Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Jedi build plans in progress. .....parts coming in..

Getting ready to build myself a REAL dh bike.... sending funds for the frame and forks next week. ....
    Build list for now:
    Jedi w/ silver links
    Spank 777chrome bars
    Spank chrome director stem
    2014 Marzocchi 888 evo fork
    Canfield DH wheels
    Raceface 34tooth chairing
    Highroller2 tires front and rear
    Saint cranks
    Crampon Ultimate pedal
    Brakes????? Not sure yet
    Sram x9 shifter/rear mech.
    Carbon Easton post/ Raceface saddle

Should be a fun build..... most of the parts are on the way!!!!!
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice!

Still working on selling my '13 but once it goes I can order the new setup. Going with red links, 380, E13 cranks, formula brakes, carbon seatpost and easton 35 carbon handlebars. Wheels I splurged and got a set of Enve DH laced to the E13 carbon shell hub, cant wait to ride this setup!

I strongly suggest Formula brakes. I have a set of RO on my jedi, and they're spectacular. Absolutely no fade, ever, longest steepest runs and still work just as well as ever. I also use the T1 on my ONE, and have a set of RX on my DJ. The RX doesnt have all the adjustments but still work great, the T1 is great with the reach adjust and pad contact adjusters, wide range of settings. I have been seeing them on Ebay frequently and PB, you could get a good used or pull-off set for 200-400 depending.

Good luck with the build and the next 6 weeks of anticipation!

mtbr member
    Don't have the cash for Envy rims... already looking at a chunk of change for the current build spec. Yours looks good ...Can't wait to see the final pic.. was going for the red links first but changed my mind when I saw the chrome bits from spank.
    The formula brakes are on my short list... running the RX on my Nimble so far I like them. We will see what deal I find out there... have a little while anyway. ...lol

Merry be-lated Christmas to myself! !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Don't have the cash for Envy rims... already looking at a chunk of change for the current build spec. Yours looks good ...Can't wait to see the final pic.. was going for the red links first but changed my mind when I saw the chrome bits from spank.
    The formula brakes are on my short list... running the RX on my Nimble so far I like them. We will see what deal I find out there... have a little while anyway. ...lol

I'm on your page...altho I'm thinking the murdered out look...black on black on black...get a set of black stanchions for my older Avyized (black) 888 WC. The chrome ones are starting to pit out by the main seals anyway. I'm finding the Marz nickel coat a bit TOO smooth so all the oil is getting wiped off and making them feel a bit jerky.

Have you thought about a set of the Light-bicycle DH rims? I think they're making some that are DH tough w/ 37mm ext width and 30mm internal width.

I've managed to put at least one dent into my EX729s per season (pulled out every one, so far), so I think I'll be wasting money going carbon.

Hey, TheRage, I went w/ the Easton 35 DM stem and the 800mm CF bar...friggin' WOW!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Thought about the LB rims. But thought better since I prefer to plow thru the rockgardens. ..figured in the long run it would be cheaper. .lol

mtbr member
    Thought about the LB rims. But thought better since I prefer to plow thru the rockgardens. ..figured in the long run it would be cheaper. .lol
    Yup.
    Those 729s have lasted me going on 3...or maybe it was 4...seasons now. A hammer, a block of wood, and a crescent wrench fixes those aluminum rims vs a c-clamps, carbon cloth, sand paper and a curing oven

You're not doing the DVO ehy?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm on your page...altho I'm thinking the murdered out look...black on black on black...get a set of black stanchions for my older Avyized (black) 888 WC. The chrome ones are starting to pit out by the main seals anyway. I'm finding the Marz nickel coat a bit TOO smooth so all the oil is getting wiped off and making them feel a bit jerky.

Have you thought about a set of the Light-bicycle DH rims? I think they're making some that are DH tough w/ 37mm ext width and 30mm internal width.

I've managed to put at least one dent into my EX729s per season (pulled out every one, so far), so I think I'll be wasting money going carbon.

Hey, TheRage, I went w/ the Easton 35 DM stem and the 800mm CF bar...friggin' WOW!
    Good to hear about the 35 setup, I have heard and read that some people think they're TOO stiff. I put that bar on my ONE but it doesn't see quite the trauma that the Jedi will.

I also have the LB rims on my ONE, they're about 6 months old and I got them right before they started offering the DH tough rim. I had them make mine as tough as they can, came in at about 430g per. I have no complaints about them in fact they are lighter and significantly stronger than the XM819's I had before. Used gorilla tape for a flawless tubeless setup, I'm just hoping I won't run into some unforeseen reaction from the gorilla tape on the carbon inside the rim. No problems so far, I would for sure recommend them as a (highly) less expensive carbon alternative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Good to hear about the 35 setup, I have heard and read that some people think they're TOO stiff.
    Yeah this...pfff! It feel really friggin' good; you'll love it!

Used gorilla tape for a flawless tubeless setup, I'm just hoping I won't run into some unforeseen reaction from the gorilla tape on the carbon inside the rim.
    Not the carbon, but if you built the wheel w/ alloy nipples, rebuild the wheel w/ brass. Even ano'd nipples will start to dissolve. An aluminium oxide outer coating...and everything made from aluminum has that, just varying thickness of it...doesn't mean electrons stop leaving into the carbon. It may slow it down a bit but from all anecdotal evidence in that 29er forum on those LB carbon rims, and the Enve corrosion thread in the wheels forum, you REALLY want to get brass in there!

Here, read the bullets just below the picture: Aluminium's corrosion resistance - Aluminium Design

So, an electrolyte (ditch water) AND in contact w/ carbon = alloy nipples become a sacrificial anode.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

The White Jeff W

Merlin has the RX for $200 & the T1s for $250 for front & rear set. They come with rotors (180f/160r), adapters and all the bolts . Just know that the T1s are OEM Specialized brakes and dont have the tool free reach adjust & feeling control adjustment. Reach is adjusted with an allen wrench.

Formula Disc Brakes | Merlin Cycles

I bought a set of Rx's on ebay that have the tool free reach adjust levers. They say RX on the master cylinder. Never seen another set of RX's with that. It seems Formula likes to mix different combos of calipers/levers.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah this...pfff! It feel really friggin' good; you'll love it!

Not the carbon, but if you built the wheel w/ alloy nipples, rebuild the wheel w/ brass. Even ano'd nipples will start to dissolve. An aluminium oxide outer coating...and everything made from aluminum has that, just varying thickness of it...doesn't mean electrons stop leaving into the carbon. It may slow it down a bit but from all anecdotal evidence in that 29er forum on those LB carbon rims, and the Enve corrosion thread in the wheels forum, you REALLY want to get brass in there!

Here, read the bullets just below the picture: Aluminium's corrosion resistance - Aluminium Design

So, an electrolyte (ditch water) AND in contact w/ carbon = alloy nipples become a sacrificial anode.
    Ya I did a lot of reading before building my LB set and for sure came across the alum nips corrosion problem. They were built with brass and are doing just fine. Thanks though!

Nice find Jeff! Ya those T1s are without the key adjustments, I personally LOVE the pad contact adjustment, if bled right they have a wide range of squishy.

I did notice they have a set of the RO's for 384, which is an amazing deal! All of the adjustments and comes with a 180 and 203 rotors and adapters, that's real nice!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here it will look like :

2014 Large Black/Black Jedi
    Black Fox 40 with Green Ti coil
    Cane Creek Double Barrel with 500Ti coil
    Shimano Saint Brakes
    Shimano Saint Shifter and Mech
    Truvativ Descendant Crank with 36T Black RaceFace Chainring
    Gold KMC SL chain
    Wheels are DT 440 Hubs with Mavic ex823 rims. Black spokes and Gold Nipples.
    Schwalbe Magic Marry Wire tires. Tubeless setup.
    Spank spike 777 Bar
    Gravity 45mm Stem
    Funn Black pedals with gold pins
    Cane Creek ZS 40 headset

My guess is around 38lbs

I also tried the Havoc 35mm in the past and went back to 31.6. There is no real gain if you are not running your bars at 800mm wide. Way to wide if you ask me.

Canfield Brothers
    It's been fun reading through your builds over the weekend!

Here's my "stealth" 2014 build:
    2014 Small Black/Black
    CCDB 350# spring, will upgrade to ti after we finalize base tunes
    BOS Idylle RaRe/Marz 380, (still undecided)
    Raceface cockpit parts
    Canfield DH Wheels
    Maxxis Minion F/HR2 3C, set up "ghetto tubeless"
    Canfield Crampon Classics/Time X ROC S, depending on track
    Sram XO/Avid XO Trails
    Cranks - For those of you that have read this far into my post, you might want to hold off on buying new cranks for your 2014 build... Something REALLY special coming soon!

Frames are on the boat, arriving at our warehouse the end of next month. We will have images and build pics next week!

Stay tuned!

mtbr member
    Dam Vin....your killing me!!!! Guess I will throw the saints I got from a buddy on for now.....:-D:-D:-D:-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post

2014 Small Black/Black
    Raceface cockpit parts
    Canfield DH Wheels
    Sram XO/Avid XO Trails
    Cranks - For those of you that have read this far into my post, you might want to hold off on buying new cranks for your 2014 build... Something REALLY special coming soon!

Frames are on the boat, arriving at our warehouse the end of next month. We will have images and build pics next week!

Stay tuned!
    Kinda tempted to go full murdered-out look too...and get some black stanchions for me Avyized '08 888 WC...

Vin, order has red links. Has the deadline to firm up colors come and gone? Can the color be changed as of now?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Canfield Brothers
    Kinda tempted to go full murdered-out look too...and get some black stanchions for me Avyized '08 888 WC...

Vin, order has red links. Has the deadline to firm up colors come and gone? Can the color be changed as of now?
    Email me tomorrow and we'll get that swapped out on your order!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Stay tuned!
    I did read that far. Now give us a reason to wait. We have to see something or at least know what to expect ? CB Cranks ?

Xetal

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2014 Small Black/Black
    Raceface cockpit parts
    Canfield DH Wheels
    Sram XO/Avid XO Trails

Stay tuned!
    Nice looking build Vin. You sticking with the black ano or doing a PC black for your stealth? Also, your little cat in the bag, when will it get out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have decided to try out the DVO Emerald on my new build. I normally like to not draw attention to myself as I don't really back up the flashy looks with my skillset, but decided to give it a try. So, I will have the green Emerald with the matching links. Wondering how well my any green Ultimate pedals will match, thinking not that well but may put them on anyways.
    Rest of my build is straight forward, Renthal bars, Avid XO/Code combo brakes, XO rear D. Will likely go with new set of Canfield wheels and I will be in the market for new crankset so news on that regard is intriguing as well

mtbr member
    May 2012
    FIRST TIME Jedi owner!
    Coming off a 2012 the One

Frame: 14' Jedi Black on Black
    Wheels: 14' Canfield DH
    Brakes: Code
    Fork: 2014 Fox Float 40
    Stem: Thompson X4
    Bars: Raceface Atlas
    Grips: ODI Rouge
    Seat: Cromag Lynx
    Shifter: X9
    Gears: 34t, 11-34
    Cranks: xxxxxxxxx!!!
    Pedals: Time Z-Strong. If you ride clipless (MUST stay in/MUST get out) the best
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Canfield Brothers
    Nice looking build Vin. You sticking with the black ano or doing a PC black for your stealth?
    This years ano black is really sick with the polished in graphics. Chris was too slammed assembling frames last week to grab me good pics, but I'm super stoked with the "Stealth" graphics on the 14's!
    2014 Jedi build plans in progress. .....parts coming in..-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This years ano black is really sick with the polished in graphics. Chris was too slammed assembling frames last week to grab me good pics, but I'm super stoked with the "Stealth" graphics on the 14's!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	865313
    Ok man that is more then awesome. One more month to wait... This is killing me.

mtbr member
    Dang Vin... that pic reminds me of being in high school as a freshman and seeing the senior girls walk down the hall with their low cut v neck shirts showing just enough to drive a hormone driven freshman crazy.... I can't wait for that day when the box shows up at my door.... Many more nights of dreaming are instore for me!!!!LOL Oh well, when the parts start trickling in, I will have something in my hands other than tools...

How long till we hear about the "cranks" so I won't have to use my beat up Saints on a NEW bike?? We all are patiently waiting..

Canfield Brothers
    Dang Vin... that pic reminds me of being in high school as a freshman and seeing the senior girls walk down the hall with their low cut v neck shirts showing just enough to drive a hormone driven freshman crazy.... I can't wait for that day when the box shows up at my door.... Many more nights of dreaming are instore for me!!!!LOL Oh well, when the parts start trickling in, I will have something in my hands other than tools...

How long till we hear about the "cranks" so I won't have to use my beat up Saints on a NEW bike?? We all are patiently waiting..
    HAHAHA!!! Your comments totally had us cracking up in the office!!!

Cranks - Here we go... The first shipment of our new AM/DH Cranks will be arriving in about a week! As soon as they land we will release all the details. (The first shipment will be limited, but the rest are on the boat with the Jedis.) I actually posted an image of these back in November and have been waiting for you guys to catch it! Check the first image in our Balance First Look post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Me from post 14 on that Balance thread: "Pics look good but eager to know geo numbers as well as weight. What cranks are those? Almost look like they are Canfield branded. Also, still planning on making it 26 or 650b capable? Not seeing replaceable dropouts on this proto so curious if that is just because it is a proto or because you are shelving the idea of cross compatibility."

I was summarily ignored in regards to the crankset

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Me from post 14 on that Balance thread: "What cranks are those? Almost look like they are Canfield branded."

I was summarily ignored in regards to the crankset
    HAHAHA! Yes, I did ignore your question as I was waiting for production to be completed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast