearings must be tiny.

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859