perpetual pucker factor

2012 the One chainline/bottom bracket questions

Just got my One today (it's phenomenal looking, btw, thanks Sean and crew!). I'm working on installing a SRAM X9 crank, and I have run into a few things I'm not sure of.

The owner's manual states that the BB is set up for 73mm. I've measured the bb shell with some calipers, and it's width is 68mm. That means use the two included bb cup spacer rings, right? No problems so far.

Now the confusing part: Sram's cank/bb installation guide states that if I'm installing a gxp crank for 73mm, I should not use either of the two aluminum spacers between the external cups and the bb shell. That seems to directly contradict what the Canfield owner's manual says. I tried installing the crank without the spacers, and the spindle's bearing surfaces (the polished sections of the crank spindle) are not fully inserting inside the bearings. I didn't crank anything down tight as it seems wrong and puts the direct mount chainring very far outboard. Thoughts?
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Just got my One today (it's phenomenal looking, btw, thanks Sean and crew!). I'm working on installing a SRAM X9 crank, and I have run into a few things I'm not sure of.

The owner's manual states that the BB is set up for 73mm. I've measured the bb shell with some calipers, and it's width is 68mm. That means use the two included bb cup spacer rings, right? No problems so far.

Now the confusing part: Sram's cank/bb installation guide states that if I'm installing a gxp crank for 73mm, I should not use either of the two aluminum spacers between the external cups and the bb shell. That seems to directly contradict what the Canfield owner's manual says. I tried installing the crank without the spacers, and the spindle's bearing surfaces (the polished sections of the crank spindle) are not fully inserting inside the bearings. I didn't crank anything down tight as it seems wrong and puts the direct mount chainring very far outboard. Thoughts?
    Just checked my '11- used X9 as well. Put single spacer on the drive side and 2 on the non-drive side. No issues with chain alignment and crank spacing on the stays. I also have full engagement on the spindle splines.
    Hope that helps... Enjoy your "ONE" Just don't be afraid when you get the feeling that selling all your other bikes is right.... comes along.
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

perpetual pucker factor
    It definitely helped, thank you. My crank came with only two spacers but they were thicker than any others I had used before. One on the drive and one on the other seems to be about perfect. The only concern now is that I had to use all 3 iscg spacers on my guide. Might have issues with the chainline now?

And not to worry about selling the other bikes. I already did that to be able to get the One.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue. I put a 2nd spacer on the non drive side (left) in order to get a good chainline. In doing this I still used the thickest set of spacers on my micro guide. Everything lines up perfectly now.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

dft
    mtbr member
    lots of different spacer orientations going on.
    i just installed an slx crank (with singlering ring, the middle ring mounted on the inside of the crank) and used 2 spacers on the drive side, none on the non-drive side. i used one spacer for the mrp guide and the guide is in correct alignment with the chain.i hope the overall chainline is good

mtbr member

2012 the One chainline/bottom bracket questions

I forgot to mention Im running a bling ring.

Also a GXP has different spacer requirements than Shimanos Hollowtech system. GXPs NDS bearing is loaded and the DS has space between the cup and crank arm. Hollowtech on the other hand requires both crank arms fit up against the cups.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check