Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2014 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

Is the sparkle green different than the previous version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

It's arrived!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yay! hopefully that means mine's mid-Atlantic somewhere en route to Europe, on Concorde, or at the very least, the hold of the QE2.

mtbr member

Ghetto. I hope you get yours soon. The wife was not amused when I sent her a pic and told her I wanted a divorce and to marry this sexy *****!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    won't be long I hope, my wife thinks bikes are cool so I'm in the clear on that one.

pics of your build in progress please

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone know the weight of the new 2014 medium frame?

mtbr member

Xl is 6lbs 7oz without rear thru axle and sliders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    About 7lbs with sliders and axle on xl so perhaps 6.5 lbs for the medium?

Unit 91
    Here's my build so far. Green XL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cant decide between the new nimble or get another yell..Tough choice
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If it were me I'd grab the new M9, but only for something different. I'm still having a blast on my Yelli though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On the Canfield site it lists two seat tube angles on the N9 one that says actual at 70.88* the other effective at 75*, which one is the one that most people go by? I'm planning or running a rigid 470mm fork and wouldn't want a steep angle of 76.5*.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    someone was asking about frame weights, I had already asked Canfield about this in reference to a medium frame, they said: "The N9 is about 6.5 lbs and the Yelli is about 4.5 lbs. The '14 N9 will be lighter than the '13."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Here's my build so far. Green XL.
    Cool.

It also looks like you've found a very simple solution for weight and aerodynamics issues associated with a big steel bike. I'll remember this when having a beer with my weight weenie friends.

I would have marriage problems if I was building my bike by the washer and dryer, and thanks for reminding that I need to buy my wife a new frige today.

There are no Nimble 9s for me to try but I'd love one. Enjoy!

Professional Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    On the Canfield site it lists two seat tube angles on the N9 one that says actual at 70.88* the other effective at 75*, which one is the one that most people go by? I'm planning or running a rigid 470mm fork and wouldn't want a steep angle of 76.5*.
    I assume the the upper part of the seat tube is the slack 70.88 number. But it starts from further forward and a plain diamond frame. If you had a "standard" amount of post showing, you'll end up at their listed effective number. If you run a smaller frame and therefore need more post showing, the effective result would be slacker than the published 75. Conversely, if you ran a larger frame and then needed less post showing, you'd end up with a slacker effective number. If your legs are longer or shorter than the "norm" this would have a similar effect. If you're on the cusp between frame sizes, the smaller frame with more post showing is going to get you the slacker angle that you want.

Since you'll be running rigid, can I assume that you'll not use a dropper post? Then you can use a setback post to get the effective angle slacker. The fact that you'll be using a rigid fork with an A-C of only 470 means that the front end will be lower than with the 120mm fork they are basing the geo numbers on. This will make both the steering and seat tube angles steeper. I think that there are a few 490mm rigid forks on the market. The geometry should be better with the taller A-C height. I've got a 120mm X-fusion trace on the front of my Nimble 9 and have been thinking about extending it out to 140. These bikes are not afraid of a tall front end.

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Cool.

It also looks like you've found a very simple solution for weight and aerodynamics issues associated with a big steel bike. I'll remember this when having a beer with my weight weenie friends.

I would have marriage problems if I was building my bike by the washer and dryer, and thanks for reminding that I need to buy my wife a new frige today.

There are no Nimble 9s for me to try but I'd love one. Enjoy!
    Hahaha, I find that the 73mm BB gives me a firm place to rest my feet, there for not needing cranks which = instant weight savings. And I guess this is my adult version of a kids balance bike!

As far as the washer/dryer goes, this is where my basement workshop sits. Having a wife that rides as we'll doesn't hurt!
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK3 View Post
    I assume the the upper part of the seat tube is the slack 70.88 number. But it starts from further forward and a plain diamond frame. If you had a "standard" amount of post showing, you'll end up at their listed effective number. If you run a smaller frame and therefore need more post showing, the effective result would be slacker than the published 75. Conversely, if you ran a larger frame and then needed less post showing, you'd end up with a slacker effective number. If your legs are longer or shorter than the "norm" this would have a similar effect. If you're on the cusp between frame sizes, the smaller frame with more post showing is going to get you the slacker angle that you want.

Since you'll be running rigid, can I assume that you'll not use a dropper post? Then you can use a setback post to get the effective angle slacker. The fact that you'll be using a rigid fork with an A-C of only 470 means that the front end will be lower than with the 120mm fork they are basing the geo numbers on. This will make both the steering and seat tube angles steeper. I think that there are a few 490mm rigid forks on the market. The geometry should be better with the taller A-C height. I've got a 120mm X-fusion trace on the front of my Nimble 9 and have been thinking about extending it out to 140. These bikes are not afraid of a tall front end.
    I emailed Canfield and they assured me that the seat tube angle that most go by is the actual 70.88* and it's actually based on a 100mm Fox fork at 500mm length so my rigid fork would equate to roughly 72.38 seat tube angle.

Unit 91
    This might sound like a dumb question, but how are those with 2014 frames planning on running their cable housing for front and rear derailleurs?
    Bikes

Canfield Brothers
    This might sound like a dumb question, but how are those with 2014 frames planning on running their cable housing for front and rear derailleurs?
    TheProphet - We used single routers on the 2014 N9 to give the cleanest routing possible. Whether you are running your N9 as a SS, 1x or 2x, the single routers are effective by simply using the "cable bundle" method.
    2014 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-canfield-brothers-2014-nimble-9-cable-routing.jpg

Unit 91
    Awesome! Thanks for the picture!
    Bikes

Canfield Brothers
    Awesome! Thanks for the picture!
    No worries! I just updated our site as well with this information under the "Build Specs" tab.

Unit 91
    My take on the Nimble 9. Test rides around the street feel great. Easy to wheelie, pedals up to speed fast, etc. Waiting on a longer stem and eventually XT brakes. Might get a dropper, but will wait until I get some time on it. Also took off the OneUp gear. Didn't like how it felt through the gears and feeling like I won't need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Canfield Brothers Nimble 9-image.jpg  

Bikes

mtbr member

Beautiful! That a Thomson stem?

Unit 91
    Yeah, 50mm. I have a 6" travel bike on the way to replace my 5" trail bike, which has a 70mm on it right now. Will prob swap to that when it shows up.
    Bikes

mtbr member

Ahh. I was gonna say if buy it as I'm going all thomson on my N9. What big travel bike??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast