Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 The One builds

I guess I'll start this thread off. Here she is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 The One builds-img_1836.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1833.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1839.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1841.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1840.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1838.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1835.jpg  

2013 The One builds-img_1837.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good looking build!

Have you spoke to Canfields about the rear tire clearance?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    nah...why bother? it's not like anything they tell me will give the frame more clearance in the back...there is literally less than a millimeter between the tallest knob on the tire and frame...I did try to get a big bag tire to get a bit higher bb...measures in a about 13.75 inches, and that's on the short travel setting for the rear shock...should be over 14 when I switch it. and 33.5 pounds! friggin awesome. 2 pounds lighter than my SC Nomad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here is a preview of my new ONE:

2013 The One builds-p4pb9754732.jpg

Still waiting on cranks, post, and Works headset, guessing around 33-34 lbs

mtbr member
    Are they carbon rims?

I just received my 1.5d Works headset, installed it yesterday. A real quality piece of machinery and the customer service from Works Components was A++. My '11 The One now sits smack bang on 66d. Itching to ride it, though a damaged groin muscle due to building power lines/poles has slowed me down some.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes those are carbon. Came from Light Bicycle. Gonna give it a shot and see how well they work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Damn, mine is pretty pain jane after seeing Ikarus189's. All that orange ano is off the chart popping bad ass.

I've got about 40miles+ XC riding in on The One now and I think I'm in love. Trying to decide on which nick name I like better, Sir Rails Alot or Ye Olde Railer of the Berm. Ha Ha. Can't wait to check out how she flys, should happen this weekend.

Thanks goes out to Sean, he was over the top helpful on the phone.

Here she is in AM mode, all I have to do is throw on the Fox 40 and change the shock pin in the rear link to longer travel setting and she is park ready.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarus189 View Post
    I guess I'll start this thread off. Here she is!
    Meh, the pedals don't really match that well.

Just kidding, beautiful build.
    Nice job
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=roxtar;10490281]Meh, the pedals don't really match that well.

No, you're totally right. the pedals look more red than orange against everything else. But whatever...it'll all be brownish soon. Thanks for the compliment!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Are they carbon rims?

I just received my 1.5d Works headset, installed it yesterday. A real quality piece of machinery and the customer service from Works Components was A++. My '11 The One now sits smack bang on 66d. Itching to ride it, though a damaged groin muscle due to building power lines/poles has slowed me down some.....
    Hey how long did it take to get your headset from them? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and the order page still says "pending". Sent them an email last week and another this week with no reply yet...

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Yes those are carbon. Came from Light Bicycle. Gonna give it a shot and see how well they work.
    I was looking at those a few weeks ago did it take long to get those? After you sent paypal how many weeks before they showed up? Are you going to run them tubeless?

From the pictures I can not tell how well rim edge will hold tire when set up as tubeless. I was thinking Spank rims for beadNip design they have but those are 500 grams. The carbon rims say 360g's and that is a nice drop off the rims. I look forward to hearing what you have to say after a few rides on them.

Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388 View Post
    I was looking at those a few weeks ago did it take long to get those? After you sent paypal how many weeks before they showed up? Are you going to run them tubeless?

From the pictures I can not tell how well rim edge will hold tire when set up as tubeless. I was thinking Spank rims for beadNip design they have but those are 500 grams. The carbon rims say 360g's and that is a nice drop off the rims. I look forward to hearing what you have to say after a few rides on them.

Thx
    Nancy at LB was all over the emails, she made sure I got exactly what I was looking for, top notch. From the day I paid to delivery was a very surprising 12 business days.

I have been following several threads about the rims and decided to go on the heavier side, try to get the strongest possible as I do ride rough rocky terrain. They will beef them up upon request and their "DH" version is about 425g, which isn't much more than the XM819's I was running on my last ONE. Hopefully there will be a significant strength difference. Also, the rims have a bead hook for running toobless.

I will let you know how they ride when I get my headset in and the bike done.

7MGTE

thx

I have been following several threads about the rims and decided to go on the heavier side, try to get the strongest possible as I do ride rough rocky terrain. They will beef them up upon request and their "DH" version is about 425g, which isn't much more than the XM819's I was running on my last ONE. Hopefully there will be a significant strength difference. Also, the rims have a bead hook for running toobless.
    That was really helpful I appreciate the info. I want to run them on my Jedi so now that you say a DH 425g version is avl I think I need to give these a go. I hope the bead hook holds good but you might run high tire pressure so prob not an issue then.

My goal for my Jedi was 34 lbs and I missed that mark but with these rims it is on! Going purple hubs on bladed spokes for a little bling...

I will let you know how they ride when I get my headset in and the bike done.
    Your Canfield One build looks sick! I was thinking you might hit 30-32 lbs with those parts.

mtbr member
    Hey how long did it take to get your headset from them? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and the order page still says "pending". Sent them an email last week and another this week with no reply yet...
    It roughly took 3 weeks to get to BC. Though two weeks after I placed the order I hadn't had an order status, I emailed them and received an immediate response explaining that there had been a small delay and that it would be shipped the next day.

Four days after that email it arrived, with a t-shirt. I'm really pleased. I'm surprised they haven't touched base with you yet, hope it turns up soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    2013 The One builds-theone.jpg
    Pretty much done with the build, just waiting for a MRP micro guide that will fit a bit better but who can wait for stuff like that?

The Light-bicycles rim on the Canfield micro hub that I built today is what I'm mostly curious/scared of but tomorrows ride in the park will be the judge of that combo I guess.

Canfield Brothers
    I know we have had a few customers looking for a Small The One as we sold out of them even before they arrived this year. I have a friend who has a 2012 Small Silver/Red that wants to move up to a Medium. Let me know if you know anyone that is looking for a Small and I can put you in touch with him!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chamaica View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheOne.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	812123
    Pretty much done with the build, just waiting for a MRP micro guide that will fit a bit better but who can wait for stuff like that?

The Light-bicycles rim on the Canfield micro hub that I built today is what I'm mostly curious/scared of but tomorrows ride in the park will be the judge of that combo I guess.
    update on the Light-bicycles carbon rims: The rear cracked in three places but the front is still running strong. Switched to flow ex while I'm waiting for a replacement.

mtbr member
    where did you get that marsh guard...all the online stores I've found that carry them are overseas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chamaica View Post
    update on the Light-bicycles carbon rims: The rear cracked in three places but the front is still running strong. Switched to flow ex while I'm waiting for a replacement.
    Did you get the standard carbon rim or did you choose the beefier layup? Was it park riding that cracked the rim? Especially abusive type of riding or was there a situation that would have put the hurt on any rim? As much detail as you can provide would be appreciated as I have considered ordering up the burlier layup they do to try out.

mtbr member
    Nice '13s in here! I'm sure there has to be more '13 One builds out there!

Here is mine which replaced a 2011 One. The links were originally silver, but I painted them gun metal to match my 66 RC3 Evo Ti.

Coming from the 2011, i can't really notice much difference...which is a good thing. I really loved the 2011. But I love the cosmetics of the 2013 even more. Very Jedi-esq.

Currently my bike is at 35-ish lbs. Eventually i'd like to move away from the Hammerschmidt to possibly a 1x setup with maybe the Canfield 9T microdrive, or if funds allow an XX1 setup. That will probably save me at least a couple of lbs.

Thank you Vin and Sean! You guys are awesome. Hands-down the best bike i've ever had.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ikarus189: I got it from bike-discount, a german online retailer.

aenema: I got the beefed up, 429g variety. I ride Åre Bike Park pretty much every day so I guess I abuse them a bit. Rock strikes are what killed them I think.

I know three other people that got the same rims and they all cracked the rear rim. They are sending me a new model that's supposed to be stronger but I don't think it will work in the long run. But carbon sure feels nice when you ride it.

mtbr member
    chamaica, how is it dealing with warranty for the Light-bicycles carbon rims? I see they are in Asia, but you ordered them from a distributer. How long will it be to get a replacement?

Those rims look like a great alternative to the name brand carbon wheelsets. But if you and others have cracked the beefed-up versions, I am curious how reliable these will be in the long run, and how it will be to seek help from the manufacturer. I often ride rocky terrain too so am interested to hear how your experience has been. Thanks!

mtbr member
    kameraguy-sweet bike and awesome pics! I have to have someone take some glamour shots of my bike...I'm totally jelly right now. And I dropped the Race FAce Atlas crank...I could never get it tight, and the 32t cog was a little too big for me to push uphill for a long time...went with a sram XO crank and 28t bling ring, still with the 11-36 cassette. no more pedalling worries. and lighter! now down to 32.75 pounds.
    Last edited by ikarus189; 08-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Kameraguy: I ordered them direct from Asia. I have been waiting for quite a while for the replacement. Every one I've met who's been using these for park riding has thrashed them so you might want to get something else.

I'm going to be testing some other wheels so I might not ride the replacement when it shows up, at least not for some time.

mtbr member
    @ikarus thank you. I want to eventually move away from hammerschmidt to a 1x and will probably do what you did as well.

@chamaica, that's a bummer those rims look great on paper. I checked out their site and it seems people are definitely asking for the heavy duty layup. Sounds like that's what you already had though. Did they offer any solution such as to build an even stronger rim? Hope you'll have better luck with the replacement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast