Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758 LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,700 of 5764
    mtbr member
    Damn that is pretty cheap!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I'm with stupid
    Ouch kick in the pants. 1000 bucks for frame seat post and 150 buck pedals?

Can I get buy one get one set free on pedals? Hell might have to just order up a XL frame to see if I like sizing up at those prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Hell might have to just order up a XL frame to see if I like sizing up at those prices.
    I might do the same to see how a L fits...

mtbr member
    Ouch kick in the pants. 1000 bucks for frame seat post and 150 buck pedals?
    $999 gets you a frame and shock. Post and pedals are extra. Still a great deal though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    $999 gets you a frame and shock. Post and pedals are extra. Still a great deal though.
    "for a limited time, all frame purchases will include a seat clamp and crampon ultimate pedals in your choice of colors!"

mtbr member

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS

Did you ask them. Because on their webpage it says any frame purchase gets free ultimate pedals and seat clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    "for a limited time, all frame purchases will include a seat clamp and crampon ultimate pedals in your choice of colors!"
    I don't see that in the webstore page for the Riot or the Riot product page. Where are you finding that?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I'm with stupid
    Main page

mtbr member
    Main page
    Looking at it. Don't see any offers. Checked my desktop and phone just to see if it was loading something different???
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Looking at it. Don't see any offers.
    They just updated the fames page to remove the previous offer.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I accidentally bought a $149 pair of pedals, but that's cool. Had the frame and stuff in my shopping cart at the $1499 price, went outside and cut grass for an hour, came back and my cart was empty. When I reloaded it, the frame was $500 cheaper!
    Snagged a 140mm Pike for $549 last week, while still torturing myself over which frame to buy, so I guess this will be a "budget" build

I had a Following, a Smuggler and a Riot all built on paper, but the Riot was the one I found myself daydreaming about.
    Funny, I saw this quote, recently:
    "If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders."
    Alrighty then...

mtbr member
    Theyíre not making it easy for me to sell my 2016 med frame. But thatís ok, had to pick up an EPO for $799. Want a Balance too, oh and a Jedi, pretty ridiculous pricing on all, new versions must be close.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great deals out there currently including this frame. Thinking of pulling the trigger but can't help but think whats coming next. Oh well you only live once! Add to cart!

mtbr member
    Knolly put their Endorphin frames on deep discount around Oct of 2016 and we all assumed something new was about to drop. Here we are a year later and so far nothing. Canfield may have a slew of new models to release at Christmas or they may just have a bunch of frames they need to move and free up some capital with no new models planned anytime soon.

There is no way to know.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Potentially looking to take advantage of the great pricing right now, at 5'9 short legs longer torso would a medium be the right size to go with? Also, which shock and fork options have people been opting for? I was thinking Topaz since I have heard mixed reviews of the CCDBA, but have heard almost nothing about it. Diamond or stage worth the price, or should I watch elsewhere for a good deal?

Thanks for the help everyone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HotDishman View Post
    Potentially looking to take advantage of the great pricing right now, at 5'9 short legs longer torso would a medium be the right size to go with? Also, which shock and fork options have people been opting for? I was thinking Topaz since I have heard mixed reviews of the CCDBA, but have heard almost nothing about it. Diamond or stage worth the price, or should I watch elsewhere for a good deal?

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Topaz is a no-brainer as a no cost shock upgrade option. I own both Diamond and Stage forks, and both are great in their own ways. I think that deals can be found on both. Diamond has excellent small bump compliance, which is unlike any other fork I've used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Topaz is a no-brainer as a no cost shock upgrade option. I own both Diamond and Stage forks, and both are great in their own ways. I think that deals can be found on both. Diamond has excellent small bump compliance, which is unlike any other fork I've used.
    Thanks Carbine! Topaz and Diamond it is... now just need to decide on sizing and color. Does anyone know if the green links match with the DVO Topaz/Diamond Green? I glanced through a bunch of pages pretty quickly, but didn't happen upon a setup with this combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks Carbine! Topaz and Diamond it is... now just need to decide on sizing and color. Does anyone know if the green links match with the DVO Topaz/Diamond Green? I glanced through a bunch of pages pretty quickly, but didn't happen upon a setup with this combo.
    I'd say it works- even with my wheels...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ast View Post
    So... I ordered a Riot frame a couple of weeks ago... now I see they have been discounted even more!. Bugger.
    Oh well , I'm sure I won't care when it finally gets here. I've wanted one ever since they first came out. Still excited....
    Likewise on all accounts, but I assumed they were at or close to the floor on price before. Another 30% off??? Those are being sold at cost. I guess a non-boost frame gets no love in this boosted world.

mtbr member
    Oh, man those prices are crazy! I just bought a 2016 Balance when I thought they wouldn't go any lower and I just finished building it last weekend. Either way I know it's a killer bike that will hopefully last me long time.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Oh, man those prices are crazy! I just bought a 2016 Balance when I thought they wouldn't go any lower and I just finished building it last weekend. Either way I know it's a killer bike that will hopefully last me long time.
    Wise choice. I like my balance more than my riot. Both are amazing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Likewise on all accounts, but I assumed they were at or close to the floor on price before. Another 30% off??? Those are being sold at cost. I guess a non-boost frame gets no love in this boosted world.
    I love my non-boosted frames! They still as good as frames with boost.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wise choice. I like my balance more than my riot. Both are amazing

Why do you prefer your balance over the riot?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So the DVO is available at this price? I was told that price was with the CC? Still reliability issues with the CC?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Yeah, I accidentally bought a $149 pair of pedals, but that's cool. Had the frame and stuff in my shopping cart at the $1499 price, went outside and cut grass for an hour, came back and my cart was empty. When I reloaded it, the frame was $500 cheaper!
    Snagged a 140mm Pike for $549 last week, while still torturing myself over which frame to buy, so I guess this will be a "budget" build

I had a Following, a Smuggler and a Riot all built on paper, but the Riot was the one I found myself daydreaming about.
    Funny, I saw this quote, recently:
    "If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders."
    Alrighty then...
    You won't be disappointed, I test rode both, the Riot pedals better than the Smuggler, as well as the following. and I couldn't get along with the slack seat tube of the Following...in the rough stuff the Riot owns them.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Why do you prefer your balance over the riot?
    It basically comes down to high speed stability for me. If I were use car terms the Riot is more like a WRC rally car, fast as hell, nimble, quick turning fast accelerating and changes direction with ease. Sadly all those traits come with a price, you have to more and more precise as the speed increases. The margin of error quickly closes at speed with the riot. All the things that made it great below say 27mph make it scary feeling above (to me). I feel the bike out rides the 140mm fork and will write checks the fork cannot pass. All would be well and good if I could slap a bigger fork on it and offset the bushings to drop the BB. However 140mm is the MAX the bros allow.
    The balance is well, a trophy truck. Can bomb shit, hit things hard, fly through the air with ease, super stable, tracks the ground like boss. All leaving you in awe of how smooth it is at stupid speeds. No idea of the speeds you are going till you try to slow down or step off. The bike starts working the faster you go! However the trade off is that, well, if you are not hauling ass the bike should be called the boring instead of the balance. When you are "zipping" around on slowed single track it kinda numbs the trail a bit. Making it a touch boring. Add some speed and it comes alive, before that.... I sure hope you enjoy looking at nature because the bike will not excite you.

Now living in Colorado, most of out trails are set up and big climbs up and screamers coming down. Hitting 30 mph plus multiple times a ride is a normal occurrence. That is over rocks and such. Normal weekend ride is 4k of climbing with that much going down all in big shots not punchy. So I suffer to the top to get in that Mach Chicken speed zone on the way down. So I prefer the trophy truck on the way down. If i ride more local punchy climbs and single track in the parks inside the city I grab the Riot because the Balance is too much bike and boring for those rides. So overall it just comes down the a few factors. What speed I like to ride at (not saying the riot is not fast remember rally cars are way fast just feel different). The larger margin of error at that speed and the very plush ride the balance gives me. Which is odd because I have always been a 29er guy before because of the stability. So overall it comes down to which type of riding you do, and where you would rather have more fun. High speeds riding a mini DH sled, or ripping along at slower speeds riding a 4x/Dual slalom bike with 29 inch wheels that is super playful.

With that said I am sure you can do things to either bike to make it more like the other, however I feel these bikes riding characteristics and style are designed and tested by and for two different people at the bros test/engineering location. I just happen to be in the corner of the Balance designers idea. With that said they both climb amazingly well. So it is not always not about just going down (do not tell the old lady I said that) Either way, flip a coin and choose because you are NOT getting a bad bike either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    You won't be disappointed, I test rode both, the Riot pedals better than the Smuggler, as well as the following. and I couldn't get along with the slack seat tube of the Following...in the rough stuff the Riot owns them.
    Yeah, I've read where people prefer each over the other, depending.
    I'd rather just ride my SS-converted Yelli Screamy for the rest of my life, but have too many injuries, and ride some terrain that's much rougher than suits a hardtail. A geared full suspension bike is going to be quite a departure, as I have practically zero FS experience, and hate how gears dull the feeling of being connected to the bike. It's going to take some getting used to, regardless, but the Riot is the most "Yelli-like" FS around, so hopefully a good choice for me.
    The only thing I know for sure is that mine is going to look really sharp

mxer, I ordered mine with the Topaz. The Jade is $100 more.

Home page(edit: the "bikes" page) still shows free pedals and seatpost clamp with frame purchases. My receipt shows that I was charged for both, but it hasn't hit my credit card, yet, so IDK. May be a little confusion going on with the price changes and all...

mtbr member
    It basically comes down to high speed stability for me. If I were use car terms the Riot is more like a WRC rally car, fast as hell, nimble, quick turning fast accelerating and changes direction with ease.
    Enjoyed that breakdown Mostly twisty here; constant short climbs and descents, with extended versions of either being rare(even the DH and "enduro" courses are short, and broken into brief sections). The Riot seems like a lot of bike to me, but your description makes it sound like it will be right in its element.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It basically comes down to high speed stability for me. If I were use car terms the Riot is more like a WRC rally car, fast as hell, nimble, quick turning fast accelerating and changes direction with ease. Sadly all those traits come with a price, you have to more and more precise as the speed increases. The margin of error quickly closes at speed with the riot. All the things that made it great below say 27mph make it scary feeling above (to me). I feel the bike out rides the 140mm fork and will write checks the fork cannot pass. All would be well and good if I could slap a bigger fork on it and offset the bushings to drop the BB. However 140mm is the MAX the bros allow.
    The balance is well, a trophy truck. Can bomb shit, hit things hard, fly through the air with ease, super stable, tracks the ground like boss. All leaving you in awe of how smooth it is at stupid speeds. No idea of the speeds you are going till you try to slow down or step off. The bike starts working the faster you go! However the trade off is that, well, if you are not hauling ass the bike should be called the boring instead of the balance. When you are "zipping" around on slowed single track it kinda numbs the trail a bit. Making it a touch boring. Add some speed and it comes alive, before that.... I sure hope you enjoy looking at nature because the bike will not excite you.

Now living in Colorado, most of out trails are set up and big climbs up and screamers coming down. Hitting 30 mph plus multiple times a ride is a normal occurrence. That is over rocks and such. Normal weekend ride is 4k of climbing with that much going down all in big shots not punchy. So I suffer to the top to get in that Mach Chicken speed zone on the way down. So I prefer the trophy truck on the way down. If i ride more local punchy climbs and single track in the parks inside the city I grab the Riot because the Balance is too much bike and boring for those rides. So overall it just comes down the a few factors. What speed I like to ride at (not saying the riot is not fast remember rally cars are way fast just feel different). The larger margin of error at that speed and the very plush ride the balance gives me. Which is odd because I have always been a 29er guy before because of the stability. So overall it comes down to which type of riding you do, and where you would rather have more fun. High speeds riding a mini DH sled, or ripping along at slower speeds riding a 4x/Dual slalom bike with 29 inch wheels that is super playful.

With that said I am sure you can do things to either bike to make it more like the other, however I feel these bikes riding characteristics and style are designed and tested by and for two different people at the bros test/engineering location. I just happen to be in the corner of the Balance designers idea. With that said they both climb amazingly well. So it is not always not about just going down (do not tell the old lady I said that) Either way, flip a coin and choose because you are NOT getting a bad bike either way.
    Excellent break down! Probably riot for me. Old , slow and ride techy single track in the northeast. Probably run b+ most of the time but 29'er in certain conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd rather just ride my SS-converted Yelli Screamy for the rest of my life, but have too many injuries, and ride some terrain that's much rougher than suits a hardtail. A geared full suspension bike is going to be quite a departure, as I have practically zero FS experience, and hate how gears dull the feeling of being connected to the bike. It's going to take some getting used to, regardless, but the Riot is the most "Yelli-like" FS around, so hopefully a good choice for me.

Home page(edit: the "bikes" page) still shows free pedals and seatpost clamp with frame purchases. My receipt shows that I was charged for both, but it hasn't hit my credit card, yet, so IDK. May be a little confusion going on with the price changes and all...
    Same for me. Love my yelli but the 50yo body needs full suss at this point! Now do i go cc or dvo?

mtbr member
    So the DVO is available at this price? I was told that price was with the CC? Still reliability issues with the CC?
    I don't think reliability is still an issue with the CC DBairCS, but most people had issues with the complex setup (myself included). Even though I wanted to get rid of it, I stuck with it and gave it some time. I have it dialed in now, and she's been great. I really don't like how you need a tool to dial it in, as opposed to something like the Fox DPX2 where it can all be done by hand.

I felt like an engineer once I got the DBairCS all dialed in. Since then I haven't touched a damn thing. Downside is that it needs service now, and it's $195 for service which is a little absurd. Especially considering they recommend ever 200 hours. Anyway...long story short, it has worked out well. I think the DVO stuff is proven, and has worked great for just about everyone.

I would really like to see how something like the new Fox DPx2 works on the Riot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

I rode my hardtail the same way, got tired of going slow, and waking up with beat up as I age. I ride the same trails, just faster and having fun. Even mild XC rides are OK on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Same for me. Love my yelli but the 50yo body needs full suss at this point! Now do i go cc or dvo?
    I feel the same way, but that damn sexy EPO is almost irresistible at the current price. The DVO is so easy tune compared to the CC shocks, and seems to complement the Riot's suspension design. Very plush feel, and bottomless with only a single spacer in the positive chamber.

mtbr member
    Wow! Just WOW about these discounts.
    Don't we have something like this in Europe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does any know ho to get this offer too - ""FOR A LIMITED TIME, ALL FRAME PURCHASES WILL INCLUDE A SEAT CLAMP AND CRAMPON ULTIMATE PEDALS IN YOUR CHOICE OF COLORS!"?

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Does any know ho to get this offer too - ""FOR A LIMITED TIME, ALL FRAME PURCHASES WILL INCLUDE A SEAT CLAMP AND CRAMPON ULTIMATE PEDALS IN YOUR CHOICE OF COLORS!"?
    I thibk that was left up from before they started doing deep discounts. I do not think that applies anymore. I would call them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well I couldn't resist the urge to pull the trigger on a riot with the topaz at this low of a price, so let the fun of building begin! So far I have decided on an MRP Stage at 150mm as people seem happy with it here after reading though a lot of the posts here. Anyone have a recommendation for rims for my build? I have a pair of 15x100 DT Swiss 240s hubs off an older wheel set that I plan to use for a 29er setup, but am kind of out of touch with all the new rim widths. I was thinking aluminum, but debating on trying my luck with a set of light bicycle carbon rims. I am definitely open to suggestions (budgeting about $450 for the pair) if people have them!

mtbr member
    I was thinking aluminum, but debating on trying my luck with a set of light bicycle carbon rims.
    I've got 4yrs on LB rims with no issues. We have about a dozen sets amongst our riding group and zero problems so far. For similar type of bikes on our trails they've been more durable than AL. They cost about double what my AL rims cost and out last the AL rims so they aren't really any more expensive.

I'll happily buy another couple sets of LB rims.

Enjoy the new Riot.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've got 4yrs on LB rims with no issues. We have about a dozen sets amongst our riding group and zero problems so far. For similar type of bikes on our trails they've been more durable than AL. They cost about double what my AL rims cost and out last the AL rims so they aren't really any more expensive.

I'll happily buy another couple sets of LB rims.

Enjoy the new Riot.
    I double this on my LB rims, Have a set on my do it all Patrol and they were on a nomad before and holding up great for 3 years now. Have another set built on the ladies now and built a third for my Riot but only 4 rides on them. Nothing but confidence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks to both of you for your input! I think that settles it for me, LB rims it is! Do you happen to know which versions of the rims you are running? Did you guys opt for the reinforced versions or just the regular versions. Looking to run a 2.5 minion or similar up front so I'm thinking something with an internal width greater than 30mm will be in the cards.

mtbr member
    Thanks to both of you for your input! I think that settles it for me, LB rims it is! Do you happen to know which versions of the rims you are running? Did you guys opt for the reinforced versions or just the regular versions. Looking to run a 2.5 minion or similar up front so I'm thinking something with an internal width greater than 30mm will be in the cards.
    I wouldn't get the HD version unless you are truly in clyde territory. You don't want a crazy stiff carbon rim.

I've got both these versions:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-...ompatible.html

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hookles...ompatible.html

Both have been the best rims I've ever used for tubeless setup. I run 2.4" Trail Kings which are bigger than 2.5" Maxxis Minions on them and they work great for wider tires. Much better support and steering precision than when I used skinny rims.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think 30 is about right for 2.5 tires. I did not go with the reinforced version, just the off the shelf built ones. If you plan to run plus sized tires in the future, then consider 35 but the Minion 2.5WT has an awesome profile on 30mm internal rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I think 30 is about right for 2.5 tires. I did not go with the reinforced version, just the off the shelf built ones. If you plan to run plus sized tires in the future, then consider 35 but the Minion 2.5WT has an awesome profile on 30mm internal rims.
    Check this out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-screenshot_20170927-204755.jpg  

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-screenshot_20170927-204809.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Currently I'm riding an 2016 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950 XL frame with a fox 36 at 160mm of travel and I'm thinking of getting a riot with an 11/6 (Hopefully if the price stays 'low' haha). I have read that anything more than a 150mm fork voids the warranty so I could get the fork travel lowered which isn't a big deal. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? I'm not huge into weight savings... my bike is already like 31 lbs, so I just want something that will not be phased or risk breaking when I throw anything at it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    My personal theory is that this time next year there will be 3 new carbon frames getting dropped. Carbon toir, carbon balance and a new epo. If I'm correct they are probably stretched a little thin right now.
    Margins tend to be pretty nuts on taiwan made aluminum frames, especially when most of them are sold direct to consumer. They're not at the floor.

Mine also just turned 4. I only have one bike, so they have thousands of miles on them and hundreds of rock scrapes. Rear rim has been built on 3 different hubs.
    They didn't have 30mm internal back then. Mine are 25mm, which they called "wide" at the time. Definitely buying from them again

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    My personal theory is that this time next year there will be 3 new carbon frames getting dropped. Carbon toir, carbon balance and a new epo. If I'm correct they are probably stretched a little thin right now.
    Margins tend to be pretty nuts on taiwan made aluminum frames, especially when most of them are sold direct to consumer. They're not at the floor.
    I'm quite certain that's the case. The sale dropped at the same time they indicated Toir would be pushed back to end of next year. In the podcast where they were interviewed they said an aluminum frame was ~$800. Add in ~$150 for a shock and the Toir has to be damn close to no margin. I feel bad for the guys and honestly don't know why the frames aren't moving, though I assume no-boost is the cause.

mtbr member
    I feel bad for the guys and honestly don't know why the frames aren't moving, though I assume no-boost is the cause.
    - not boost
    - heavy
    - flexible
    - no water bottle inside frame
    - high BB
    - not carbon
    - fringe brand
    - short WB

Lots of reasons really. Not all of these ^^^ matter to me personally, but some of them do. While I am tempted by the sale I won't buy one even at $1K.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    - not boost
    - heavy
    - flexible
    - high BB
    - not carbon
    - fringe brand
    - short WB

Lots of reasons really. Not all of these ^^^ matter to me personally, but some of them do. While I am tempted by the sale I won't buy one even at $1K.
    At $1k I'm definitely tempted and the only item on your list that really matters to me is "flexible". Have folks been having problems with frame flex on the toir?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    While nobody will claim that it is as stout as a carbon frame, it is not flexy. I am not light and not slow and have never noticed the flex except when a pivot bolt was loose. If you get a frame, make sure to lock tight the pivot bolts.

I also do not think the bb is high, I think it is reasonable and perfect for pedaling and turning.

Short wheelbase as compared to what? Its got an inch shorter chainstay than anything else like it but is slacker than most and has contemporary reach numbers. I prefer this bike to my patrol in almost all situations as that feels too long with too low a bb for real world riding in a lot of situations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    While nobody will claim that it is as stout as a carbon frame, it is not flexy. I am not light and not slow and have never noticed the flex except when a pivot bolt was loose. If you get a frame, make sure to lock tight the pivot bolts.

I also do not think the bb is high, I think it is reasonable and perfect for pedaling and turning.

Short wheelbase as compared to what? Its got an inch shorter chainstay than anything else like it but is slacker than most and has contemporary reach numbers. I prefer this bike to my patrol in almost all situations as that feels too long with too low a bb for real world riding in a lot of situations.
    I agree 100%

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by anc67 View Post
    I agree 100%
    Same here. A couple have said in this thread it is "flexy". I certainly haven't found that. If I purposefully stand on the side of the bike and side load the crank, I'm rolling the tire off the rim with almost no visible frame deflection. I've also spent the month since I've gotten it trying to dial in higher sag/mid-stroke since I've added more crank end scars in four weeks than I've gotten in four years. Certainly doesn't feel like a high BB ?????

As for short wheelbase, that's why I bought it!!!!! I bought a first run Yelli and wanted a FS version since. Short rear stays, slack HA, and snappy carving is why you love a Riot (Toir?) IMO. There's a hundred long wheelbase plow bikes out there. If you want a punchy, manual-happy 140mm bike there's only one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Same here. A couple have said in this thread it is "flexy". I certainly haven't found that. If I purposefully stand on the side of the bike and side load the crank, I'm rolling the tire off the rim with almost no visible frame deflection. I've also spent the month since I've gotten it trying to dial in higher sag/mid-stroke since I've added more crank end scars in four weeks than I've gotten in four years. Certainly doesn't feel like a high BB ?????

As for short wheelbase, that's why I bought it!!!!! I bought a first run Yelli and wanted a FS version since. Short rear stays, slack HA, and snappy carving is why you love a Riot (Toir?) IMO. There's a hundred long wheelbase plow bikes out there. If you want a punchy, manual-happy 140mm bike there's only one!
    I think the "flexy" talk comes from the ability to flex the upper suspension links by pushing laterally on the rear triangle. I can pretty visibly flex this point in the bike, but can't say I've ever felt the rear end was ever doing anything I didn't want it to do while riding. If I hadn't read this thread from the beginning I'd have never thought about flex anywhere in my frame; some may have different experiences.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's been said to flex by a few people. After a few months of riding I went in and cleaned, regreased pivot surfaces, and retightened and all flex was pretty much gone. I think any new owner should just tighten them up right away.

I don't think most Canfield owners are going to think to much of that discrepancy list. As stated above, most bought this bike for the specific ride quality it offers not because it was trendy and had all the new standards.

mtbr member
    That is most of the reasons I bought one and going to keep for years to come.

- not boost
    Can use existing wheel sets.

- heavy
    Not that heavy with a light inline shock (8 lbs). Built out with carbon parts only 1/1.5 lbs heavier than carbon frames and can build out in 30 lbs range.

- flexible
    I really don't feel much flex.

Water bottles are for XC spandex wearing riders.

- high BB
    Low BBs suck and are over rated. Toir/Riot I think could actually be higher, 14" would be good. If you climb and descend lots of chunky trails, it is nice not to be paranoid of pedal strikes. (remember this is a "trail" bike)

- not carbon
    And not $3K either

- fringe brand
    With great customer service and unique bikes.

- short WB
    With short CS which makes it a blast to ride and only down side is that it gets a little nervous at high speeds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    That is most of the reasons I bought one and going to keep for years to come.
    Perfect. If someone feels the same way and stumbles onto this sale they'll get a deal of a lifetime.

I'm riding a metal bike from a niche brand with none of the current "standards" on it and it's the best bike I've owned in 30yrs+ of MTBing so I feel you on the Riot love. I hope you enjoy it for many many more years.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Propably tomorrow I broke the bank and I order one frame!
    Im in height 5.7 feet with inseam 31inch right frame is the medium for me or small one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoul View Post
    Im in height 5.7 feet with inseam 31inch right frame is the medium for me or small one?
    Iím 5í8 and currently ride a large riot epo and balance and have a large nimble9 in bound

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 5.6 and inbetween sizes. My inseam is 28" and I'm a T-rex with short arms. I chose small for the shorter wheel base and don't like to be stretched out on long rides. But my trails are twisty. If you're arms are proportionate to your legs. Or if your trails are more open. I'd get the medium.

mtbr member
    Woot, ordered a frame with a topaz shock the other day and now just await for it to ship. Iím pretty excited as this will replace my nimble

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Iím 5í6Ē with a 30Ē inseam but +2 ape arms, riding a small with 50mm stem, 773 (cut 13.5 off each side of an 800) bars, seat slammed back on the post and I often think I would fit on a medium better. Reach wise the small is okay when Iím standing. Itís my seated climbing and singletrack riding position that doesnít feel quite right. I find the effective top tube length of the small to be a bit tight for me. I do like a more stretched riding position than a more upright one despite my beer belly being in the way. Anyone want to buy my small frame? I might think about sizing up at these prices.

mtbr member
    5'6-7"/30" inseam, and went with Medium after calling to ask about it. On a Medium Yelli w/120mm fork that fits me well. Gonna try ithe Riot with the same bar/stem combo, and go from there based on where the steeper STA positions me. Was told they work out similarly fit-wise, and between the extra reach, and a fork that has 25mm more A2C raising the bars and slacking the seat angle a bit, it indeed seems they will be pretty close. Should make for a more upright body position when seated on the Riot, but that would be a good thing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks a lot everyone I have the yelli for two years in the small frame!
    all companies send me in the medium in FS frame!
    With yelli I am tight in a few trails and in the pedaling I have problem with my seat anyway I will go with medium....I think its better for pedaling efficciency and stability!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Order done I hope to get it soon....
    I have Yelli for 2 years in local trails...
    I think I have to get stealth reverb now because in my yelli I have KS supernatural external cable!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ran an externally routed dropper on my Riot for a time. Not as elegant, but it worked just fine. Just sayin' that it's possible unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thanks I saw a picture with this option
    maybe I have to pay longer cable inner and outer

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I expect my frame to arrive today, really looking forward to getting more travel with similar handling to my Process 111 that it replaces.

With the discussion on the need to loctite the pivots, where can I find the e torque specs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    I expect my frame to arrive today, really looking forward to getting more travel with similar handling to my Process 111 that it replaces.

With the discussion on the need to loctite the pivots, where can I find the e torque specs?

These is no torque spec. Somewhere in the thread there is discussion of why, but basically the bolt bottoms and you know when to stop. I did a full tear down and clean, inspection the other day and it was very easy to know how tight it should be. After a year and 1/2 all of the bearings where in great shape, though there seemed to be a limited amount of grease in them. I cleaned and repacked them since I had it apart, but it really wasn't even needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    These is no torque spec. Somewhere in the thread there is discussion of why, but basically the bolt bottoms and you know when to stop. I did a full tear down and clean, inspection the other day and it was very easy to know how tight it should be. After a year and 1/2 all of the bearings where in great shape, though there seemed to be a limited amount of grease in them. I cleaned and repacked them since I had it apart, but it really wasn't even needed.
    Thank you, sorry I missed the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I never locktite anything, but did retighten everything after every ride, after the third time, mine were good.

mtbr member
    On a Medium Yelli w/120mm fork that fits me well. Gonna try ithe Riot with the same bar/stem combo, and go from there based on where the steeper STA positions me.
    Any comments from people who have both a Yelli Screamy and Riot in the same size on cockpit differences between the two?
    After tomorrow, I'll have everything to build my Riot except the bar and stem. I'm foreseeing a trial and error period while I learn more about the shock. Between that and covering 3-4 extra shifts per week while a coworker's out, I doubt it'll see a "big ride" for a few weeks, and don't want to take the Yelli out of action in the meantime.
    Not sure how to resolve the differences in reach, STA, and resulting ETT, so am just looking for a starting point for the stem. Longer, shorter, same...where did you end up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm still working with mine, but I'm a lot closer to my Yelli than I would have guessed based on geo numbers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any comments from people who have both a Yelli Screamy and Riot in the same size on cockpit differences between the two?
    After tomorrow, I'll have everything to build my Riot except the bar and stem. I'm foreseeing a trial and error period while I learn more about the shock. Between that and covering 3-4 extra shifts per week while a coworker's out, I doubt it'll see a "big ride" for a few weeks, and don't want to take the Yelli out of action in the meantime.
    Not sure how to resolve the differences in reach, STA, and resulting ETT, so am just looking for a starting point for the stem. Longer, shorter, same...where did you end up?
    I came from a bike with a 72į STA, Geo was similar to the Yelli. I started with my seat slammed back, but you're going to love the feeling of standing and seated feels more the same. Vs stretched seated and cramped standing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey guys, have a question for all the riot owners out there.

Iíve got an xl riot with a pike 140 out front. Iím waiting for push to offer their coil conversion kit but will be getting one when theyíre out.

Question is should I get the coil conversion in 140 or 150mm length? Loving how the riot is riding but always thought would like more travel up front.

Does the riot handle ok with a 150 fork or does it throw off the geo too much?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you run the fork at 150 with the stock headset it does throw it off. Iím running my Pike at 150 but with a zero stack lower headset and it is great. However I was running it at 160 and while it seemed great for a while I definitely was noticing some handling traits, like sluggish turn in on certain corners, that I couldnít adjust my riding style to. Once I lowered the fork it really woke the handling up and I was able to adapt to more corners and terrain better than before. I find it strange as I have ďlong forkedĒ all of my bikes for the last 30 years and never experienced that level of handling degradation from it. Your experience might be different, but if you are looking to run it at 150mm you should plan on finding one of those FSA ZS headsets.

mtbr member
    Riot lower ZS headset cup
    For anyone wanting a flush mount (Zero Stack) lower head set cup for the Riot you can use FSA #141-2038 for the lower cup.

This only works if you already have an upper cup since the FSA headset is the same cup top and bottom. I believe it was meant to mount a fork with a 1.5" straight steerer tube in a 49.6mm headtube.

I have run a Riot with this headset combo and a 150 Pike (I used a Cane Creek top cup assembly). I also ran it with a 140 Pike and a single offset shock bushing to lower the bottom bracket while maintaining near stock geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Current Riot Boost compatible?

Like a few folk, I was keeping my eye on the new carbon Riot and got on the preorder list. I ended up building a boost wheelset in preparation as sometimes it takes a while to get the rims or other such delays and I didn't want a delay I could avoid.
    News comes of the setback for production on the new Riot and I have a bling wheelset just sitting on the bench for potentially a whole year. I decided to try out these new MRP Ribbon forks vs the Pike I had for front to take advantage of that half of the new wheelset and am very pleased with fork performance.
    Now to the rear, I had a conversation with Canfield and he said that a couple people are running boost in their current Riot bikes, all they needed was a longer axle. I went in the garage and grabbed my boost wheel and checked the fit. My Riot was a little loose on the 142 where tightening the axle down pulled the dropouts in to the hub. Boost wheel is only about 1-2mm wider than the dropouts. Its almost a better fit on my frame as it just barely had to flex out to slide right in. Zero adjustments on rear deraileur, no downside I can see whatsoever.
    It may not make very much sense for a lot of people if you already have your bike built but if you are looking at new wheels, boost spacing is an option to future proof your stuff. Here is the axle I ordered to fit the new setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth...le+stealth+174

Key is 1.75 thread pitch, at least 172 length, and at least a cm threaded length on the end. Stock axle has 2cm threaded length.
    I have 3 rides on it now and have zero issues.

Here are more options but also more pricey.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=160

mtbr member
    Wow, amazing. Thanks go sharing.
    However - what's happening in the brake department? Is it aligned with rotor?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Boost appears to put the rotor in the exact same spot, I did have a different hub so did some super slight alignment change but I bet same hub brand would be perfect as long as tolerances were.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this killer deal, but have a few questions first. I'm trying to decide between the DVO topaz and Jade for $100 more. Is the extra weight of the Jade worth it on the descents? Also, has anyone else ran a 160 fork up front, and if so, how does it ride? I know a few posts above someone mentioned the handling got a little squirrely. Anyone else experience this? I really want the extra travel and don't much care about frame warranty issues because at $999, who cares?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I donít have a Jade but Iíve got the Topaz and a Vivid R2C. Iíd say the coil shock mutes the trail a bit and makes the bike less playful. Itís not a bad thing... it just makes the bike more of a charger than a dancer. With the Topaz I feel the trail more and have an easier time catching air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankmiester View Post
    I donít have a Jade but Iíve got the Topaz and a Vivid R2C. Iíd say the coil shock mutes the trail a bit and makes the bike less playful. Itís not a bad thing... it just makes the bike more of a charger than a dancer. With the Topaz I feel the trail more and have an easier time catching air.
    Thanks Crank, what travel are you running in front?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Guys, about to regrease everything. Do I need any special tools?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Thanks Crank, what travel are you running in front?
    Iím just sticking with 140mm. I feel like the geo is pretty perfect right there. Maybe if I had a MRP Stage Iíd go 150 but I donít really want to mess with a good thing.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Guys, about to regrease everything. Do I need any special tools?
    Nope. Pretty easy task. Was not even a 1 beer job. ( how I measure bike working time is how many beers I drink during.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nope. Pretty easy task. Was not even a 1 beer job. ( how I measure bike working time is how many beers I drink during.)

Haha! I do the same thing for timing. Thank!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just pulled the trigger on a TOIR and I have an MRP Stage I'm migrating over. Is 150mm approved for this frame? The Stage has a really short A2C so 150mm Stage is similar to 140 Pike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a TOIR and I have an MRP Stage I'm migrating over. Is 150mm approved for this frame? The Stage has a really short A2C so 150mm Stage is similar to 140 Pike.
    Others on the forums have done this. Do not quote me on how approved it is. Call Canfield and they will answer your question.

mtbr member
    Current Riot Boost compatible?

Like a few folk, I was keeping my eye on the new carbon Riot and got on the preorder list. I ended up building a boost wheelset in preparation as sometimes it takes a while to get the rims or other such delays and I didn't want a delay I could avoid.
    News comes of the setback for production on the new Riot and I have a bling wheelset just sitting on the bench for potentially a whole year. I decided to try out these new MRP Ribbon forks vs the Pike I had for front to take advantage of that half of the new wheelset and am very pleased with fork performance.
    Now to the rear, I had a conversation with Canfield and he said that a couple people are running boost in their current Riot bikes, all they needed was a longer axle. I went in the garage and grabbed my boost wheel and checked the fit. My Riot was a little loose on the 142 where tightening the axle down pulled the dropouts in to the hub. Boost wheel is only about 1-2mm wider than the dropouts. Its almost a better fit on my frame as it just barely had to flex out to slide right in. Zero adjustments on rear deraileur, no downside I can see whatsoever.
    It may not make very much sense for a lot of people if you already have your bike built but if you are looking at new wheels, boost spacing is an option to future proof your stuff. Here is the axle I ordered to fit the new setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth...le+stealth+174

Key is 1.75 thread pitch, at least 172 length, and at least a cm threaded length on the end. Stock axle has 2cm threaded length.
    I have 3 rides on it now and have zero issues.

Here are more options but also more pricey.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=160
    Hmmm.... this is very interesting.
    Thanks for sharing

I think i'm going to try and see if boost rear wheel fits my coming 2016 Balance frame.
    I currently have 26'' wheels (non-boost) on my 2014 Balance so those won't go on my 2016 frame.
    But i have a set of spare boost wheels here that would be perfect for the 2016 Balance if they fit.
    Anyone tried boost rear wheel on a 2016/17 Balance???

Edit: I'm also going to post this on the Balance thread to see what's the feedback

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got the parts moved over from my N9 and finally got a shakedown ride in this morning. I'm running it with a shorter stroke shock for now and have to say I'm stoked!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    Got the parts moved over from my N9 and finally got a shakedown ride in this morning. I'm running it with a shorter stroke shock for now and have to say I'm stoked!

Sick looking bike!

mtbr member
    What travel are you running that fox 36?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    my riot its on the way....
    I have yelli and I move all my parts in my Riot!
    I have change all lines from brake and the shifters ok
    I have axle for converting rear hub ok
    Could I use my oval 32T in my RIot with 11-42 sunrace cassette?maybe have to change chain with bigger one or I can make it begger with link!
    the headsets its the same or have to change anything there?
    anything else I have to check it?
    my dropper its outside but saw picture with one guy to installed on the downtube with out any problem...maybe I get in the furure stelth dropper and better fork because my reveletion solo air with 20mm axle have difficult two years in my arms

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    What travel are you running that fox 36?
    150mm. I think the A to C measurement ended up being 7mm longer than a 140mm Pike so I didn't end up dropping it. My ride this AM didn't feel bad on the climbs but I have a big weekend of riding coming up so I'll probably have a good idea of whether I'm going to drop it down to 140.

ast
    mtbr member

Riot!

Finally have it! I can't wait to get this thing built up.
    Like some others on here, my Nimble 9 is going to have to donate a few parts ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-2017-10-10-22.29.10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Open the DVO case at least for the photo, geeze!

mtbr member
    150mm. I think the A to C measurement ended up being 7mm longer than a 140mm Pike so I didn't end up dropping it. My ride this AM didn't feel bad on the climbs but I have a big weekend of riding coming up so I'll probably have a good idea of whether I'm going to drop it down to 140.

Looking forward to the update! I'm planning on runing a 150mm in front, and hopefully won't need that zero stack headset...

ast
    mtbr member
    Open the DVO case at least for the photo, geeze!
    Oh yeah, sorry. That was totally not cool... 😂

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ast View Post
    Finally have it! I can't wait to get this thing built up.
    Like some others on here, my Nimble 9 is going to have to donate a few parts ...
    Haha...now I know I'm not the only one who got a new frame with tha Riot badging and not Tior. I was expecting it to say the new name. Glad it didn't!

mtbr member
    No kidding! Having seen pics with the new name, I was already looking at custom sticker kits that said Riot on them, just 'cause.
    Mine is awaiting parts after some indecision on my part, and it'll be at least another week before it sees any action.
    And so it sits...
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20171012_213321.jpg
    Bit blingy for my (lack of)taste, but I decided I wanted something different from my black on black Yelli instead of a twin.
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170518_134816-1.jpg
    Gonna weight weenie it best I can aside from the suspension and dropper, so wheels and cranks will eventually be carbon. It's gonna be more of a "technical xc" bike for tight twisties and lots of quick rooty ups and downs than an enduro sled, and I want to try it as a singlespeed, so the lighter the better.
    There will be ti, too...lots of ti
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20171011_084018.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What size shock? I short shocked my Remedy 29er a while back and I absolutely loved the geometry but it made the bike squat way too much when pedaling.