It's zero stack, promise

Caged bearings, just needs proactive cleaning if you live in mud land
    man, you're right... and i was wrong:

FSA Gravity 2 Headset ZS49/28,6 | ZS49/40

sorry... but it's an interesting thing i learnt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    I just pre-ordered a small raw. This is the bike I have been waiting for and I have missed having a raw bike since I sold my last Turner. Now I need to sell my Kona Process and my Intense Carbine.
    What size Yelli do you have? Im 5'11" and have a med. yelli but 80mm stem I think Id go up a size of the Riot and hava shorter stem?

Chris Bling
    Guys!!

DB Inline or DB Air CS? Why are you choosing to go one way or another?

Rider weight, riding style, weight savings, reliability, looks, etc?

Getting ready to press the 'submit' button and need a final tip one way or another
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks great, Canfield!

I'm a 6'4" rider who wanted a Balance but it wasn't available in a good size for me. I was planning on a Following but the XL Riot looks so good, i just ordered one!

August can't come soon enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Guys!!

DB Inline or DB Air CS? Why are you choosing to go one way or another?

Rider weight, riding style, weight savings, reliability, looks, etc?

Getting ready to press the 'submit' button and need a final tip one way or another
    I'm going DBair simply because I already own one.

I was pleased with the DB Inline I had on my Phantom, although I did have to send it on fairly early on for warranty replacement.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Curious to see what the max tire width is on the rear. Hoping it can at least fit a 275x2.8.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the awesome comments and questions. Sorry for the delay in my post, Sean and I have been SLAMMED with everything launching our two new bikes this month.

I scanned through the last few pages and hopefully I didn't miss everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey Lance, what is the weight of your Riot in the photos?
    Our current proto Riot is just under 32lbs with the meaty 2.5 Minions, CCDB Air and full DH parts. I would expect most builds to come in at +/- 30lbs with more trail oriented builds.

So in short, why would you go with a DB Air vs a DB InLine? I know the DB Air are predominantly on bigger bikes, but would there be an advantage over the InLine for a 140mm bike?
    On trail, the Inline and Air CS feel very similar. For riders that have longer DH style descents, the added oil volume of the Air CS offers added control over sustained rough, faster terrain. The 176g weight savings of the Inline sure is nice though!

The Riot has a linear to light progressive feel through its travel. This gives a deep and smooth feel with a slight ramp to prevent harsh bottom outs. Also, none of our bikes require a shock with any special valving. The Cane Creeks we offer only have base tunes to help you dial your bikes in.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm 5'9" and going off of top tube length, I'd go with the medium but there is no way I could fit a dropper post with an 18" seat tube and the reach seems super long for me. The reach and seat tube length on the small look great but the top tube seems a little short for me. Any thoughts from Canfield?
    At 5'9” we would recommend a Medium if you want to run a shorter stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    I still want to know what's the biggest ring to clear the chain stay.. and the smallest ring that fits before the chain hits the stay.
    The largest we tested was an XX1 36t. 28t or even 26t should fit on most setups.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Curious to see what the max tire width is on the rear. Hoping it can at least fit a 275x2.8.
    The largest tire we tested was a 29er Maxxis Minion 2.5. As we designed the Riot to be the most fun, nimble and aggressive 29er on the market, our 27.5+ testing is extremely limited.

On the fork travel topic - We designed the Riot around a 140mm fork. This will give the the most balanced feel, while still retaining it's aggressive nature. For customers wanting a more "trail" feel, a 130mm will give it slightly quicker steering. The issue with adding a longer fork is it is going to start changing the geo out of the range that we designed the Riot around. Depending on the A to C, a 150mm fork may still work without raising the BB too much. A 160mm will drastically throw the geo off and be out of the range that we tested the Riot, therefor we do not recommend this. This is a bit of the caveat we go through with design. While we want our bikes to fit a variety of fork options, there still is a proper realm where the bike will perform best. For the Riot, we believe it is with a 140mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Judging from the Balance compared to the Following, the Evil will have higher anti-squat. Whether or not that's a good thing is a personal preference. Both being slack and having short stays, Canfield being shorter on the stays of course. The Following also has a lower BB, also a preference thing.

I currently own the Following and I will say it is the best overall bike I've owned. I've also pre-ordered the Riot, mainly because I love the Canfield brand and how this bike breaks a few boundaries previously thought to be unbreakable, 414mm chainstays and 140mm of travel. The Canfield Balance intrigued me, but I'm a 29er diehard so I couldn't resist once I saw the Riot announced back in December.

I'll be glad to compare them both once my Riot shows up
    Looking forward to that, though I hope the Riot will have an Avy-tuned shock on it so the comparison is fair

mtbr member
    Large black/black ordered, amped!

Mr KVT, when you say a 150mm fork may still work I'm assuming it would be best to run it with a zero stack?

And thanks for your replies, they go a long way!

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009

Compared to 26"

It would be like climbing @ 180mm.. 140 or 145mm w/ zero stack bottom would be perfect I'm thinking.

It's not too hard to raise the air spring w/ the screw on spacers for lifts
    Last edited by J:; 04-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Large black/black ordered, amped!

Mr KVT, when you say a 150mm fork may still work I'm assuming it would be best to run it with a zero stack?

And thanks for your replies, they go a long way!
    Bigcrs - Congrats man! I know you have been waiting for the bike for a long, LONG time! The issue is there is not a high quality ZS option with a 49.6 lower when running a tapered steerer. We are just learning about that FSA headset, but that is a rather small area to squeeze in a durable bearing. There's a reason why most headset companies do not make this option.

mtbr member
    I was thinking that they must be miniscule bearings and that can't last long...

I'm planning on 140.

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    Not sure. It's a spare headset I picked up.. Orbit E for straight 1.5" steerers and 1.5" head tubes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Question for Canfield, are there other forks you have tried or are going to try or is the Pike gonna be the fork to get for the Riot. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Question for Canfield, are there other forks you tried or going to try or is the pike gonna be the fork to get for the Riot. Thanks
    We going to be offering DVO Diamond packages and rumor has it that BOS will have something in this category as well. I'm hoping to get the Diamond package live on the webstore tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    We going to be offering DVO Diamond packages and rumor has it that BOS will have something in this category as well. I'm hoping to get the Diamond package live on the webstore tomorrow.
    Funny, I just emailed DVO. Can the package include a Jade as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Funny, I just emailed DVO. Can the package include a Jade as well
    that would be really nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fox 36 150

Stoked - yesterday I ordered a Riot XL black, blue links

I was intending to use the Fox 36 150 that's currently on my Covert 29. A2C height is 9mm more than the 140mm Pike....think that adds about 5mm to the BB height and takes half a degree off the head angle? Deal breaker? Think I can work with it

That FSA ZS49 looks like it'll last five minutes.

Do I just "up" my order to the DVO package???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

MRP Stage?

Will you also be offering an MRP Stage package?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just ordered a large black riot with black linkages from Rod at Crankin. A pleasure to deal with and highly recommended if you are ordering from Australia.

I was perfectly happy with my banshee prime but couldn't resist the riot after reading about the 16.3 inch chain stays. Can't wait to try it out.

mtbr member
    How is CB's going to handle pre-order payments?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    How is CB's going to handle pre-order payments?
    Paid in full with ability to cancel with full refund at anytime prior to taking delivery is what I was told.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Paid in full with ability to cancel with full refund at anytime prior to taking delivery is what I was told.
    yup
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    man, you're right... and i was wrong:

FSA Gravity 2 Headset ZS49/28,6 | ZS49/40

sorry... but it's an interesting thing i learnt
    No worries, I didn't know about that one either..

This one is FSA Orbit E 1.5 , it's from the bigger fork era (think 180mm totem straight 1.5" steerer). It has steel cups, bearings will be fine for couple seasons and they can just be swapped (unless you constantly bottom the fork). Got it more than a few years back so it's probably a moot point if you can't get them anymore..

mtbr member
    Riot fork packages are up! Packages will include a Riot with either the CC Inline or DB Air CS and your choice of:

2015 Canfield Brothers Riot 29er FS-forks-options.jpg
    Rock Shox Pike Solo Air RTC3 -Starting at $2875
    DVO Diamond - Starting at $2900
    MRP Stage - Starting at $2875

For more information, please see our webstore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is it too late to order a fork if you have already ordered a frame?

PS. The MRP stage link is broken on your page

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bike looks great... been looking for a aggressive 29'er to complement my uprising and I may order this i instead of the following.

The sizing does have me a little confused though... I'm 5'7" / 30" inseam on a medium uprising with 50mm stem.

Sizing recommendation from Canfield?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Is it too late to order a fork if you have already ordered a frame?

PS. The MRP stage link is broken on your page
    Email Sean, he can dial you in with fork packages. Thanks for the heads up on the link. FIXED!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some of those deals are pretty tempting. When you say "Packages starting at $2875" I assume that means $2100 + $x for the shock? (Ignoring the MSRP price the shock is listed for on the linked page)

mtbr member
    I'm guessing it means "frame+DB Inline+Fork", plus $175 for the DB Air.

mtbr member
    Vic-

Is there a rad edit of someone thrashing a Riot in the works? I'd like to try and see how many times I could watch it between now and August

Also, any more pics of the Raw frame?

mtbr member
    Can any of you who have been on CB suspension designs tell me how they perform or what style they are similar too? And the last thing before I submit my order is the seat angle, am I going to get that in the bike feel, and I'm worried about knee pain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great discount prices on the forks. Was going to go for a used pike, but these prices so good, I'm gonna go new. I'm leaning towards the Stage or DVO Diamond. Anyone have any experience with these on other bikes regardless of size.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Some of those deals are pretty tempting. When you say "Packages starting at $2875" I assume that means $2100 + $x for the shock? (Ignoring the MSRP price the shock is listed for on the linked page)
    Frame , shock and fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Frame , shock and fork.
    I would buy this, with 150/157mm rear hub spacing...
    Please stop telling me about your quiver, it makes me feel unclean...

http://www.mistermcfeely.com
    <- My Blog

mtbr member
    So the DVO is 44mm offset? Or is it? DVO's web site says 44, but there's no separate info for the 27 vs 29" versions (including the weight, which is obviously going to be different) and I at least hope a company so esteemed would be making different offsets for different wheel size.

On paper that's the fork I want, and the discount is nice, but is it going to handle properly?

mtbr member
    I'd think it's a 51mm offset, but who knows...

XFusion's Revel(if it ever comes out) is being offered only in 46mm offset for both 27.5 and 29. Which for them is a cost saving measure I'm sure since it is an Inverted design and both wheel sizes can use the same lowers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks like 51mm, according to this.

Also looks like the A2C on the DVO Diamond 140mm is only 5mm less than my Fox 36 150mm (assuming DVO 160mm@572mm == 140mm@552mm; the Fox is 557mm).

Chris Bling
    Vic-

Is there a rad edit of someone thrashing a Riot in the works? I'd like to try and see how many times I could watch it between now and August

Also, any more pics of the Raw frame?
    Yes please! Vids would be very nice.

This will be my first raw frame. Pretty stoked
    Affordable Custom Wheels

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Great discount prices on the forks. Was going to go for a used pike, but these prices so good, I'm gonna go new. I'm leaning towards the Stage or DVO Diamond. Anyone have any experience with these on other bikes regardless of size.
    MRP Stage is awesome. I have one on my Banshee Phantom. Better fork than the Pike it replaced IMO.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    MRP Stage is awesome. I have one on my Banshee Phantom. Better fork than the Pike it replaced IMO.
    Please expand on this. I have a Pike on both my Yelli and Process and am curious how the MRP is better. I am open to try something new, but the Pike (for me) has set a very high bar.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmm do I get a Diamond or stick with the Fox 36-- hard to decide without reviews on the Diamond
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Please expand on this. I have a Pike on both my Yelli and Process and am curious how the MRP is better. I am open to try something new, but the Pike (for me) has set a very high bar.
    A buddy i ride with really loves his Stage. He has a Pike on a different bike and prefers the Stage (but who knows how much of that is just the bike difference).

For me this was the review that got me interested in the Stage: MRP Stage Suspension Fork

That said, the Stage weighs more (~4.4lbs for 29er versus ~4.14lbs for the Pike) and costs more (Pike RCT3 is about $650 new in a lot of places, the cheapest i have seen the Stage for is in this deal at ~$800), so i wouldn't drop everything to go buy a Stage if you have a Pike.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    While I can't comment on that exact fork, I can tell you that the customer service at MRP is stellar. I've been on a white brothers fork for a few years. They are very open about giving people all the necessary info for doing service yourself but they are also very fast if you have to send it to them for something. Eric responds to all emails and calls promptly.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I won't pretend to know all the intricate suspension tech, but I will say that the MRP at least for me is higher quality suspension. Never dives, rides high in its travel, very tunable. You just forget that it's there - which is the highest compliment I can give to a fork.

Nothing against the Pike - I owned one and thought it was the best 29er fork I had owned. I just think that the MRP is even better as far as suspension quality. Going from Pike to Stage was kind of like going from my old Fox fork to the Pike. Eye opening.

The stage is a little noisy - it gives a whooshing sound on big hits. Doesn't bother me at all but it might bother some that like really quiet bikes. Also the Qtaper thru axle is harder to use than the big brands - makes installing the wheel more of a two handed operation. But these are very small negatives IMO.

MRP customer service is excellent - they are very responsive and quick to help if you need them.

As for price - try Bikerbob or Chad at Red Barn and you will find more competitive prices compared to the big brands.

More comments from me and others here:

MRP Stage

MRP Stage Suspension Fork

Chris Bling
    I won't pretend to know all the intricate suspension tech, but I will say that the MRP at least for me is higher quality suspension. Never dives, rides high in its travel, very tunable. You just forget that it's there - which is the highest compliment I can give to a fork.

Nothing against the Pike - I owned one and thought it was the best 29er fork I had owned. I just think that the MRP is even better as far as suspension quality. Going from Pike to Stage was kind of like going from my old Fox fork to the Pike. Eye opening.

The stage is a little noisy - it gives a whooshing sound on big hits. Doesn't bother me at all but it might bother some that like really quiet bikes. Also the Qtaper thru axle is harder to use than the big brands - makes installing the wheel more of a two handed operation. But these are very small negatives IMO.

MRP customer service is excellent - they are very responsive and quick to help if you need them.

As for price - try Bikerbob or Chad at Red Barn and you will find more competitive prices compared to the big brands.

MRP Stage- Mtbr.com

MRP Stage Suspension Fork- Mtbr.com
    Thanks man. I appreciate the comparison. Have any links for Bikerbob or Red Barn? Seems to be quite a few of them out in the motorcycle world as well
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Red Barn

1 406-363-2662

I have their number in my contact list

AOK
    mtbr member
    Thanks man. I appreciate the comparison. Have any links for Bikerbob or Red Barn? Seems to be quite a few of them out in the motorcycle world as well
    http://redbarnbicycles.com

http://www.bikerbob.com

Both of these guys are more "call or email me" places as you can see from the websites.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Red Barn

1 406-363-2662

I have their number in my contact list
    Hahaha why does that not surprise me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    So the DVO is 44mm offset? Or is it? DVO's web site says 44, but there's no separate info for the 27 vs 29" versions (including the weight, which is obviously going to be different) and I at least hope a company so esteemed would be making different offsets for different wheel size.

On paper that's the fork I want, and the discount is nice, but is it going to handle properly?
    We just spoke to DVO and the 29er Diamond is a 51mm offset, which puts it right inline with the offset we have been recommending to our customer base. Our webstore is updated with those numbers. Also, for those of you looking for more numbers, the A to C on the Diamond is 552mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm piecing together parts for this frame -- what size stem would you guys recommend starting with? (I realize a lot has to do with personal preference, but i have to buy something to start with...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Will there be anywhere in VT one could demo an XL Riot this summer?

mtbr member
    I'm piecing together parts for this frame -- what size stem would you guys recommend starting with? (I realize a lot has to do with personal preference, but i have to buy something to start with...)
    We designed the Riot around shorter stems. We build our demos with 50mm, but I'll be running my personal Riot with a 40mm-ish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just a quick question on sizing. What size is recommended for 6-6'1 with around a 35 1/2 inseam? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 with a 34.5 inch inseam and ordered a large at Canfield's recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You think the XL would be too big. With a 40 or 50 stem.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6' 1 and 1/2 and i'd go xl

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Bike looks great... been looking for a aggressive 29'er to complement my uprising and I may order this i instead of the following.

The sizing does have me a little confused though... I'm 5'7" / 30" inseam on a medium uprising with 50mm stem.

Sizing recommendation from Canfield?
    Well.. No sizing advice for shorter guys I guess. Might be for the best as the geometry seems to favor taller riders as alluded to earlier. With my current seat height at ~27 1/8" I'd be pretty jammed against the bb I believe.. More than any other bike I'm aware of anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysrubi View Post
    You think the XL would be too big. With a 40 or 50 stem.

Sounds like have a similar reach to me, but with an inch longer legs. I think you'd do well on the large. I was told that I'm on the cusp between medium and large so that should put you firmly in the large range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    We just spoke to DVO and the 29er Diamond is a 51mm offset, which puts it right inline with the offset we have been recommending to our customer base. Our webstore is updated with those numbers. Also, for those of you looking for more numbers, the A to C on the Diamond is 552mm.
    So the Ano Fern Green is not that far off from the DVO Ano Green, right?

Such colorways. Much Green. Wow!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm 6'2" with 34-35 inseam and monkey arms. If I order a Riot (which I likely will) it'll be an XL. This is based on the numbers relative to my current XL Phantom, which fits awesome with a 40mm stem.

mtbr member
    I'm basing my large Riot off the fit of my large Phantom

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just a quick question on sizing. What size is recommended for 6-6'1 with around a 35 1/2 inseam? Thanks

I'm very similar measurements and have ordered a large frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Well.. No sizing advice for shorter guys I guess. Might be for the best as the geometry seems to favor taller riders as alluded to earlier. With my current seat height at ~27 1/8" I'd be pretty jammed against the bb I believe.. More than any other bike I'm aware of anyway.
    I am 5' 11" with short legs. I ride a large Yelli with a seat height of 27 3/4" which lets me squeeze in a 125mm KS Supernatural dropper. I run narrower 750mm bars with a 45mm stem, compared to my other bikes at 780-785. I would think you should be on a medium.

mtbr member
    I'm 187cm, I ride an XL Yelli and a Large The One, both with 50mm stem. I feel ok with both, with the Riot I'm thinking I'll order a Large.
    Reach of the L Riot is longer than what I have on the XL Yelli, ETT will not be that much shorter at my saddle height, plus I don't like the long seat tube of the XL...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I am 5' 11" with short legs. I ride a large Yelli with a seat height of 27 3/4" which lets me squeeze in a 125mm KS Supernatural dropper. I run narrower 750mm bars with a 45mm stem, compared to my other bikes at 780-785. I would think you should be on a medium.
    Define short legs? I'm a hair under 5 11 and 31 inch inseam and they recommended a large.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi really excited about the riot. It would be good to get some more information on rider height/inseam range for the different bikes -- I know that's quite difficult!
    Im 5'11" with 32" inseam and have a med yelli with a thomson 410mm seatpost almost at max and a 80mm stem, its pretty comfortable but I tried it with a 60mm stem and it felt pretty short and went back to 80mm. So Im still tossing up between Med and Large Riot but leaning towards the large with 40-50mm stem. Thanks for any additional info on range of rider heights each size would suit -- to get tome idea of cross-over. Many thanks,
    Pat

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

MRP Stage- Mtbr.com

MRP Stage Suspension Fork- Mtbr.com
    I hope you don't mind me playing devil's advocate a little bit here:

In comparing the two it seems like the Pike is 1/4lb lighter (4.14lbs vs. 4.4 for 29"), has bigger stanchions (35 vs. 34) and winds up at least $150 cheaper (pretty easy to find an RCT3 Pike for $650 new, versus $800 on this deal for a Stage which is the best price i've seen). The Pike also seems more likely to have an upgrade path with better dampers, low friction seals, etc.

Have you tried any of the upgraded Pike stuff (Avalanche cartridge, low friction seals, or whatever else is out there)? How is the flex on the Stage compared to a Pike? (The Pike gets dinged for stiffness against the Fox 36, so going the other direction worries me)

I have a buddy who has a Stage and a Pike (albeit on different bikes) and he prefers the MRP as well, but i'm still a little undecided. The Pike just seems like a hard deal to beat and it has room to get better.

(Edit: i just realized that my post from yesterday actually did go through and i basically said the same thing, so sorry for the duplicate post )

mtbr member
    I just added a Stage to my order. I'm anxious to try it out. I have Pikes on my Process and Carbine and they have been excellent, but the reviews on the Stage have been stellar.
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I added the Diamond to mine.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member

In comparing the two it seems like the Pike is 1/4lb lighter (4.14lbs vs. 4.4 for 29"), has bigger stanchions (35 vs. 34) and winds up at least $150 cheaper (pretty easy to find an RCT3 Pike for $650 new, versus $800 on this deal for a Stage which is the best price i've seen). The Pike also seems more likely to have an upgrade path with better dampers, low friction seals, etc.

Have you tried any of the upgraded Pike stuff (Avalanche cartridge, low friction seals, or whatever else is out there)?

I have a buddy who has a Stage and a Pike (albeit on different bikes) and he prefers the MRP as well, but i'm still a little undecided. The Pike just seems like a hard deal to beat and it has room to get better.
    As an owner of a 2015 Fox 36 with a newly installed Avy cartridge, I think it is a worthy upgrade. Some folks want custom, some don't. I have no doubts the Pike could be made better with an Avy cartridge and custom tune. If you feel like you'll eventually go the custom route, the Pike would be the better choice. However if you're not inclined to get a custom tune, the MRP might be better in stock form.

The trouble I had with my Pike was that it blew through travel no matter how many tokens or sag adjustments I tried. From all accounts so far, the Stage is much improved in that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Well I added the Diamond to mine.
    Well you're obligated to since you got the DVO green links

Chris Bling

Have you tried any of the upgraded Pike stuff (Avalanche cartridge, low friction seals, or whatever else is out there)?

As an owner of a 2015 Fox 36 with a newly installed Avy cartridge, I think it is a worthy upgrade. Some folks want custom, some don't. I have no doubts the Pike could be made better with an Avy cartridge and custom tune. If you feel like you'll eventually go the custom route, the Pike would be the better choice. However if you're not inclined to get a custom tune, the MRP might be better in stock form.

The trouble I had with my Pike was that it blew through travel no matter how many tokens or sag adjustments I tried. From all accounts so far, the Stage is much improved in that area.
    I have been very curious about going with the Avy. What I think I am going to do is use my current 140 Pike and put the money toward an Avy vs buy a new pike.

I was looking at their site and they have the completely new open bath damper for $400 or an improved Charge upgrade for $200. Anyone tried either one?

Colin, how has the Avy changed your current 36?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member

How was the stock 36 versus the Pike and MRP? I couldn't stretch to a 36 but the 34 with 36 tech for 2016 is very interesting.
    In fact 2016 is looking very tasty on the fork front in general. I have a set of Pikes sitting ready and waiting for my new build but getting serious upgraditis before I've even taken them out the box......
    MRP Stage
    X Fusion Roughcut
    DVO
    Fox 34s

All looking excellent for next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well you're obligated to since you got the DVO green links
    Well I'm keeping the Ripley and riding both until I decide which to keep. I took my first ride on my Carver 420TI and must admit I love how easy the front end was to get off the ground.

I know some of that was weight and some the cs length.

I'm still not sure my riding style fits well with the Riot but the only way to find out is try. Either way, the black Diamond will look good with the Sour Apple CK parts I have on the Ripley or the Riot.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

AOK
    mtbr member

Have you tried any of the upgraded Pike stuff (Avalanche cartridge, low friction seals, or whatever else is out there)? How is the flex on the Stage compared to a Pike? (The Pike gets dinged for stiffness against the Fox 36, so going the other direction worries me)

(Edit: i just realized that my post from yesterday actually did go through and i basically said the same thing, so sorry for the duplicate post )
    I don't detect any difference in stiffness whatsoever with the smaller stanchions on the Stage. I think you have to look at the total package here - for example the stage has a much larger arch than the pike - and not just the stanchions.

I read in one of the reviews before I purchased the Stage is that one of the reasons for the weight difference is that the Stage has a larger oil volume. So the weight difference may also be contributing to better suspension performance. Also the stage has a longer service interval than some forks due to the extra oil. If I can remember where I read this stuff I will post the review.

Never tried any upgrades to my Pike. Just played around with tuning it.

On Price - like I said earlier, you can find better pricing on a Stage if you look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    (Edit, just saw your reply AOK--that's all good to know! Thanks)

I'm curious about the Fox 36 too, it looks like the specs are right @ 140 for this frame. I haven't owned a Pike or a Stage but it seems like the complaints about Pike are that it dives under braking and it blows through travel, and the Stage fixes those, but at the expense of weight. If the Fox 36 doesn't have those problems, that would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    I have been very curious about going with the Avy. What I think I am going to do is use my current 140 Pike and put the money toward an Avy vs buy a new pike.

I was looking at their site and they have the completely new open bath damper for $400 or an improved Charge upgrade for $200. Anyone tried either one?

Colin, how has the Avy changed your current 36?
    Well I went with the open bath damper. I never had much of any issue with serious brake dive, but i did notice more wallowing on standing climbs since the Fox 36 doesn't have a "pro pedal" type lever. It didn't bother me much though since I usually don't flip levers period. I've left my shock in full open on my Evil from the get go.

What I have noticed since the Avy upgrade is that the fork stays higher in its travel on braking and on out of saddle climbing efforts, yet is Pike-like in off the top suppleness. Something the Fox never felt like prior. Overall the feel is that of a well supported damper, ready for whatever you may throw its way. Soft when it needs to be, but high in travel and ready to absorb bigger hits when it needs to. It just feels solid, it the best possible way. Very confidence inspiring, especially at 130mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Doug View Post
    How was the stock 36 versus the Pike and MRP? I couldn't stretch to a 36 but the 34 with 36 tech for 2016 is very interesting.
    In fact 2016 is looking very tasty on the fork front in general. I have a set of Pikes sitting ready and waiting for my new build but getting serious upgraditis before I've even taken them out the box......
    MRP Stage
    X Fusion Roughcut
    DVO
    Fox 34s

All looking excellent for next year.
    I don't have any time on the MRP. I loved the Pike in terms of small bump compliance and it was stiff enough for me, but I blew through travel much too easily. So that suppleness came at a price, also the performance seemed to taper off fairly quickly over a period of months. It lost some of that original suppleness, not horrible though. The Fox 36 is stiffer, I'm running the 20mm axle as well so that might have something to do with it. The Fox fixed the blowing through travel problem, but I lost the suppleness off the top. I tried multiple tuning and knob twisting and spacers to no avail so I sent it off the Avalanche. It's still early, but initial impressions are that I now have my cake and I'm eating the sh*t out of it too

mtbr member
    Thanks Colin. Avy upgrade sounds great and in a Pike it makes for a pretty cheap setup given how cheap you can pick them up for now. However they have no UK agent so with the hassle of overseas shipping, customs, finding/paying someone to fit this side of the pond then the difficulties that would then come with after sales, it's not quite so attractive. If it wasn't for the logistical thing I'd hands down go Pike/Avy but MRP sounds like it might be best of all worlds from what I hear elsewhere at the moment, though admittedly no new X Fusions or DVOs in the wild for feedback yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks Colin. Avy upgrade sounds great and in a Pike it makes for a pretty cheap setup given how cheap you can pick them up for now. However they have no UK agent so with the hassle of overseas shipping, customs, finding/paying someone to fit this side of the pond then the difficulties that would then come with after sales, it's not quite so attractive. If it wasn't for the logistical thing I'd hands down go Pike/Avy but MRP sounds like it might be best of all worlds from what I hear elsewhere at the moment, though admittedly no new X Fusions or DVOs in the wild for feedback yet.
    Have you emailed Craig? The open bath cartridge is dead easy to install yourself.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    In comparing the two it seems like the Pike is 1/4lb lighter (4.14lbs vs. 4.4 for 29")
    I'm not sure there is that much difference in weight in reality. We generally take heat for being heavier than competitors, but a lot of that just has to do with our penchant for honesty.

And besides, even at the extreme end of potential weight difference, you're still only talking about a relatively negligible amount of weight - especially for a part where performance is really the key. I've always found it interesting that riders know the supposed weights of every part of their bikes down to the gram, but generally only have a rough idea of what their frames weigh. Being an XL frame rider I'm always surprised by how chunky my frames are, in reality, on a scale, in real life vs. on a manufacturers website.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Some weight is worthwhile. My Fox 36 is heavier now due to the open bath Avy cartridge, but my service interval is now every 2 years. Not to mention the performance improvements.

mtbr member
    Have you emailed Craig? The open bath cartridge is dead easy to install yourself.
    But not so easy with the Avy shock that I'd have to get to go with it

mtbr member
    But not so easy with the Avy shock that I'd have to get to go with it
    There is a Chubby on Pink Bike right now. ..
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Some weight is worthwhile. My Fox 36 is heavier now due to the open bath Avy cartridge, but my service interval is now every 2 years. Not to mention the performance improvements.
    Is the Avy open bath easy to service or does it need to go back to Craig?

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    Photos of Riot L or XL ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Is the Avy open bath easy to service or does it need to go back to Craig?
    Super easy
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Question reflecting my ignorance: if the Avy cartridge is so awesome, why aren't manufacturers using something like it? Or is the real benefit of Avy that things get tailored to your weight and riding style?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Question reflecting my ignorance: if the Avy cartridge is so awesome, why aren't manufacturers using something like it? Or is the real benefit of Avy that things get tailored to your weight and riding style?
    Because its expensive...all the machining and there are no plastic bits in it, except for the glide ring on the pistons.
    DVO Emerald uses something a little less sophisticate than what Craig had put together...albeit is easier to open and tune/retune.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There is a Chubby on Pink Bike right now. ..
    There is a joke in that sentence right now as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    There is a joke in that sentence right now as well.
    DAMMIT, must spread rep!
    But, haven't a clue how from tapa. ..
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its cool, maybe we can ride sometime and that will be good enough for me. Girlfriend is from Denver area so who knows, road trip with the bikes may be an option...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I'm not sure there is that much difference in weight in reality. We generally take heat for being heavier than competitors, but a lot of that just has to do with our penchant for honesty.

And besides, even at the extreme end of potential weight difference, you're still only talking about a relatively negligible amount of weight - especially for a part where performance is really the key. I've always found it interesting that riders know the supposed weights of every part of their bikes down to the gram, but generally only have a rough idea of what their frames weigh. Being an XL frame rider I'm always surprised by how chunky my frames are, in reality, on a scale, in real life vs. on a manufacturers website.
    That's a good point. I searched around and it seems the "actual" weight on a 29" Pike is more like 4.29lbs, so at that point the weight difference is negligible. With the extended service life and the good reviews I guess the decision is made, then

mtbr member
    CB guys, this frame looks very good!
    What is the pedalling efficiency? You have the CCDB Air option in the package with the CS, but do you think the switch would be really necessary?

What options for pre-orders (and these nice packages) do we - folks in Europe - actually have?

mtbr member
    According to VitalMTB's review of the Balance, they never felt the climb switch was necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the Avy open-bath cartridge for my Pike. Much better damping, particularly slow speed. I don't know if I got a bad Pike or what, but I found the slow speed damping and rebound to be too fast even when cranked up all the way.

Still miss my Marz 44 RC3 on every ride, though

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

Amen to that. Accepting diminished suspension performance in exchange for 100-200g weight savings is a bad bargain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Collin did you go inline or DBAcs?
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast