Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,600 of 5839
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    That cornering description sounds magical! So Titusquasi, a few posts back, was worried about tire clearance at bottom out. Any feedback on that? I cant remember if I cycled the travel with an empty CCDB to see what the distance to seat tube was like at bottom out.
    My stock CCDBACS only provided 2 1/8" of travel no matter how hard I slammed the shock with no air. The Monarch Plus is providing a full 2 1/4" of travel. I would guess that two offset bushings and the stock CCDBACS may work just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    My stock CCDBACS only provided 2 1/8" of travel no matter how hard I slammed the shock with no air. The Monarch Plus is providing a full 2 1/4" of travel. I would guess that two offset bushings and the stock CCDBACS may work just fine.
    Found out yesterday that offset bushings do not work with avalanche shocks due to the small eyelets they have. I called avy though and they do provide eyelets that can add or reduce the shock length by 1/4 inch. That, depending on cost, is the route I'll most likely go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Found out yesterday that offset bushings do not work with avalanche shocks due to the small eyelets they have. I called avy though and they do provide eyelets that can add or reduce the shock length by 1/4 inch. That, depending on cost, is the route I'll most likely go.
    Doesn't Avalanche offer the Woodie in a 7.75x2.25 configuration? That would be about 197mm E2E. I wonder if it is possible that your current 7.875 could be reworked to 7.75 or if that would require a different shock body altogether? Or if it is the different eyelets they described to you is how they're obtaining those different E2E lengths?
    2016 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If you go this route let us know. Not as fast as a flip chip, but can be done before a ride. I think the Riot is set up perfectly for rough trails that you need to change direction quickly. It handles chunk and S-turns thru trees better than my previous bike with lower BB. But on trails I'm not peddling and going over 25mph. I miss the lower BB.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Radon Epic Enduro 2017

Final special at the Radon Epic Enduro - 3rd place in 50+ agegroup on my Riot :-)
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-patree-sq.jpg

Radon Epic Enduro 2017 - Tous les classements et résultats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81aY4QRw-R4

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Congratulations on your podium finish. My Balance put me on the podium three times in our Enduro series in Texas, and the surrounding states, in the 50+ class. Once on the top top spot. Very competitive older riders out there. Nice video. Didn't understand a word of it, but it looked like a blast. Love that format. Waiting on the fork to finish my new Riot. Probably be faster on most trails than the Balance, which I really bought as my DH bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks :-) Its my third year doing this event -- first year was on a Yelli Screamy, that was pretty tough on the body. Last two years was on the Riot and I didnt feel quite so beaten up after the ride (also better preparation I think helped too). This year I just moved up to 50+ and its a lot easier than riding in the 40+ cat, though there are still plenty of fast 50 year olds out there! This year was 10 specials, 115km, 4800m of vertical ascent (no uplifts) start at 4h30 with lights, first 30min descent by night; last special was the one in the photo, just a short one through the town -- finished just as the sun was going down behind the hills at 19h30 -- a long day on the bike!

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Would you opt of the Topaz over the CCDB? Sounds like the CCDB has some durability issues so I'm assuming Topaz would be riders choice. 11-6 not in the cards unfortunately, I'm sure that would be the bees knees

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    Hey guys,

Would you opt of the Topaz over the CCDB? Sounds like the CCDB has some durability issues so I'm assuming Topaz would be riders choice. 11-6 not in the cards unfortunately, I'm sure that would be the bees knees
    Topaz all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Topaz all the way

Nice! Thanks man! Dang the stance of that thing just looks like a blast!

What rims are those?

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks man! Dang the stance of that thing just looks like a blast!

What rims are those?
    I9 305 enduro wheel set with matching dvo diamond fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What bottle cage are you guys using?

General questions for everyone. I cannot seem to get a water bottle cage that will confidently hold my bottle. I have tried cageless, regular aluminum bent to clamp tighter on bottle, and most recently a bontrager rl cage. The bonty was doing ok until one of the post holes ripped. I'm thinking I may need to do a Velcro strap in conjunction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    I have been through 3 different shocks now on the Riot.

DBAIRCS sucks on the Riot and is expensive shock to maintain. I am not a fan of CC shocks, they have a lot of reliability issues.

A old Fox DHX coil i got Pushed. This shock worked great, but was heavy and my weight fluctuates quite a bit to keep running a coil.

Picked up a Manitou Mcleod a few weeks back to give it a try on my Riot because the Mcleod is working so well on my other bike. For such a simple light weight shock it amazingly feels as good as the Pushed Fox does. The plus also is that you can find them online for $200 to $250.
    Thank you for your answer. Have you any chance to compare Monarch with McLeod?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

General questions for everyone. I cannot seem to get a water bottle cage that will confidently hold my bottle. I have tried cageless, regular aluminum bent to clamp tighter on bottle, and most recently a bontrager rl cage. The bonty was doing ok until one of the post holes ripped. I'm thinking I may need to do a Velcro strap in conjunction.
    Check out the Lezyne Flow Cage. I've been using one for a few years and it is very secure. Sometimes it's not the easiest to get the bottle out of while riding though, and I'm on a Tallboy with the bottle on top of the downtube. There is a way to adjust that though if you want to- trim the retention tabs- though I've never felt the need to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Thank you for your answer. Have you any chance to compare Monarch with McLeod?
    No can not compare to Monarch, but really like the McLeod on there. A simple light weight set and forget shock that works well. The 4 compression/IPA settings are very nice and easy to get to to adjust for climbing or descending.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a pic of their black frame with the silver link? Canfields website photos are not good and I'm tryign to decide between all black or black with silver links.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Did you get the knobs and the QR re annodized on the DVO? I have been thinking of doing the same. I read that when you re-anno, you loose a little on the tolerances. Is this warning just for super high tolerance stuff, or did you notice a difference?

I'm with stupid
    Soft Ano is about .0002" a surface hard Ano can be up to .002" a surface

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What chain guide are you guys using for the ISCG mount? I'd prefer not to get the chain guide and bash guard but just a chain guide if possible. Also how many spacers are you running on your bottom bracket particularly the race face cinch? The installation instructions show zero spaceRs, but the non-drive side of the frame requires a spacer due to the machining and the world that protrudes past it?

mtbr member
    What chain guide are you guys using for the ISCG mount? I'd prefer not to get the chain guide and bash guard but just a chain guide if possible. Also how many spacers are you running on your bottom bracket particularly the race face cinch? The installation instructions show zero spaceRs, but the non-drive side of the frame requires a spacer due to the machining and the world that protrudes past it?
    I use the MRP guide that I got bundled with the frame. SHOP MRP AMG Chain Guide for our Canfield Brothers Balance | Canfield Brothers Online Store
    I cut off the upper chain guide and only use the lower bash, with my absoluteBlack oval ring I'm yet to drop a chain. Now with the Race Face BB I also had to mill cut open the diameter in order to fit better around the rather large BB end.

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170715_080308.jpg2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170715_080457.jpg2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170715_080422.jpg2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170715_080144.jpg2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170715_080243.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I use the MRP guide that I got bundled with the frame. SHOP MRP AMG Chain Guide for our Canfield Brothers Balance | Canfield Brothers Online Store
    I cut off the upper chain guide and only use the lower bash, with my absoluteBlack oval ring I'm yet to drop a chain. Now with the Race Face BB I also had to mill cut open the diameter in order to fit better around the rather large BB end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_080308.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1146667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_080457.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	1146668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_080422.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1146669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_080144.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	1146670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170715_080243.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1146671
    What is your spacer setup with the BB?

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Hey did you guys get a seat post clamp with your friends? I assumed it would come with the standard black one but there is none in the box. Anyone know what size it is off the top of their head?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

I used a cheap plastic sideloader with a velcro strap.

mtbr member
    Hey did you guys get a seat post clamp with your friends? I assumed it would come with the standard black one but there is none in the box. Anyone know what size it is off the top of their head?
    Never mind on that guys, I found all my answers.

mtbr member
    What is your spacer setup with the BB?

Thanks for the info.
    I needed to use 2 spacers on the drive side, 1mm each because I wrapped the chain stay with Scotch Mastic 2228 tape. Its a thick pliable electrical tape. Because of the tape and the flex in the frame, under heavy torque hill climbing my crank arm would touch the chain stay. I still hit the stay now and then but not enough to bother me.

mtbr member
    Still haven't upgrade the CC DBAirCS, but am very intrigued by the new Fox Float DPX2. I'm seeing just about zero real world reviews, so i've been holding off. I like the idea behind it and think it might actually be awesome on the Riot. Not to mention all the adjustments can be made on the trail by hand. No more tools for the Cane Creek! Anyone out there also looking at it?

I'm with stupid
    Mine is going up for sale, sticking with the balance. If anyone is looking for a carbon wheel, crank, bars with xtr and xt and a pike let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Mine is going up for sale, sticking with the balance. If anyone is looking for a carbon wheel, crank, bars with xtr and xt and a pike let me know.

What about the GG SMash!

I'm with stupid
    Passing on that bad boy and just going to pimp out my balance with carbon and eagle.

mtbr member
    Passing on that bad boy and just going to pimp out my balance with carbon and eagle.

Did you get a test ride? I was set on a Wreckoning, but the Smash looks interesting. And made here in CO!

I'm with stupid
    No have not made it up for a test ride. I just went and rode my balance again and have come to realize, I just like a bigger/slacker less playful bike. I ride to go fast. The balance does that in spades, the riot is a much more poppy 4 cross type ride. I need/like a big magic carpet ride of longer travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does anyone want to sell a frame? I am looking for a large frame. I consider 2016 and late frame. Please write to me

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    There are large frames on the Canfield Bothers website for $500 off. $750 off if you don't want the shock. It would be hard to find used frames much lower than that.

Cheers,

Carter

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nd brah View Post
    There are large frames on the Canfield Bothers website for $500 off. $750 off if you don't want the shock. It would be hard to find used frames much lower than that.

Cheers,

Carter
    Thank you for information

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So I'm very excited to be piecing together a Riot/Topaz. Anyone have any strong recommendations for air volume spacers? I'm 180lbs out of the shower never intentionally have more than 2ft of air under the tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    So I'm very excited to be piecing together a Riot/Topaz. Anyone have any strong recommendations for air volume spacers? I'm 180lbs out of the shower never intentionally have more than 2ft of air under the tires.
    2-spacers, 14mm sag (190psi for me @ 180lbs), bladder at 170psi

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Took the Riot to Pisgah and Dupont for the eclipse. The only thing that held me back on anything was my wife getting used to her new bike. The Riot ate everything I could throw at it up or down.2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-img_20170820_211942_698.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Took the Riot to Pisgah and Dupont for the eclipse. The only thing that held me back on anything was my wife getting used to her new bike. The Riot ate everything I could throw at it up or down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170820_211942_698.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	1153956
    Had mine there last year and will be heading back soon with it. You can tell pisgah is where the riot is home

mtbr member
    Had mine there last year and will be heading back soon with it. You can tell pisgah is where the riot is home

Dude! Got back from Snowshoe a few days ago. The Riot absolutely RIPPED there. Had such an awesome trip. The CCDBairCS actually performed nicely even though I was a bit worried. Really looking hard at this Fox DPX2. I'll be down in Pisgah for my first time this Sept.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Dude! Got back from Snowshoe a few days ago. The Riot absolutely RIPPED there. Had such an awesome trip. The CCDBairCS actually performed nicely even though I was a bit worried. Really looking hard at this Fox DPX2. I'll be down in Pisgah for my first time this Sept.
    I will be back in pisgah at the end of September into the first week of October. I'll have my riot and maybe my balance also

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Sure can, it climbs very well can climb all day, and enough squish to keep you out of trouble.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I will be back in pisgah at the end of September into the first week of October. I'll have my riot and maybe my balance also

Probably will pass you going in, going back mid/late October to catch the fall colors. And do a lot of night rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I finally pulled the trigger on a Riot, but not exactly how I had planned. Ended up getting it from a fellow forum member, and have a had a few rides on it since getting assembled late last week.

For reference, the Riot replaced a Banshee Phantom in my stable, which I never got on with as a 29er, and almost had me ready to sell my set of Hubsessed built 'Merica wheels. Fast forward to 3 rides into my Riot ownership experience, and I finally feel comfortable on a 29er. Comfortable to the point that I don't even think about the wheel size, which is what a great bike should do.

The nimble handling, plush DVO suspension, and playfulness of the Riot contradict the reality that it's a 31+ pound, slack 29er. I'm absolutely amazed at how easily it takes flight and how responsive it is to my inputs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone try a 2.6 width tire on there 29'er wheels?

mtbr member

First. I broke my frame then today I broke my bars on a easy trail that I haven't ridden in a long time. Added some bands to my topaz shock and pedaled local to see if I like what I did. Then this happened

I'm with stupid
    What frame did you break and how?

mtbr member
    What frame did you break and how?

I managed to break my last riot frame in a nasty crash in snow shoe a few months back. Freak crash torqued the hell out of the top tube. Should have changed out the bars when I rebuilt the new frame since they were gouged but spaced

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If anyone want to sell Riot (2016-2017) in L, I will consider offer for frame.
    Thanks

ast
    mtbr member
    Hey Guys, need a little help with sizing.
    I'm about to order a Toir frame but im having trouble deciding between a medium or large. Seems like i could ride either size but I'm worried about my dropper post length.
    Does anyone have a 31" inseam and is riding a large with a 150mm dropper post???
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I have emailed the Canfield Brothers and they recommended a Large. I'm inclined to go with their recommendation since they will know their product the best!
    Just thought I'd check here anyway...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ast View Post
    I'm about to order a Toir frame but im having trouble deciding between a medium or large. Seems like i could ride either size but I'm worried about my dropper post length.
    Does anyone have a 31" inseam and is riding a large with a 150mm dropper post???
    I have emailed the Canfield Brothers and they recommended a Large. I'm inclined to go with their recommendation since they will know their product the best!
    I think you'll be on the hairy edge, to the point it will depend on how much leg extension you like, which dropper you're running, if you pedal heal down vs flat etc. I'm on a large with a 125 dropper, 1.25" of seatpost exposed, and have a 33" cycling inseam.

ast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I think you'll be on the hairy edge, to the point it will depend on how much leg extension you like, which dropper you're running, if you pedal heal down vs flat etc. I'm on a large with a 125 dropper, 1.25" of seatpost exposed, and have a 33" cycling inseam.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I'm fine height -wise (5'10") but I don't think my legs are long enough... unless I go with a 100mm dropper... thanks for your comments car_nut

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I'm fine height -wise (5'10") but I don't think my legs are long enough... unless I go with a 100mm dropper... thanks for your comments car_nut
    My inseam is 31 inches and running a 150mm KS Lev Integra dropper on the medium. There's almost no more room to drop the post any further than it already is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What the responses so far haven't taken into account is crank length and pedals- they factor into it as well.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

ast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    My inseam is 31 inches and running a 150mm KS Lev Integra dropper on the medium. There's almost no more room to drop the post any further than it already is.
    Oh... I just ordered a Large... maybe I'll change to a medium. Thanks jaks

I'm with stupid
    Trust the bros and get the large. I'm sure it will be fine. Big droppers are just a fad to say you have 150mm dropper. I have ridden everything at keystone and every other bike park in colorado the steep of the steep stuff on a 125mm droper. If you cannot get the seat out of the way with 5 inches of travel then you are doing something wrong. The only time I ever feel my seat on my balance or my riot is when I screw up trying to scrub a jump and lay the bike over into the side of my leg.

Moral of the story, you will be fine on a large. Better to have a longer frame and a shorter stem and dropper than the other way around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm about a 31" inseam riding a Gen1 Riot in L with a 125 dropper. I don't think a 150 would fir for me and my frame. Two points though:

1. For me, a 125 is really fine and that includes bike park laps. I have about .5-1 cm of seat post that I can still manually drop with a quick release, and that makes it fine for all sorts of riding. If I were you, I'd just get a cheap normal post to start with, and then figure out if you can make a 150 fit. Else, like I said, 125 works great for me.

2. Didn't the Bros slightly change the seat tube length for the Gen2 Riots? If so, then that's another parameter to take into account for the above remarks. As are crank length (hey, that's a full cm between 175 and 165!), pedaling style etc.

mtbr member
    You can buy a 150mm 9.8 dropper and reduce the travel to whatever you need if that's too high. They are very adjustable.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drLEE View Post
    2. Didn't the Bros slightly change the seat tube length for the Gen2 Riots? If so, then that's another parameter to take into account for the above remarks. As are crank length (hey, that's a full cm between 175 and 165!), pedaling style etc.
    Yes. The seat tube on the gen 2 is, I think, 1 inch shorter.

On a gen 2 I slam a 170 reverb. I had to remove the connectamajig and use the older style barb. For a 150 dropper you should have plenty of space to slam it if needed.

Also, this is not a bike that I would suggest sizing down for. Some of the geometry would not be comfortable for a taller guy sizing down. Adding a longer stem for more cockpit room would take away some of the fun.
    Last edited by A_street; 09-13-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Content

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think your better off with out a seat all the way slammed on this bike. If you use the saddle to feel where you bike is at all the rear wheel is pretty close to it slamed.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-0 with 34in. inseam and I had a 150mm dropper on my Large Gen 2 Riot and it fit great. I had just over 1 inch of the collar sticking above the seat tube clamp and it got me thinking that I could get away with going bigger so I sold my 150mm and bought a 175mm 9point8. Now the collar is all the way down on the clamp. The reason I went bigger has nothing to do with riding because the 150mm was plenty and worked good. I wanted to slam my seat as low as possible in order to just sit at the trail head or waiting on friends and have my feet totally flat on the ground in a relaxed position. I know it's a stupid reason but for me, it's the little thing's.

ast
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the awesome responses guys! I've left my order as Large.
    I was hoping to use a 150 dropper because I already have one, but if I have to get a 125 or 100mm then it's not a big deal, I've used both those lengths before with no problems.
    I just didn't want to spend more money than I had to... I already have to rebuild some wheels to go from boost to non-boost for this Riot. Anyway, I'm excited!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the awesome responses guys! I've left my order as Large.
    I was hoping to use a 150 dropper because I already have one, but if I have to get a 125 or 100mm then it's not a big deal, I've used both those lengths before with no problems.
    I just didn't want to spend more money than I had to... I already have to rebuild some wheels to go from boost to non-boost for this Riot. Anyway, I'm excited!!!
    I'm 5'8 on a large riot with a 35 mm stem and a 150 dropper. Love the way the bike fits

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm 5'8 on a large riot with a 35 mm stem and a 150 dropper. Love the way the bike fits
    I guess I'm the odd man out riding a medium Riot @ 5'10", which is basically the same size as my Phantom was, but with a bit more reach and significantly shorter chain stays. I'm running a little longer than average stem @60mm, but I've found it to be very nimble and not cramped in the half dozen rides I have so far. It feels really well balanced in the air, so I don't feel as though I'm too far forward in the bike. I suppose the moral of the story is ride what works for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I'm 6'-0 with 34in. inseam and I had a 150mm dropper on my Large Gen 2 Riot and it fit great. I had just over 1 inch of the collar sticking above the seat tube clamp and it got me thinking that I could get away with going bigger so I sold my 150mm and bought a 175mm 9point8. Now the collar is all the way down on the clamp. The reason I went bigger has nothing to do with riding because the 150mm was plenty and worked good. I wanted to slam my seat as low as possible in order to just sit at the trail head or waiting on friends and have my feet totally flat on the ground in a relaxed position. I know it's a stupid reason but for me, it's the little thing's.
    Haha,You win! This should be the standard for what size dropper posthe to get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I'm shorter leg Asian and I have S size with 150mm dropper, so cabling is like this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    After 4 years on a 2009 Nomad, I sold it on Sunday and have officially joined the Riot team (with a CCDBACS). My budget means I have to build up the rest of the bike over the winter, but I couldn't be more stoked to build up a bike from scratch again. I also can't wait to ride a 29er with modern geo after years on an out-dated 26" bike. I'll definitely be posting pictures as it comes along!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post

I'm shorter leg Asian and I have S size with 150mm dropper, so cabling is like this.

This is how I routed mine as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Can anyone who has sized up their frame chime in on how your finding it? or anyone @ 6' riding an XL? Ive been on a L Riot for the past 2yrs and am looking at sizing up to XL and for a little extra reach and wheelbase.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anc67 View Post
    Can anyone who has sized up their frame chime in on how your finding it? or anyone @ 6' riding an XL? Ive been on a L Riot for the past 2yrs and am looking at sizing up to XL and for a little extra reach and wheelbase.
    Cheers
    I have been considering this as well. I'm 6'2" on a Large... the Bros say I should have gone XL from the beginning. I think I will but want to wait to see what they have in store for the next full suspension 29er. The large fits pretty well though and I am super happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 6'2 and had a large, just upsized to an XL. I had a 50mm stem on the large, got a 40 on on the XL with the idea of trying both it and the 50. I feel like the bike subtly fits me better and I really notice it when stand up on the pedals climbing and when descending. There is just more room to move around. The real point to be made here though, is that the XL is no less playful for me than the L was. I am very happy with the change.
    I do have a 170 9point8 post and while I had tons of room for it on the L, I have maybe 2 or 3 cm of collar exposed on the XL. I have enough and am happy, just thought I would point it out.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I am 6'2 and had a large, just upsized to an XL. I had a 50mm stem on the large, got a 40 on on the XL with the idea of trying both it and the 50. I feel like the bike subtly fits me better and I really notice it when stand up on the pedals climbing and when descending. There is just more room to move around. The real point to be made here though, is that the XL is no less playful for me than the L was. I am very happy with the change.
    I do have a 170 9point8 post and while I had tons of room for it on the L, I have maybe 2 or 3 cm of collar exposed on the XL. I have enough and am happy, just thought I would point it out.
    I have been thinking about this, Im in between 6'1" and 6'2" depending on how straight I stand. I have been on a large since Oct 2015 with a Gen 1 based of the super long seat tube on the gen 1. Now I am on a 2016 gen 2 in large and have always wondered if I should have sized up when I got the gen 2 due to the shorter seat tube. Strangley my large 2016 balance feels bigger than my large riot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not much chance of you being anywhere near Boise but I would let you take mine for a spin if you were.

I'm with stupid
    sadly no. Out in Colorado Springs

mtbr member
    sadly no. Out in Colorado Springs
    I also have a large gen 2 2016 riot and a large 2016 balance and a large 2016 epo each fits just a little bit different

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Local shop is having a huge moving sale and is selling 3 Fox Factory 36's (29", 150mm) for 40% off today or 50% off tomorrow (if there any left). I need a fork for my build and a brand new 36 for roughly $700cdn is hard to pass up. Can I get away with 150mm, or should I look at dropping it to 140mm right away?

mtbr member

Yes u can

Quote Originally Posted by saskskier View Post
    Local shop is having a huge moving sale and is selling 3 Fox Factory 36's (29", 150mm) for 40% off today or 50% off tomorrow (if there any left). I need a fork for my build and a brand new 36 for roughly $700cdn is hard to pass up. Can I get away with 150mm, or should I look at dropping it to 140mm right away?
    If you get a O stack headset the extra 10mm will not affect the geometry an you will just get alittle more travel 👍

mtbr member

Riot with i35 rims an Dhf 2.5 wt

Has anyone mounted 35i rims with Maxxis DHF WT Front & back on a Canfield Riot before with a Non boost Pike with Success are room lefted?
    Here's my 2017
    I'm looking to upgrade my wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170914_110200.jpg  

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170914_132157.jpg  

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170914_110121.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find it. Need to pick up a BB and I know it's 73mm threaded, but not sure what width I should be looking at.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find it. Need to pick up a BB and I know it's 73mm threaded, but not sure what width I should be looking at.
    73mm is the width. So you need a treaded 73mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm a little over 6' with a pant size inseam of 32 and longish arms. Would an XL be recommended? Any 6' peeps on XL's?
    Last edited by DirtDiggler; 09-18-2017 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would say XL, especially with the arms and inseam. I am similar and on an XL with a 40 stem.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3 with a 34 pant inseam on an XL with a 40mm stem and it fits me perfectly

mtbr member
    What Cranks are you using?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWolf 29er View Post
    What Cranks are you using?
    I'm assuming this is aimed at me. I haven't picked up cranks yet, but after some thought, I figure I should pick up my cranks and then that will help determine which BB I should pick up, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    And so it begins...

Still need to figure out drivetrain, build wheels, lower fork, etc., but stoked to get started!

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-img_4720-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Bingo!
    An so it begins!
    Lord of the Rings
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a threaded BB. That's all you need to know. 68 vs 73 is just a question of installing spacers that come with virtually every BB on the market right now. Just buy a threaded BB and install according to instructions.

As to which BB? Like anything else in cycling, YMMV. I've had decent luck with Shimano & SRAM BB's. Excellent luck with Enduro BB's.

What cranks are you running? There are at least three types of BB: Shimano, SRAM GXP, and Race Face. Different BB depending on which crank style.

Otherwise, have fun with the build! I'm a month into riding mine and couldn't be happier. Still working on dialing the shock, but loving every ride!

I'm with stupid
    And so it begins...

Still need to figure out drivetrain, build wheels, lower fork, etc., but stoked to get started!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4720 copy.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1158398
    That and cover up that nasty santa cruse sticker with a canfield one..... just saying

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm assuming this is aimed at me. I haven't picked up cranks yet, but after some thought, I figure I should pick up my cranks and then that will help determine which BB I should pick up, right?
    Yes, you could even get a BB with the cranks sometimes. As mentioned 68 and 73 will be the same. 68mm use more spacers. 73mm, is the most common size right now....Canfield have cranks that come with a BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I really like the SRAM GXP interface and think that is the smartest and most maintenance free design going. RaceFace bb cups are much larger than shimano and SRAM and I have seen two Riot frames now where the cups don't fit properly without taking weld material off the frame (strongly discourage doing this) so I would personally steer you away from Raceface drivetrain. That and they can get creaky with their interface and spacers so I think its an inferior design on top of potentially not fitting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Emailed the bros 3 days ago about sizing recommendations and had zero response. Do they sometimes go a-wall from email? Hopefully they're in Tawain approving the carbon molds for the new Toir : )

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Typically super responsive, maybe interbike or something similarly distracting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Interbike is this week. I have been in correspondence with Sean this week and received my Riot on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to run a 200x51 shock on their Riot/Toir? Toying with the idea of buying just a frame and throwing a shock with that size on there.

Any ideas on how it would affect the travel and geometry? Is it as simple as (51/57)*140 = 125ish mm? Would the difference in sag of a shorter stroke shock result in a higher bb? Is this just a foolish idea?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    Has anyone tried to run a 200x51 shock on their Riot/Toir? Toying with the idea of buying just a frame and throwing a shock with that size on there.

Any ideas on how it would affect the travel and geometry? Is it as simple as (51/57)*140 = 125ish mm? Would the difference in sag of a shorter stroke shock result in a higher bb? Is this just a foolish idea?

Post #5164 in this thread starts a discussion about this topic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mothertruckinsteve View Post
    Post #5164 in this thread starts a discussion about this topic.
    Perfect exactly what I was looking for. Sorry I did all sorts of searches with the metric dimensions of the shock but didn't think to use the standard dimensions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post

Here's the response I got directly from Chris a couple months back:
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    YES- the Toir work awesome with the 50mm shock.
    No issues at all running it- and we have a few that do.
    I bet it would be great to run it at 127mm of travel in the Midwest instead of the 140.

Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Here's the response I got directly from Chris a couple months back:
    Awesome that is exactly the information I was seeking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have both the 51 and 57 stroke shock. Just get the same eye to eye for both. I love the shorter for our local Boise trails and have a coil 57 for traveling. Such a versatile, fun bike.

ast
    mtbr member
    So... I ordered a Riot frame a couple of weeks ago... now I see they have been discounted even more!. Bugger.
    Oh well , I'm sure I won't care when it finally gets here. I've wanted one ever since they first came out. Still excited....