Chain: Shimano XTR
    Stem: Crank Bros Iodine 2, 65mm
    Bars: Crank Bros Cobalt 2, 720mm
    Seatpost: Fizik Cyrano
    Saddle: WTB PureV
    Grips: Ergon GS-1
    Tires: Bontrager 29-3
    Pedals: Shimano M520

The saddle, grips and drivetrain minus the chainring will be ripped directly off my old bike, and pretty much everything else is cheap/used ebay finds and lucky sales.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds like a great all around setup. I'm going to switch my front fork to a voodoo 500 to mimic the geometry of a longer travel fork. I'm also going to move my racing Ralph to the rear and probably run a wtb wierwolf 2.55 front.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, I expect to fiddle with tires for a while. I've been running 2.1 Exiwolfs on my 26er (which are huge for 2.1s - more like a 2.25 or 2.3 I think), but they're a bit squirrely in the sandy patches for my taste. The Bontys were cheap ($50 for the pair) and I've heard that they're good all-around tires, so they got the nod as the starting tire, but wider rubber up front is probably in the future, along with a 10 speed upgrade.

I'm most nervous about the wheels - from what I've read, DT Swiss can really be hit or miss, so I'm really hoping I got a good set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Off topic, but relating to your comments. I had (still have but not using) a pair of xm490 rims. They're stiff and the quality is great. The overall ride was fine. They also set up easy tubeless. Where I was not impressed was the weight and width. A flow is lighter, cheaper, and wider. I know nothing about dt hubs.

I assume your wheels are not the new "spline" version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by syntheticreality View Post
    I assume your wheels are not the new "spline" version?
    They are. Is that a bad thing? I got them for less than half the price of Stans though, if price is the biggest complaint about them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No I think it's probably good if they are. I just assumed if it was a budget build they weren't. I just can't find any published rim width info or anything. My xm490 rims are only like 19mm internal. What width are your tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tires are 2.3"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's wider than they are rated for, I believe. You might be okay though. You might have to run tubes or sorta high pressure tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm going to start out running them tubed for sure. Haven't dealt with tubeless before and I don't want to introduce too many new things that can go wrong at the same time. I'm reasonably light (150 lbs geared up), so I don't think it'll be an issue. I've run my current bike as low as mid 20s tubed with no flats or lost tires.

Edit: just looked it up, and the x1900s are rated for 2.25, so 2.3 might be a tiny bit sketchy. Worst comes to worst, I'll get some narrower tires.

Edit 2: rim width is 24mm, according to the DT rep on the video I just watched. Didn't say if that was internal or external.

mtbr member
    I am almost done building my N9 Gen2. Specs are as follows;

Large G2 N9 frame, PNW green
    full SLX build
    Manitou Tower Pro 29" 140mm
    Thomson Elite Post
    Hope Pro2/Evo hubs laced to Stan's Flow EX rims.
    Bontrager Rhythm Pro Carbon bar in 750mm
    and a 60mm stem.

I have not picked Tires yet. I hope to have it completed by mid next month or when the rest of my parts get here. I will post pics when it is complete.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2013 Nimble 9 Build Thread!

Updated with Fox F34 140mm. This thing rocks. So stupid to have a 140mm single speed, but so much fun!!!!!

Tonight the orange wheels are being swapped for blue I9 single speed enduros laced to ArchEX hoops.

And possibly another N9 geared in my future. Funnest bike I have ever owned.

meh?

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Updated with Fox F34 140mm. This thing rocks. So stupid to have a 140mm single speed, but so much fun!!!!!

Tonight the orange wheels are being swapped for blue I9 single speed enduros laced to ArchEX hoops.

And possibly another N9 geared in my future. Funnest bike I have ever owned.
    That looks really good. What size? Weight?
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Thanks! Medium. Probably 28 lbs in this pic will shed a pound or more with the new wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Went home for a busy lunch break. Tubeless Ardents on the blue I9s. Test ride after work.

I may have lost a pound. Don't really care though since its so much fun. Lol

meh?

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Went home for a busy lunch break. Tubeless Ardents on the blue I9s. Test ride after work.

I may have lost a pound. Don't really care though since its so much fun. Lol

Really like this bike. I was thinking of something similar and you basically just ran a proof of concept for me!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Really like this bike. I was thinking of something similar and you basically just ran a proof of concept for me!
    Thanks! I really enjoy it. Funnest bike I have ever owned. I would have to say though, I think 120mm is perfect for a single speed version of this bike, and 140mm would be perfect with gears. With the added weight and slacker HTA the 140mm gives, it would be a little better to at least be able to climb some of the time in the saddle.

Once I build the Yelli, it'll be geared with this fork, and I'll be looking for a 120mm for this bike.

It is pretty darn sexy this way though, gonna be hard to take that fork off.

I'll also add that I noticed a huge difference in climbing last night now that I have the Ardents on, and the huge amount of POE on the I9 wheels is something I had never experienced before that made a HUGE difference. Especially in the technical, rocky terrain. If you're trails are similar to mine (rocky, some loose over hard, some hardpack, etc... ) this tire really shines.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How's the front end with a 120 fork going up steep stuff? Does the front wheel easily wonder/lift up or can you keep it reasonably planted with out sliding super far forward?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Finally finished!

Full Specs:
    Frame: Nimble 9, Red, M
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Fork: Manitou Tower Pro 120mm, 15mm thru axle
    Wheels: DT Swiss Spline X1900
    Brakes: Formula RX
    Crankset: Deore LX
    Chainring: Race Face Narrow Wide 32T
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
    Shifter: SRAM X7
    Cassette: SRAM PG 970
    Chain: KMC 10.93
    Stem: Crank Bros Iodine 2, 65mm
    Bars: Crank Bros Cobalt 2, 720mm
    Seatpost: Fizik Cyrano
    Saddle: WTB PureV
    Grips: Ergon GS-1
    Tires: Bontrager 29-3
    Pedals: Shimano M520

mtbr member
    Sharp looking build! I cannot wait to finish up mine, still waiting on bars/stem/tires.

mtbr member
    Lookin good! The candy apple red looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quick question for all you N9 second gen riders. I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall with monkey arms, long legs, and short-ish torso. What's everyones opinion of Frame size? Am I firmly in the Large frame or possibly a medium? My current 29er full-squish ride is a Yeti SB95c Large and I love the size on that frame. I'll be building the N9 as a single speed and a dedicated training and fun bike for shorter, after work rides.....not strong enough to pedal one gear around Colorado high country trails.

mtbr member
    I'd go with a large, I'm 5'10" and the medium is pretty much spot on for me with a straight post, a 65mm stem and long bars. I think you'll limit your setup options by going with a medium at your height. The Nimble 9 is fantastic as a SS though, don't sell it short by relegating it to training and short ride duty. I've ridden mine all over CO including the high country, I've been on my 5" bike less than a handful of times in the last few months since getting the bike built up and I don't miss it, the Nimble 9 is way too much fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im 5'11"-6'0" with a 34" inseam. My arms are also pretty long. I ride a large with a short stem and set back post and I think it's just right. I'd recommend wrenchscience for helping you fit. Have someone go through the measurements on the website with you. Pick the smallest frame you can that will allow you to run a 50-60mm stem and still get the correct overall reach. With your long legs and arms, I suspect your build will come out similar to mine. Again, large frame, set back post jacked up high, sorry stem, wide (riser) bars, and long fork will probably get you exactly where you want. If you're near upstate ny, send me a pm and you can come demo mine.

Edit: just noticed you are in CO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like a Large is the ticket. Can you post pics of your builds? Just curious to see everyone's SS setups......

Thanks!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast