Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,400 of 5839
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    I've been wondering about the HV can as well as the regular volume air can too.

I have the Debonair and I feel like it gets a little spikey in the mid range yet is a bit soft on the initial stroke. I'm still playing with my rebound and air pressures. Maybe I have the rebound still too fast? There's only so many adjustments.

I currently am running 3 bands in the positive air chamber. I was toying with the idea of running less bands in the positive as well adding a band to the negative side to increase initial stroke ramp up, reduce mid stroke support and perhaps let me run lower pressures. Am I looking at that wrong? I'm at my winter riding weight of about 210 lbs.

My last bike had a 2.54 LR (not sure what kind of rate curve tho) with a Monarch Debonair RT3, but it was a LL tune instead of the MM that is on this bike. I was able to tune that one in much easier than this bike. I'm loving the geometry of the Riot and the suspension is good but I can't quite get the action exactly where I want it yet.
    Thank you

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by abeck View Post
    I'd bet a dollar it's your derailer hanger. It's actually a pretty nice solid design , but it's held in place by two little bolts that don't get much purchase. Get it apart and cleaned up then some a few drops of blue loctite should do the trick.

If it's not the hanger, it could also be the derailer bolt. It could be loose or I had one of those sieze up on me not too long ago.

Good luck.
    PM me your PAYPAL I owe you a dollar.
    I swear I checked everything else on that damn bike. It is always the one thing that you do not think of to check. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    PM me your PAYPAL I owe you a dollar.
    I swear I checked everything else on that damn bike. It is always the one thing that you do not think of to check. Thanks
    I had creak on pedaling last week as well. Did all the normal things and couldn't fix it. Finally, took off the hanger, cleaned that area, and reassembled. Also I took off my X01 cassette and forced some grease between the body and the part that rotates freely when off. I had greased the driver to cassette interface and missed that other part. I think mine was the cassette because I heard it when I put the chain whip on, but not 100% sure. Back to a quiet bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I posted a pattern for a rear fender that worked well for me. It's somewhere in one of the Riot threads.
    P. 76 for anyone looking for the template to download.

How did that design work out for you? Are you still using it? Have you improved it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd bet a dollar it's your derailer hanger. It's actually a pretty nice solid design , but it's held in place by two little bolts that don't get much purchase. Get it apart and cleaned up then some a few drops of blue loctite should do the trick.

If it's not the hanger, it could also be the derailer bolt. It could be loose or I had one of those sieze up on me not too long ago.

Good luck.
    had this happen to me a couple rides ago; derailleur screw backed out a little bit. When your bike goes from dead silent to creaking every peddle stroke it is like nails on a chalk board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been wondering about the HV can as well as the regular volume air can too.

I have the Debonair and I feel like it gets a little spikey in the mid range yet is a bit soft on the initial stroke. I'm still playing with my rebound and air pressures. Maybe I have the rebound still too fast? There's only so many adjustments.

I currently am running 3 bands in the positive air chamber. I was toying with the idea of running less bands in the positive as well adding a band to the negative side to increase initial stroke ramp up, reduce mid stroke support and perhaps let me run lower pressures. Am I looking at that wrong? I'm at my winter riding weight of about 210 lbs.

My last bike had a 2.54 LR (not sure what kind of rate curve tho) with a Monarch Debonair RT3, but it was a LL tune instead of the MM that is on this bike. I was able to tune that one in much easier than this bike. I'm loving the geometry of the Riot and the suspension is good but I can't quite get the action exactly where I want it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Thank you
    You're welcome? I searched but what kind of sag % are most people using? I've been shooting for 16mm on the shock travel ring to get about 28%. Does this suspension design like more or less sag than that for general all mountain riding?

I'm with stupid
    It likes any amount of sag you like. I have found that I can add some sag or take some away depending on the ride and if the terrain is smoother or more chatter and it pedals like a dream. Moab I ran like 35% sag to make it nice and pillow like on my butt after 4 days. XC stuff I run 25% no problems either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're welcome? I searched but what kind of sag % are most people using? I've been shooting for 16mm on the shock travel ring to get about 28%. Does this suspension design like more or less sag than that for general all mountain riding?
    The benefit of the Canfield suspension is that AS is independent of sag.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    I already have it. I don't find it to be bad. I just want a bit more ramp up at the end of the stroke.

There just seems to be this trend on this forum to dump the ccdba and get something else. I just wanted to know what people were having issues with. The shock is highly tuneable if the rider has the time to dial it in.
    I dunno. I'm pretty damn happy with my CCDBair. Maybe it has to do with weight (I'm around 155lbs) and terrain, which isn't super rocky but has plenty of bumps and speed. I did find that the XV can with some spacers and more HSC seemed to noticeably improve the ride quality over the standard can and less HSC. I haven't noticed any "packing" under repeated hits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Related to the Riot. I have wanted a shorter travel version of the Riot for a bit now. Have one, love it and its a gorgeous and capable bike. I just wanted a sportier feel on the smoother trails as the bike loves to corner and I don't want to compromise that but add some zing to the rest of the ride. I bought a Monarch in the 7.875 x 2.0 size after talking with Chris Canfield and him saying it is a blast. Holy heck was he right. This bike is now perfect for me. Running 140mm pike up front, 35% sag rear and in now pumps and pops every feature like nothing else in its category and still turns like nothing else I have ridden. It doesn't so much as feel like it has less travel even, just feels like its more progressive and lively everywhere. I highly recommend trying one out if anybody else has similar wants. According to Chris, this shock gives the bike 120 travel and since it is the same eye to eye, no change in geometry.
    Also want to try, but the shock i have, monarch rc3, have tunes ML
    Can i go with L compression tune,or need to do re-shimming to M?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Also want to try, but the shock i have, monarch rc3, have tunes ML
    Can i go with L compression tune,or need to do re-shimming to M?
    I would reshim, since the riot isn't very progressive, compression helps you not blow through travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I dunno. I'm pretty damn happy with my CCDBair. Maybe it has to do with weight (I'm around 155lbs) and terrain, which isn't super rocky but has plenty of bumps and speed. I did find that the XV can with some spacers and more HSC seemed to noticeably improve the ride quality over the standard can and less HSC. I haven't noticed any "packing" under repeated hits.
    Could very much be a weight factor. My riding weight is about 200#. I have read that the xv can doesn't help for heavier riders and actually makes it worse. I'm going to order a volume spacer and see how it feels as a cheap Attempt. Maybe add one more turn of hsc. Otherwise, if I sell my dh bike, I'll be getting a avalanche shock and pike cartridge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am thinking about double on Riot. Now I use Shimano slx m665 double system with hand switching on my hardtail. I hope use it on Riot too. But I still have not gotten frame. Is it enough room for double or triple crankset on Riot? My idea is mount and use 64 bcd ring on long climbs when it necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You won't be able to fit a double on the Riot without getting really wonky in your chainline. I believe you can't even run a standard double crankset without shaving off the 64 bcd tabs. It's a sacrifice for your short chainstays and big tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You won't be able to fit a double on the Riot without getting really wonky in your chainline. I believe you can't even run a standard double crankset without shaving off the 64 bcd tabs. It's a sacrifice for your short chainstays and big tire clearance.
    It is bad news. So as a conclusion, I should change my crank system to Direct Mount compatible. Is that correct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It doesn't need to be a direct mount specifically. It just needs to be a crank set that is 1x.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It doesn't need to be a direct mount specifically. It just needs to be a crank set that is 1x.
    Ok. What is about 64 bcd tabs? Most of the 1x old system has a 64 bcd tabs
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-bbea17dfba0b.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I may be completely off with this question, but if you used a dedicated 2x crank set and shaved off the 64 BCD tabs wouldnt you have chain line issues in all of the larger cogs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm not sure to be honest about how well a 2x would help or hurt your chain line. My SLX crank is older, it came with only two chainrings but also included a bashguard so I really think it was a 3x. Either way I shaved the 64 bcd tabs off and shimmed my BB appropriately so that the chainring wouldn't hit. I have a 30t and a 32t OneUp components oval CR it is threaded to accept the CR bolts from the outside so there's no CR nut on the inside. This allows me to have the ring as close as possible to the frame which gives me good chainline in all the cogs including the larger ones. The image shown above looks like it might be okay if you were to use low profile CR nuts but I would suspect that those large head CR nuts would give you the same issue as the 64 bcd tabs.

mtbr member
    So there are a few guys on here that went from an evil following to the riot. Any updates? I just spent a day in sedona az on an evil and it's very impressive compared to my riot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    So there are a few guys on here that went from an evil following to the riot. Any updates? I just spent a day in sedona az on an evil and it's very impressive compared to my riot.

Impressive in what way? The way your statement reads makes it sound like you liked the following more than the riot.

mtbr member
    Impressive in what way? The way your statement reads makes it sound like you liked the following more than the riot.
    I did. It's much more plush. Makes me think I need to really dig into my suspension settings on my riot. Climbed better, bike felt longer and I could really move around on it.

Could be that the bike was much lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    what fork and shock are you running?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Owned both a Riot and a Following. To be honest, I wasn't in love with either bike, but if I had to choose one of the two, it would definitely be the Riot. And that's from a Phoenix rider, so similar landscape to Sedona.

I will say, if you found the Evil to be more plush than the Riot, I suspect your suspension setup is wonky. But life is short; if you really like the Evil, go buy one and ride the hell out of it.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    what fork and shock are you running?
    Dvo diamond fork and dbaircs shock

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Owned both a Riot and a Following. To be honest, I wasn't in love with either bike, but if I had to choose one of the two, it would definitely be the Riot. And that's from a Phoenix rider, so similar landscape to Sedona.

I will say, if you found the Evil to be more plush than the Riot, I suspect your suspension setup is wonky. But life is short; if you really like the Evil, go buy one and ride the hell out of it.

What are you riding now blatant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Dvo diamond fork and dbaircs shock

My experience with dbaircs on the Riot is that it does not work well in chunky Phoenix/Sedona terrain.

Switching to a Pushed coil made a nice improvement and smoothed things out at higher speeds. Rear end feels balanced with front now, that has a 140 Pike with vorsprung luftkappe air piston upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does any try use Riot with 3.0 tires on 35 mm rim?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Canfield says not bigger than 2.8. There is a plus size tire thread on the Canfield forums for this exact conversation with a lot of pics of different tires for an idea of clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    My experience with dbaircs on the Riot is that it does not work well in chunky Phoenix/Sedona terrain.

Switching to a Pushed coil made a nice improvement and smoothed things out at higher speeds. Rear end feels balanced with front now, that has a 140 Pike with vorsprung luftkappe air piston upgrade.
    Did the luftkappe make a really big difference in the pike? I'm wanting to squeeze a bit more performance out of my fork too. I was looking at an avalanche cartridge to match with a chubbie when I get the extra money. Are you running any tokens with the luftkappe

What would be really cool is if the luftkappe could be run in conjunction with mrp's new air spring ramp controlller. I'm not a big fan of tokens.
    Last edited by A_street; 02-11-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Content

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I actually am using a Rockshox Vivid R2C Coil on my Riot. The Bros said I'm the only one they've heard of running it. I couldn't be happier though. It's a fantastic shock. Super tunable and I love the Counter Measure feature. It is so supple over small bumps.

mtbr member
    Did the luftkappe make a really big difference in the pike? I'm wanting to squeeze a bit more performance out of my fork too. I was looking at an avalanche cartridge to match with a chubbie when I get the extra money. Are you running any tokens with the luftkappe

What would be really cool is if the luftkappe could be run in conjunction with mrp's new air spring ramp controlller. I'm not a big fan of tokens.
    Made a fairly good difference and makes the spring curve more linear. Before the luftkappe with the standard 2 tokens the small bump sensitivity sucked because I had to run higher PSI to keep it from bottoming out. Going to 3 tokens fixed the small bump sensitivity but made mid stoke kind of soft and felt it ramped up little too sharply at end stroke.
    With the luftkappe I am running 1 token and about 15% more PSI than the standard 2 tokens and small bump sensitivity feels good and has a nicer linear ramp-up to end stroke.
    Its not an OH MY GOD difference, but its a very nice difference, worth the $65 and addressed my above issues with tokens/fork.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankmiester View Post
    What are you riding now blatant?
    Nomad.

Still looking for a solid backup/secondary bike. Just picked up a new 4.5C and sold it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nomad.

Still looking for a solid backup/secondary bike. Just picked up a new 4.5C and sold it.
    How do you feel the Riot compares to the nomad?

I feel ya with the secondary bike. I just built up a Niner Ros so I'm not putting so many miles on the Riot... esp on trails where the Riot is overkill.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ah, well, this IS the Canfield forum. I am a Canfield fan in general, but let's just say the two bikes aren't exactly comparable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Canfield says not bigger than 2.8. There is a plus size tire thread on the Canfield forums for this exact conversation with a lot of pics of different tires for an idea of clearance.
    Thank you. I know about Canfield view

mtbr member
    Can confirm. 3.0 will not fit.
    Thank you. I know about Canfield view

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ah, well, this IS the Canfield forum. I am a Canfield fan in general, but let's just say the two bikes aren't exactly comparable.
    A closer comparison would probably be the Bronson to the riot. The nomad is pretty much a shorter travel dh bike.

mtbr member
    A bit of upgraditis, Yari RC 140mm with Avalanche cartridge and torque end caps for my 240 hub. Previously had a Pike RCT3, Haven't had a chance to take it out on any trails yet.
    2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170212_112658_resized_1.jpg

I'm with stupid
    What did that end up costing you to do the yari with the avalanche upgrade?

mtbr member

I traded forks and bought the Cartridge with the optional FvAT/HSB,
    Rockshox Lyrik and Yari ,then I also bought the DT Swiss Torque Cap End Caps | Competitive Cyclist, all in all about $700 with taxes and shipping costs. Yes, I know it's a lot of money but it's all relative. You can't put a price on what makes you happy in life!

I forgot to add that I sent the fork to Avalanche to do the install, took about a 1 week turnaround.
    Last edited by acfsportsfan; 02-12-2017 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    I traded forks and bought the Cartridge with the optional FvAT/HSB,
    Rockshox Lyrik and Yari ,then I also bought the DT Swiss Torque Cap End Caps | Competitive Cyclist, all in all about $700 with taxes and shipping costs. Yes, I know it's a lot of money but it's all relative. You can't put a price on what makes you happy in life!

I forgot to add that I sent the fork to Avalanche to do the install, took about a 1 week turnaround.
    Did you have an Avy Cartridge in the Pike? I'd like to know a comparison with and without the FvAT/HSB.
    It takes half a joule more to accelerate Brass Nipples over Alloy Nipples on a 29er to 30kph.

mtbr member
    No I didn't, I did the trade because I wanted the stiffer Yari chassis with the bigger negative air chamber compared to the Pike. The Yari weighs more but I'm no toothpick either. I'm not too concerned about overall weight, the bike feels like it rides lighter then it weighs. I most likely will be doing the same with my Lyrik fork for my Balance but want to get some miles in first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Did anyone get their Riot with the DVO Topaz option. Would like to know how you like it if you did. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Did anyone get their Riot with the DVO Topaz option. Would like to know how you like it if you did. Thanks
    I didn't get mine that way but have the topaz diamond combo on my riot and I love it. .
    Shock was easy to set up and tune. I took it out to pisgah shortly after i built it up and it was the best performing bike I've ever ridden out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    have you gotten any ride time since the upgrade? What are you running out back; a woodie?

Im really on the fence with both of these upgrades.... I know that I wouldnt regret it. Ive been poking around the suspension forums to see what people are saying about the vorsprung and the mrp ramp control. No one has reported back on if it feels balanced to a coil shock in the rear though.

mtbr member
    have you gotten any ride time since the upgrade? What are you running out back; a woodie?

Im really on the fence with both of these upgrades.... I know that I wouldnt regret it. Ive been poking around the suspension forums to see what people are saying about the vorsprung and the mrp ramp control. No one has reported back on if it feels balanced to a coil shock in the rear though.
    No ride time in yet, I live in Northern California and we've been getting hammered by rain. Our trails are in no shape to ride, it's driving all of us crazy, were accustomed to riding during the winter. I have a Push 11.6, I had it factory re-tuned moved over from when I had an E29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    A bit of upgraditis, Yari RC 140mm with Avalanche cartridge and torque end caps for my 240 hub. Previously had a Pike RCT3, Haven't had a chance to take it out on any trails yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170212_112658_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1121047
    This is what I'll be doing, I got the Yari on Craigs suggestion. He said it's a lot better chassis than the pike. Bought a cubbie to go with it. Now I need to get a frame lol. Had a little hick up with my expendable income so I should be odering one soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Right now you can get a Yari for 500.00 or slightly cheaper. If you look around,They'll probably go up more soon. The avy cart is around 400.00 so for 900.00 you can have a custom tuned fork.

mtbr member

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-20170226_132118_resized_1.jpg
    So today I finally got a chance to ride on some trails and the first feeling I got was "wow" how soft the small bumps felt (small bump sensitivity was off the charts). Now I know my Pike was dialed pretty good but I guess you don't know how good it can be until you compare. On the decent when I picked up some good speed (32mph) with some chattery rutted sections, I felt very balanced between the fork & shock. Once again I thought I was dialed pretty good but I felt faster because I felt smoother all around. I'm 215lb geared up and I have my fork set at 90psi for 22% sag+- with only one token. So first initial ride was a success and maybe I'll try a little setting changes for comparison on upcoming rides. Hindsight is 20/20 but for those that are on the fence, I would recommend a Yari with an AVA Cartridge over a Pike RCT3 (roughly the same price)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good feedback. I pulled the trigger on the cartridge and a woodie last week. I'm excited to see how it turns out. Probably a few weeks out until Craig starts to even build my stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Made the move to another bike for this year. I have a large riot that was ridden since last summer.

I am thinking about selling the :

Frame and cane creek db-il coil w/ 450 il spring $2000.

Send me a pm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Im yelli owner in last 2 years and Im looking for used frame RIot in medium any colour,good condition if you have something send me pm thanks in advice Phill!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170226_132118_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	1123713
    So today I finally got a chance to ride on some trails and the first feeling I got was "wow" how soft the small bumps felt (small bump sensitivity was off the charts). Now I know my Pike was dialed pretty good but I guess you don't know how good it can be until you compare. On the decent when I picked up some good speed (32mph) with some chattery rutted sections, I felt very balanced between the fork & shock. Once again I thought I was dialed pretty good but I felt faster because I felt smoother all around. I'm 215lb geared up and I have my fork set at 90psi for 22% sag+- with only one token. So first initial ride was a success and maybe I'll try a little setting changes for comparison on upcoming rides. Hindsight is 20/20 but for those that are on the fence, I would recommend a Yari with an AVA Cartridge over a Pike RCT3 (roughly the same price)

What tune did you select on the cartridge?

mtbr member
    Nearly 18 months on this beast, has been a blast so far. So Canfield, when are we going to see a lighter carbon weapon? My body and wallet are ready!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    What tune did you select on the cartridge?
    Spoke with Craig and told him I'm an all around type of rider and he recommended a AM/Trail tune especially for this frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Anyone looking for a Riot : Complete 3k obo or frame only option lmk.

16' riot large frame
    w/ cane creek dbinline coil w/ valt spring
    cane creek remote shock opt lockout on handle bar mount
    fox transfer 150mm dropper post
    box carbon bars (780 width w/ 25mm rise and 35mm diameter)
    raceface atlas stem (35mm 35 clamp)
    shimano xt brakes with ice tech rotors (203 front and 180 rear)
    maxxis ardent rear and minion front
    x1 crankset with 32t chain ring raceface narrow wide
    x1 chain
    x1 shifter
    x1 cassette
    chromag lynx dt saddle
    sram threaded bb
    cane creek headset

Pike RCT3 fork : fork was rebuilt by suspension experts 6 months ago with complete overhaul. They reported that everything was fine but that the dampener lockout (lockout knob for climbing) on the top had bad detents. The dampener functions as designed and was tested on their dyno but does not lock out the suspension. can call them and get a copy of repair if needed.

Wheelset :
    Custom built wheelset including industry nine 100x15 front and 142mm rear hubs in teal laced to easton arc 30 hoops w/ dt swiss spokes and nipples.
    *rear rim does have two small dings to the lip but are purely cosmetic as inspected by local wheel builder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Before I order, anyone looking to sell a size small riot frame? No shock needed. Here is your chance if you you think you should of gotten a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    large frame option 2016' blk/blk with headset , cane creek coil il , valt spring, opt lever. $1500 bucks plus shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoul View Post
    Im yelli owner in last 2 years and Im looking for used frame RIot in medium any colour,good condition if you have something send me pm thanks in advice Phill!
    We have a few of our 2016 demos available. PM me for details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like the geometry and suspension design of the Riot. And now I am looking for used frame in Large good condition. If you have something contact to me please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a 2016 update canfield riot frame size large black with ano green links with cane creek db air cs including headset I will be listing for sale soon. $1750 Australian dollars. I am in Perth, Australia but are happy to post internationally at buyers cost. The frame will be posted in the original canfield bros box.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tire Question: I mostly use my Riot in Plus mode. I have been using Maxxis 2.8 Rekons front and back and they are great. Want to try the 2.8 DHF and DHRII for the new season coming as I am planning on riding a lot of rocky rougher terrain. I know the front will fit on the Mrp Stage in front, but not sure on the DHRII on the rear. Is anyone using this on the rear. Also this will be adding an extra pound of weight and not sure if it will be worth it for the extra traction and durability. Thanks, Jesse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Tire Question: I mostly use my Riot in Plus mode. I have been using Maxxis 2.8 Rekons front and back and they are great. Want to try the 2.8 DHF and DHRII for the new season coming as I am planning on riding a lot of rocky rougher terrain. I know the front will fit on the Mrp Stage in front, but not sure on the DHRII on the rear. Is anyone using this on the rear. Also this will be adding an extra pound of weight and not sure if it will be worth it for the extra traction and durability. Thanks, Jesse.
    I believe dustyduke had that combo mounted on his riot. He posted the photos in the plus size riot thread. Clearance was ok from what I remember but if you hit any mud at all you may run into issues.

mtbr member
    I ran the DHR II on the front, but specifically used the Rekon + in the back because clearance was tight. Rekon's definitely have better clearance. I had a rim that was measured at 35mm internally. Per Dusty's advise, i went with the Rekon+ and didn't regret it one bit. It all depends on your rim measurement. If you're around a i30, my guess is that it'll fit. i35 will be tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, your right, the Rekon is right at the limit of the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How did you like the DHRII as a front?

mtbr member
    How did you like the DHRII as a front?
    Loved it. Awesome tire, but man there is some serious rolling resistance haha. I felt it on the climbs no doubt. Maybe higher PSI would have helped, but I much preferred the plus ride. I was 12 front and 14 rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am currently running 2.8 DHF on i30 front and back. No problems. This weekend was the first time that the rear rubbed, but I had aired down by feel in the middle of my ride because I was having a hard time in the depth snow I was riding in. Honestly it was really rubbing on a build up of icy mud and when I got home I checked and I was at 10.5 psi which was lower than I had the front at. Still felt good on a small drop. These minions are very supportive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    One thing I didn't address was if the DHF was worth it or not on the rear. It's winter here with ice, snow and mud so it's hard for me to say. The Rekon is a really great tire, especially on the rear. I spent the second half of the year on it last year. Once spring is over I will most likely leave the DHF on front and throw the Rekon back onto the rear. For most of my trails here in western New York the Rekon is plenty for the rear. I will probably rock the Minion again for the bike parks though. If it gets really dry around here again this summer I have a WTB Ranger I might even mount on the rear for even less weight and better rolling resistance. DHF 3C up front is amazing and will remain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, just ordered one dhf 3c for the front and will use my rekon for the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am looking for vector image of C from Canfield emblem. Does any one have it?
    Name:  head-tube-badge.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  p4pb8300581.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  9.8 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Raleighguy2, you posted on the suspension forum that you were going to compare the Topaz and Jade on your Riot. Did you ever get a chance to do that? Anyone else ride the Riot with both. I really like the Jade on my Balance. Only coil I've had. Going to get a
    Riot soon. Probably get the Jade. What's another pound? Maybe when they make a carbon Riot I will start thinking about the weight of my bike. But maybe not. It's the ride that matters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Raleighguy2, you posted on the suspension forum that you were going to compare the Topaz and Jade on your Riot. Did you ever get a chance to do that? Anyone else ride the Riot with both. I really like the Jade on my Balance. Only coil I've had. Going to get a
    Riot soon. Probably get the Jade. What's another pound? Maybe when they make a carbon Riot I will start thinking about the weight of my bike. But maybe not. It's the ride that matters.
    I have not yet had the chance to do that yet. It's been winter here and I'm just now getting my riot back out. I've been between the riot and epo depending on conditions. I'm just glad I can put the fat bike up for now. I kind of spaced it since winter hit. And I started a spring remodel on my nimble. But I hope here soon to find out

I'm with stupid
    So many canfields so little time.

mtbr member
    So many canfields so little time.

The struggle or real

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Carbon Riot

Thanks for everyone's interest in the possibility of a carbon Riot. It's pretty awesome to see everyone as excited about new products as we are!

We feel we need to address a few things, especially regarding the timeline. The cat was let out of the bag on this one a bit early, and while it is certainly in the works, it's not something you can expect to see in the near future at this point we are hoping for spring 2018.

While we initially anticipated getting this to market sooner, we are not willing to rush anything or sacrifice quality on our first carbon full-suspension bike. If you know our brand, if you know our bikes, then you understand that even with carbon, weight savings will come second for us to strength and durability. Given our strict standards, were a bit behind our initial time frame projections with development.

That being said, we are not in a rush as we believe the performance, value and durability of our current well-engineered aluminum frame is going to be tough to beat. The Riot Alu is an exceptionally performing bike (as many of you know), and we're pretty damn proud of it! The current Riot is the most fun, capable and efficient full-suspension 29er on the market.

We will keep you in the loop as we have more information, but won't bring ANY bike to market until it deserves a skull on the headtube. For now, we hope you'll be as confident as we are that the current Riot kicks ass.

Now go ride!

-The Bros.

mtbr member
    Being that I dropped a few grand on a Riot & Balance in 2016, I'm in no hurry for lusting after a new carbon bike. So for a selfish perspective, please take your time.

I'm with stupid
    Being that I dropped a few grand on a Riot & Balance in 2016, I'm in no hurry for lusting after a new carbon bike. So for a selfish perspective, please take your time.
    Im with you, I did the exact same thing.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    ...at this point we are hoping for spring 2018.
    Wait... so I have to ride my Riot for at least another year?! F*ck yeah!

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-img_4938.jpg
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyone's interest in the possibility of a carbon Riot. It's pretty awesome to see everyone as excited about new products as we are!

We feel we need to address a few things, especially regarding the timeline. The cat was let out of the bag on this one a bit early, and while it is certainly in the works, it's not something you can expect to see in the near future at this point we are hoping for spring 2018.

While we initially anticipated getting this to market sooner, we are not willing to rush anything or sacrifice quality on our first carbon full-suspension bike. If you know our brand, if you know our bikes, then you understand that even with carbon, weight savings will come second for us to strength and durability. Given our strict standards, were a bit behind our initial time frame projections with development.

That being said, we are not in a rush as we believe the performance, value and durability of our current well-engineered aluminum frame is going to be tough to beat. The Riot Alu is an exceptionally performing bike (as many of you know), and we're pretty damn proud of it! The current Riot is the most fun, capable and efficient full-suspension 29er on the market.

We will keep you in the loop as we have more information, but won't bring ANY bike to market until it deserves a skull on the headtube. For now, we hope you'll be as confident as we are that the current Riot kicks ass.

Now go ride!

-The Bros.
    The current riot is bad ass I love mine!! Just took it to wind rock bike park and did the down hill runs with it with ryan sullivan and I have to say this bike is ****ing bad ass!!! Performed flawlessly. Only thing that held it back was my lack of skill in some places so rock on keep doing what you guys do!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it's not something you can expect to see in the near future at this point we are hoping for spring 2018.

Man, that's like 3 hub standards away!!! Definitely post-Boost and Turbo Boost

I don't envy you guys. It's gotta be tough tooling up for carbon. I'm too cheap for carbon anyway, so keep up the good aluminum work. My only Riot request would be if you guys could offer it in some of the amazing colors that the Yelli/Nimble offered.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Man, that's like 3 hub standards away!!! Definitely post-Boost and Turbo Boost

I don't envy you guys. It's gotta be tough tooling up for carbon. I'm too cheap for carbon anyway, so keep up the good aluminum work. My only Riot request would be if you guys could offer it in some of the amazing colors that the Yelli/Nimble offered.
    Yes and a big fork so it is on par with the 5.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    at this point we are hoping for spring 2018.

While
    At the same time, retrofit boost rear-triangle please.
    now is considering go or wait, though I'm sure I could be happy with even Alu.

mtbr member

Took my riot to windrock for its first park day. She did good

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have one request of the carbon Riot - can you put a flip chip on the rear axle to switch between fun/rowdy mode and serious/stable mode? I'm thinking 414mm and 434mm chain stay options

mtbr member
    Hmm, have been thinking of upgrading recently (have been on a gen 1 since release). But maybe I should hold off another year and see what the brothers come up with in a carbon version. There's not much out there I'm all the excited for over the Riot at the moment, I just come down with a case of upgraditis every now and again.

Keep us in the loop Vin!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I have one request of the carbon Riot - can you put a flip chip on the rear axle to switch between fun/rowdy mode and serious/stable mode? I'm thinking 414mm and 434mm chain stay options

Replaceable dropout system like Intense does/did would probably work. Maybe offer three different lengths 414, 424 and 434.

http://www.thedirtywheel.com/uploads...83198_orig.jpg

I'm with stupid
    I had replaceable drop outs on a bike. It was a constant battle to keep them from creaking. I am not a fan. I think that would be a deal breaker for me. Hell even my derailleur drop out on my riot was creaking so drop outs too would make your bike creak like we'll like a intense.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think replaceable drop outs would be a bad idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the formula suspension that gives the riot such efficient pedaling no matter the travel point would not work as well if you had the ability to keep changing the pivot point that the suspension is moving around. The stock configuration would work, but the pedaling characteristics could not be kept the same in all drop out locations. So you would be compromising just to be able to change geometry a little bit.

i was going to suggest that maybe an update to the current riot with a little more travel would be pretty cool. After all, most bike companies do an update to their name offerings every 3-5 years. 2018 would be the 3 year mark.

mtbr member
    On the weight issue your carbon Riot doesn't have to be the lightest option in its class, but should be similar to the other comparable bikes. Let's not confuse heavy with equating to strong or light equating to weak. As engineers you know that's not true.

If a competitor can make a carbon frame that's 1lb lighter and does not break any more often that a carbon Riot than the Riot is not a stronger more durable bike it's just heavier.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Assuming the carbon Riot will have Boost spacing. It would be nice if the aluminum Riot was updated with Boost to allow for easy transition of parts. I'd place an order today if this were the case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Assuming the carbon Riot will have Boost spacing. It would be nice if the aluminum Riot was updated with Boost to allow for easy transition of parts. I'd place an order today if this were the case.
    totally agree.

mtbr member
    ^^I'm waiting on the carbon version too with Boost! One thing I'm concerned about tho is if you'll be prone to foot rub with Boost rear spacing and such short chainstays; guessing that could be a real issue. Kinda hoping they lengthen the CS length to 16.5" like on the Balance for a little better HS stability and rear shock leverage. Just thinking out loud...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I heard from a little birdie that the carbon Riot will mirror the current Riot geo and specs with obvious updates (boost, etc...).

If you make the chainstays longer, then...it's not a Riot. 1/4" won't make any noticeable difference so you'd probably have to go up around 17" to feel an increase in stability. But...then you start to lose the amazing agility and...it's not a Riot.

The "how'd they do that" geo combined with 140mm of travel is this bike's calling card. There's nothing else like it. Change it much and it may still be a great bike but...it's not a Riot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    If you make the chainstays longer, then...it's not a Riot. 1/4" won't make any noticeable difference so you'd probably have to go up around 17" to feel an increase in stability. But...then you start to lose the amazing agility and...it's not a Riot.
    This ^^^. Make the CS longer and a lot of people will lose interest. And it's not like there are not already a lot of good 140mm 29er choices with longer CS in the market to ride if that's your bag. Canfield doesn't need to add another to a crowded field.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com