Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    AST ive too found that i had to adjust for heel strikes. main shoe is 5.10 macaskill, but i do ride street in vans and dc's & still get the strikes. kinda sucks cuz when i adjust, that just means a wider stance and a loss of a couple pins worth of grip on my f20's. i had to compensate w/ 2mm longer pins on toe side & heel side & leave stock pins (10mm) on the spindle. what post are you running & do you like it? LOL wifey squattin' a stump

ast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    AST ive too found that i had to adjust for heel strikes. main shoe is 5.10 macaskill, but i do ride street in vans and dc's & still get the strikes. kinda sucks cuz when i adjust, that just means a wider stance and a loss of a couple pins worth of grip on my f20's. i had to compensate w/ 2mm longer pins on toe side & heel side & leave stock pins (10mm) on the spindle. what post are you running & do you like it? LOL wifey squattin' a stump
    Yeah it was a bit annoying getting heel strike but it didn't seem to happen as much by the end of the ride. The bike is so much fun to ride so I think I can put up with a small annoyance.
    Seat post? I'm using a reverb. It's pretty good. The mounting head is not as good as the Thomson seat posts that I'm used to but you can't beat a dropper post. I'll never go back to a normal seatpost. My next seatpost will probably be a KS Lev, because the cable doesn't move. I've tried one out and it's very nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Met a fellow mtbr member on a group ride tonight, and he reminded me that my frame glows in the dark. He kept shining his light on my bike, and I was like wth, but then we all turned off the lights. Awwwwwww....ohhhhhh!!

mtbr member

It's done!

First off the ride was incredible. I did stuff on this bike that I have never even attempted on my 26". The bike is confidence inspiring.

Spec:
    N9 Gen2
    Manitou Tower Pro 140mm
    Shimano SLX group
    Hope Pro2/evo hubs laced to Stan's Flow EX rims
    Bontrager 29 XR3 Team issue
    Thomson post
    Bontrager 60mm stem
    Bontrager 720 Race X Lite Carbon riser bar
    Phenom saddle
    Time ATAC pedals
    2013 Nimble 9 Build Thread!-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Could you take a pic that shows the grip height in relation to the seat?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here you go. it is just about level. My xc bike had a ton of drop from saddle to bar.

2013 Nimble 9 Build Thread!-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Damn that's sexy. I'll order my XL PNW Green next week. I'm soooo stoked by your build. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Pictures definitely do not do the frame color justice. It is a pretty sweet color. Best description I can come up with is the old muscle car forest green.

That said after riding this bike I can say I would ride it even if it were baby poop brown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My first bike build. Lots of fun. Super "nimble" compared to my superfly 100

Frame: Nimble 9 Med
    Fork: White Brothers Loop, set at 120mm
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Crank: Truvativ Stylo 1.1
    Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beaters
    Bottom Bracket: Truvative Stylo 1.1 GXP
    Shifter: Shimano Saint
    Cassette: 11-36 Shimano XT
    Chain: KMC
    Brakes: Shimano XT
    Rotors: Ice Tech 160mm, 180mm
    Seatpost: Thomson Dropper
    Seat: WTB Rocket V
    Seatpost Clamp: Canfield
    Stem: Easton Haven
    Grips: ODI lock ons
    Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon
    Wheels: Stan Flow ex laced to Hadleys
    Tires: 2.35 Nobby Nic and 2.4 Maxxis Ardent

2013 Nimble 9 Build Thread!-photo-3-.jpg

mtbr member
    For those that setup their N9 with a FD did you dremel off the arm on the FD that is for a bottom pull setup? It is really close to the tire and would give more clearance if I did this.

Also any close up pics of this area would be helpful. thanks,

mtbr member

The Green Machine

Frame: Nimble 9 Medium Green
    Fork: Fox 34 Talas 140mm-110mm, tapered, 15mm thur axle
    Headset: CaneCreek 40 Series
    Crank: Shimano XT
    Pedals: Shimano DX
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano
    Chainring: Salsa 34T
    Chainguide: MRP Lopes
    Cassette: Sram 990 12-32T
    Chain: Sram
    Brakes: Elixr Carbon, 185mm rotors
    Seatpost: KS e-ten
    Seat: Lynskey Sport
    Seatpost Clamp: Canfield
    Stem: Thomson 70mm X4
    Handlebar: ODI Flight control
    Wheels: Canfield 29"
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.4" front, 2.25" rear
    Rear D & shift: Sram X-9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Nimble 9 Build Thread!-g2-n9.jpg  

"too weird to live, too rare to die"

StoneCutter
    Anyone running 2x10, if so what chainrings give you the necessary clearance?

mtbr member
    I am running 2x10. I have a 26/38 with one spacer on the bb drive side.

StoneCutter
    Is that a 1st gen N9 or 2nd gen N9? Almost sounds like a 1x10 or 1x11 would be easier.

mtbr member
    Sorry, that was a G2 N9. Not really complicated just used a single 2mm spacer that was included with the crank.

StoneCutter
    Looking for some sizing help for a G2 N9. I am 5'11.5" tall, inseam 32.5". I am currently riding a Medium Bandersnatch with a 80mm stem. Fits well. Also ride a Large Turner 5 Spot with a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am your height with an inch or two longer inseam and riding a large frame with a setback seat post (plenty of it showing) and a 65 mm stem comfortably. I might go a little shorter on the stem, but it's tough because I have a short torso and pretty long arms. My vote for you is large.

mtbr member
    I would ask Sean at Canfield. That said, I am 6'1" and w/ a 33" inseam and I am riding a large with a 60mm stem and it fits great.

i guess it depends on your riding style. sean will probably tell ya to go w/ a L. i'm 6'2" with 34" inseam & ride a lg xc frame, but this frame i ride xl. reason being, 30" bars and a 50mm stem. holy hell i just put a 10mm dt swiss thru axle on the rear and def a noticeable improvement. now just waiting to get my hope floating rotors from crc. had to go with a fatty 203 up front cause my shitty xo brakes need to stop me. i only have front as my rear is leaking like a stuck pig where the 2 halves of the caliper mate up. oh how i hate avid, gunna replace em with some m4's when i get the funds

StoneCutter
    Looking for more XC type riding due to the terrain here in central GA. T/W Sean, he said to go with a Large and a 70mm stem. I've looked at other non-custom steel frames and the G2 N9 geo just sells the frame. Fun, easier to maneuver and get over obstacles, I'd start with a 100mm fork and go from there. The N9 isn't a "light" frame compared to other steel frames unless you go custom. My thoughts are that if the bike moves under you, you really won't notice the weight difference unless you have to man handle the bike to get around the terrain. I want something that allows me to flow and the rear end will follow you around turns, rather than waiting for the rear wheel to catch up to you. I welcome any comments.

mtbr member
    You pretty much just described the G2 N9. Mine built up at 29lbs which is a bit heavy but I have 140mm fork and I went with Flow EX rims so I could have saved some weight but I went with durability. That said the only time I notice the weight is when I am putting it on my car.

StoneCutter
    Thanks for the feedback. Planning on building mine with Pacenti TL28's, Hope Pro2 Evo's, 2.2 tires, Fox CTD Trail adjust 100mm, thomsom bits, XT brakes and X9 drivetrain. Anxious to get started, but it won't be complete until after the first of the year due to travel. G2 N9 looks like the way to go. Keep the comments coming and thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orl1exm View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Planning on building mine with Pacenti TL28's, Hope Pro2 Evo's, 2.2 tires, Fox CTD Trail adjust 100mm, thomsom bits, XT brakes and X9 drivetrain. Anxious to get started, but it won't be complete until after the first of the year due to travel. G2 N9 looks like the way to go. Keep the comments coming and thanks.
    I wouldn't run anything less than a 120mm fork if I were you. The bit of extra travel and and the bit slacker head angle it gives you are nice to have when things start to point downhill. I run a 130mm on mine and don't feel like the climbing abilities or handling on tight twisty are hindered in any way. If I were rebuilding my N9 geared, it would be either 1x10 or 1x11, throw a wide-narrow 32T or 34T ringon it depending on how much climbing you have and call it a day.
    Last edited by Dr Wankel; 11-21-2013 at 06:53 PM.

sean even says a 140 is pretty killer on it too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ride mine SS with a 150mm Pike on it and it's PERFECT. It doesn't wander in climbs, it handles beautifully on flats and it's brilliant going down hill.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast