Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My new 'The One'

Finished this up yesterday morning just I time to get in what was probably the last dry ride of the year.

Frame Canfield 'The One'
    Shock CCDB Air
    Fork Fox 40 Float
    Head Set Cane Creek Up-110ZS49 1-1/8 & Low-110EC49 1-1/8
    Stem Deity Locust DM
    Bar Deity Dirty 30
    Grips OURY
    F Wheel WTB Laserdisc Trail 21mm
    R Wheel WTB Frequency I25
    Cassette SRAM PG1070 9-36
    F Hub Hope Pro 20M
    R Hub Canfield 9T
    Brakes Formula Oro
    R Derailleur Sram X9 Type2 (10spd)
    Shifter Sram XO (10spd)
    F Derailleur none
    Cranks XX1 170MM 168Q
    Ring XX1 28T
    Guard MRP Micro G2
    Chain Sram 1090
    Pedals Crampon Ultimates
    Seat WTB Laser
    Seat Post Joplin
    Tires Maxxis High Rollers 2.3
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Can-diggle crash replacement

Great story on this one...

Got an angle set and Dorado for my Can-diggle to get it all prepped for my two-weeks dream vacation to Whistler. Rode it once at home in this setup, to dial in the dorado, then took it to Whistler. Rode it for a single day, then found a crack in the head tube section next morning....

Major frustration, depression, desperation, you name it. Sent a mail to Sean (this was a Saturday), followed by another with more information, followed by another to the general CB address, just in case Sean wasn't around (remember, depression and desperation). Got a reply from Vin in the late afternoon, and unfortunately they didn't have any Diggle front triangles left anymore, but I'd qualify for a 2013 The One crash replacement. After another email in the (Saturday!) evening, agreed to meet up with him in Whistler the next day where he was already planning on going.

Met up with him, went for a lap together, such a great guy. To cut the remainder of the story short: rented a car on Monday, drove over to Bellingham, got the replacement frame, swapped all parts over (only needed a new seat post), and was riding my new The One on Tuesday. Definitely an upgrade from the Diggle, rides very smooth and with lots of reserve for my regular screw-ups.

Thanks again to all the guys at CB, especially Vin and Sean, for saving my Whistler trip and curing my depression! You were absolutely great and won another customer for life.

Now, on to the only problem I'm having with The One... It does pedal as great as everyone keeps saying, most apparent to me when switching with a buddy's rental Aurum. Rode nice enough, but man it bounced when pedaling! Once I got back home, I put Lyrik, air shock, and some lighter tires on it, and took it trail riding in the Swiss Alps. Loved it, so much more fun on the downs than my NomadC, and I'm pretty sure it's not just the extra suspension, but more the longer/lower/slacker geometry. So here's the problem: I can't decide on how to use the frame! I love it both in its park/DH build, and in its trail build, and I don't want to keep swapping forks, shocks, and tires al the time (don't even have the time if I wanted to).

I guess I'll just wait for CB's disclosure this month, see if they come with a nice (lighter weight) trail bike

Here's some pictures and a build description.

2013 The One builds-bike_800_27860.jpg

2013 The One builds-bike_800_27861.jpg

2013 The One builds-bike_800_27863.jpg

park build:
    - manitou dorado pro, answer stem
    - ccdb titan
    - schwalbe muddy mary (F)
    - intense dh fro lite (R)
    - 16.7 kg

trail build:
    - rockshox lyrik two-step 170, hope stem
    - ccdb air
    - schwalbe big betty (F)
    - schwalbe fat albert (R)
    - 15 kg

- works components
    - hope pro 2 / ztr flow
    - fsa afterburner 32t
    - straitline silent guide
    - sixpack icon pedals
    - x.9 trigger
    - x.9 derailleur
    - saint brakes 200
    - sixpack driver 805
    - odi ruffia
    - thompson elite
    - sixpack clamp
    - selle italia flite

mtbr member
    That's a sweet setup! They do have the most incredible customer service I've ever seen. In any company, any market, etc. The absolute best. I'm also a customer for life.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    What dictates the gap size between the two connections at the seat tube and top tube? Frame size? (Makes a bigger triangle shape on LEE's bike, whereas the Canfield site just shows a small gap)

The top tube graphic is in a different spot as well, although I'm *assuming* both of these examples are '13 frames, I may be mistaken.

In DrLEE's photos, there is a wide gap, whereas in other photos, such as the Canfield site, it's a completely different look.

Canfield site:

DrLEE:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That gap is dictated by frame size. The larger frames with their longer seat tubes have more support as they have more leverage on them.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    That gap is dictated by frame size. The larger frames with their longer seat tubes have more support as they have more leverage on them.
    Yup and for 2013 we moved The One logo to the center of the TT.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the replies.

Anybody care to share what size frame they're rolling on, along with their height?

5'10" myself, 32" inseam, fairly longer than average reach...trying to figure out whether or not to go with a M or L. Every other bike I've had thus far has been a large (mainly Santa Cruz and Trek frames) but I'm planning to build a One geared toward more downhill/freeride type stuff.
    Last edited by Yama Arashi; 10-18-2013 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    6'1", large, wouldn't want it any bigger but I also think a med would be too small for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    6'2" also on a large. I do think that if you are 5'10" you may way to look at mediums as the seat tube is about as long as I would want it to be on the large with my 34 in inseam. There are times where dropping my saddle a little more would be welcome but not necessary to ride safely and quickly. An inch shorter seat tube, in my opinion, would be a good thing on next production cycle.

mtbr member
    aenema, what length seat post are you using? I believe I read elsewhere that the post can only be inserted into the tube around 6"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a KS 150mm dropper post (non LEV version) and have maybe 3 or so inches up when doing pedal'y rides. Drop it all the way when doing gravity stuff.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama Arashi View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

Anybody care to share what size frame they're rolling on, along with their height?

5'10" myself, 32" inseam, fairly longer than average reach...trying to figure out whether or not to go with a M or L. Every other bike I've had thus far has been a large (mainly Santa Cruz and Trek frames) but I'm planning to build a One geared toward more downhill/freeride type stuff.
    While sizing is certainly personal preference, I would recomend a medium.

mtbr member

'murica!

Last edited by Yama Arashi; 12-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice The One build! Any idea of the weight?

Dunno about the weapons. Curious though, do you carry them on your pack or zip tied to the underside of the top tube???
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Still getting stuff dialed in and making some tweaks; as pictured it sits at 37, but weight wasn't a consideration during the build. I may even put a dropper on it.

And in a pack, but it drags on the rear tire.
    Firearms are mainly a " 'merica " joke at the behest of a friend, but no apologies on my part!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama Arashi View Post
    How do you like the feel of the Dorado fork on The One? I'm going to ditch the Totem I have on mine and put a dual crown on. The Dorado is one at the top of my list but it has a pretty high a2c and more offset than most. I was concerened how that may change handling of the low slung bike. Also what headset configuration do you have?

mtbr member
    Can somebody share their CCDB air settings on the one with their current weight?
    Shut up and Ride..

Pimp yo mama 24/7

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm ~190 lb. geared, run in 8" travel mode, 23mm sag, small frame, climb to get to downs, don't huck much. Bike is around 33ish lb. 170mm Lyrik coil on front.

HSC-1 turn in from open (playing with, one turn just bottoms on rough stuff and drops)
    LSC-14 clicks in (tried going less clicks but affects climbing "bob" if run much less)
    HSR-2 turns in (playing with this still too, opening it up some, hasn't bucked me off, yet)
    LSR-16 clicks in (like LSC, if I back this off much it starts affecting pedal bob a bit)

An older thread here (maybe before CC came out with their base tune)
    Double Barrel Air and the 2011-2012 ONE

CC Base Tune:
    The Lounge | Rider Forums | New Tune Tuesday: 2013 Canfield Brothers The One

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    for a trail build would you choose a Marzocchi 350 Ti or an X-Fusion Metric? both with a 650b front wheel.

coil, 160mm, 15mm TA
    VS
    air, 160-180mm, 20mm TA

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    for a trail build would you choose a Marzocchi 350 Ti or an X-Fusion Metric? both with a 650b front wheel.

coil, 160mm, 15mm TA
    VS
    air, 160-180mm, 20mm TA
    Metric for sure, in 180mm setting. It has a 565mm A2C which the ONE is built around. I'm not sure what the 350 has for a A2C, not listed on the site, but I'm assuming it's around the other 160 travel 650b forks at like 545 or thereabouts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Metric for sure, in 180mm setting. It has a 565mm A2C which the ONE is built around. I'm not sure what the 350 has for a A2C, not listed on the site, but I'm assuming it's around the other 160 travel 650b forks at like 545 or thereabouts.
    Hi TheRage43, thanks...
    I'm assuming the 350 to be in the 550-555mm range like all the 650b 160mm fork, and the bigger wheel would rise the axle by abut 15mm, so I would get the correct front height and angle with the 160mm fork, while the 180 would mess the geometry a bit, being 2cm taller... isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Hi TheRage43, thanks...
    I'm assuming the 350 to be in the 550-555mm range like all the 650b 160mm fork, and the bigger wheel would rise the axle by abut 15mm, so I would get the correct front height and angle with the 160mm fork, while the 180 would mess the geometry a bit, being 2cm taller... isn't it?
    If the 350 is 550mm A2C, similar to it's competitors, it's already measured with a 650b wheel, so there would be no rise like you're assuming. The metric, in 180 travel with 26" wheels, is 565mm which is exactly what the ONE is built around. If you put a 650b wheel on it only raises the axle 5mm, which is acceptable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 6'3", w/ a 32" inseam, what size frame should I be looking for?
    Man, I wish they still made this bike!!!
    I have been looking for one since last year. I am layed up with a broken leg at the moment and I want to get one to come back to in a couple months when I am healed up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2