Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2012 One!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    So, who in the Seattle area has a Canfield One they'd be willing to let me test ride, to get a feel for the sizing and suspension action? I'd be eternally indebted to you! I think Sean's got a medium up in Bellingham, but anyone with a medium or large, pleeeease let me know.
    I'd be happy to let you ride mine once it's done. Waiting on one part that I should have by the end of next week. I'm in Seattle. Last I checked Sean doesn't have a One right now.

Also, I'd recommend contacting them directly and seeing if you can go up to the Ham and pick it up when you buy it. It's a fun experience!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I'm in Vancouver with a large 2011. 50mm stem, 160 fork and an Avy air shock. Your more than welcome to have a rip on it if your up this way.
    Vancouver, BC, or Vancouver, WA?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I'd be happy to let you ride mine once it's done. Waiting on one part that I should have by the end of next week. I'm in Seattle. Last I checked Sean doesn't have a One right now.

Also, if I were you I'd recommend contacting them directly and seeing if you can go up to the Ham and pick it up when you buy it.
    I was thinking about that (striking it up to Bellingham to grab the frame).

What size you building up?

mtbr member
    Was the head tube angle on the 2012 version ever confirmed as 65*? Sean told me the steepest you could get it without an angle set was about 65.5*, which would indicate a 64* head tube angle in the charts.
    Just looking at the geo charts now. For the 2012 One the HTA is 65*. That is for any fork with a axle to crown of 565mm. (fox 40, marz 66, boxxer) So with an angle set you would get 66.5 max.

FYI,

160mm fork AC 545mm = 66 hta
    170mm fork AC 555mm = 65.5 hta
    180mm & some 200mm forks 565mm = 65 hta

For a 20mm change to the fork length there would be a one degree change with the HTA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was thinking about that (striking it up to Bellingham to grab the frame).

What size you building up?
    It's a medium black/blue. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01141647_n.jpg

Do you have a bike now? We could go to Duthie on Saturday and you could try my Jedi.

mtbr member
    Thanks bigcrs! I actually knew all of that (except for confirmation on the head tube angle), but thank you for being willing to help a brotha out!

Wonder why Sean told me the slackest you could get it with 1.5* angleset is 65.5. Was planning on asking him today. Either way, looks like you can definitely get into the 66* area, which is plenty steep enough for AM riding.

mtbr member
    It's a medium black/blue. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01141647_n.jpg

Do you have a bike now? We could go to Duthie on Saturday and you could try my Jedi.
    That frame is looking reeeeal right man! Congrats! I would love to go to Duthie, but I just caught a dang cold. If I shake it by Saturday, I will definitely meet you up there! It's nothing too bad, but I don't wanna pass it on.

I only have a hardtail (Scott Scale), but I could hit some of the easier stuff, and/or we could do a few loops of Bootcamp, which is about all I've ever done up at Duthie (was there for this past summer's Demo Day). In other words, I'm a puuuure noob, haha. Extremely ready to try just about everything though.

I'll inbox you my info, and we'll get together this Saturay, or sometime the following week at the latest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That frame is looking reeeeal right man! Congrats! I would love to go to Duthie, but I just caught a dang cold. If I shake it by Saturday, I will definitely meet you up there! It's nothing too bad, but I don't wanna pass it on.

I only have a hardtail (Scott Scale), but I could hit some of the easier stuff, and/or we could do a few loops of Bootcamp, which is about all I've ever done up at Duthie (was there for this past summer's Demo Day). In other words, I'm a puuuure noob, haha. Extremely ready to try just about everything though.

I'll inbox you my info, and we'll get together this Saturay, or sometime the following week at the latest.
    I've already got the cold and I'll be riding this weekend regardless

mtbr member
    Thanks bigcrs! I actually knew all of that (except for confirmation on the head tube angle), but thank you for being willing to help a brotha out!

Wonder why Sean told me the slackest you could get it with 1.5* angleset is 65.5. Was planning on asking him today. Either way, looks like you can definitely get into the 66* area, which is plenty steep enough for AM riding.
    No worries! It's good to hear that there are more One's in the PNW! We should all catch up for a ride and brew!

I have mine '11 setup with a 160mm and zero stack. I believe its around the 65.5 mark. And for the AM riding I do it's killer. Very aggressive, perfect for the mountains around Vancouver.

Sean probably has a thousand different numbers running around in his head at any given second, an easy mistake.

mtbr member
    I've already got the cold and I'll be riding this weekend regardless
    HAHA!! Well, there it is! Let's do it! What time you thinking?

mtbr member
    No worries! It's good to hear that there are more One's in the PNW! We should all catch up for a ride and brew!

I have mine '11 setup with a 160mm and zero stack. I believe its around the 65.5 mark. And for the AM riding I do it's killer. Very aggressive, perfect for the mountains around Vancouver.

Sean probably has a thousand different numbers running around in his head at any given second, an easy mistake.
    Indeed bro! Sounds like we already have a small tribe adding up. I'll most certainly be the weakest link, but I'm all for it!

You make a good point: He's was likely thinking 2011, and/or thinking, "It really doesn't matter man....once he gets one, he'll ride it at 63.5* ANYWHERE!" Ha!

You in WA, or BC? They're actually about equidistant from where I presently sit typing, but just wondering. Definitely not too far to come try the large! Beats guessing, any day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    HAHA!! Well, there it is! Let's do it! What time you thinking?
    Not sure yet... late morning probably. Also weather dependent.

mtbr member
    Not sure yet... late morning probably. Also weather dependent.
    Yep, yep. We'll get it figured out.

mtbr member
    So can you run these Works Components anglesets in plus or minus direction (slackened hta or steepened hta)? I read somewhere that they aren't adjustable, and didn't get what that meant, but was hoping the guy meant you cannot adjust in half-degree increments, which would not bother me at all. I'd be at roughly 66* with an external bottom cup and 1.5* angleset, which is the goal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So can you run these Works Components anglesets in plus or minus direction (slackened hta or steepened hta)? I read somewhere that they aren't adjustable, and didn't get what that meant, but was hoping the guy meant you cannot adjust in half-degree increments, which would not bother me at all. I'd be at roughly 66* with an external bottom cup and 1.5* angleset, which is the goal.
    You can run Works backwards. They just don't adjust the angle like a cane creek.

mtbr member
    Got you. Just gotta remove fork and turn it around?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Got you. Just gotta remove fork and turn it around?
    More like you re-install the headset cups backwards. It's kind of a process.

mtbr member
    More like you re-install the headset cups backwards. It's kind of a process.
    Oh yeah, that's what I envisioned...I just kind of typed it out in a way that made it seem like it was a cakewalk, haha! My bad. Based on reviews and pricing, that seems like the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Its time to buy a better headset

Just got a 40% off flyer from Bike Stop and expected the usual ****** on big discount but dayum...how about the VP Varial in 'our' size(ZS49-ZS49/30) for.......big drum roll.........
    $149.85
    I am SO all over that...CC 3 settings Angleset for sale, hehe

Did I mention free Fedex shipping, break out you big stick, its gonna be hard to be this one
    No longer impressed with Works Components prices...sorry UK, my bucks stay here
    Last edited by crossup; 10-19-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Just got a 40% off flyer from Bike Stop and expected the usual ****** on big discount but dayum...how about the VP Varial in 'our' size(ZS49-ZS49/30) for.......big drum roll.........
    $149.85
    I am SO all over that...CC 3 settings Angleset for sale, hehe
    Killer find! Only 186g's, very interesting indeed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmmmm...thats the only thing I DON'T like...the CC is 132g nearly 2 oz less...sure thats nothing but my bike is light because I count the grams- comes from flying hiperf RC model planes
    But you can be sure I can live with the weight penalty, which will even be higher if my current riding tool kit doesn't include the proper allen wrenchs to trail adjust the Varial.

And when you guys find CC's for less just remember I bought the .05/1.0/1.5 Angleset..still around $200 and not convenient to adjust at all....mines been good to me(noise free) but there's a reason they call'em CANE CREAK(pun intented)

Guess I forgot not every one is running a dual crown..so sorry to anyone who got excited but has a tapered steerer

Killer find! Only 186g's, very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by crossup; 10-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Hmmmm...thats the only thing I DON'T like...the CC is 132g nearly 2 oz less...sure thats nothing but my bike is light because I count the grams- comes from flying hiperf RC model planes
    But you can be sure I can live with the weight penalty, which will even be higher if my current riding tool kit doesn't include the proper allen wrenchs to trail adjust the Varial.

And when you guys find CC's for less just remember I bought the .05/1.0/1.5 Angleset..still around $200 and not convenient to adjust at all....mines been good to me(noise free) but there's a reason they call'em CANE CREAK(pun intented)

Guess I forgot not every one is running a dual crown..so sorry to anyone who got excited but has a tapered steerer
    Ive been looking for some info about this..

I want to put an adjustable headset in but I heard negative reviews on the CC, mainly that it makes noises, creaking and popping, and that generally its not good for DH/FR use.

Is this VP Varial a better headset for DH/FR? I put my bike through a lot of abuse and want to make sure it'll hold up.

Lastly, what size am I looking for? I have the '11 One and a '12 888 with a 1 1/8" steer tube. I want to go with an EC lower cup to try and help bring the bottom bracket up a little.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well l sure don't know as I just ordered my VP unit. One thing I'd say is a 250 pound aggressive rider is going to have more trouble with any part than little ole me at 150.
    VP rates it for long travel freeride use, which to my thinking is close enough unless perhaps you race and are an animal/alien.
    Seeing how it works and how its made tells me its as strong as any headset and I'd be more concerned with the bearing used. And that can be changed, bet its a pretty standard size.
    Of course I'll be the guinea pig, but I can't test for heavy riders nor guys who jump so high they need oxygen masks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    UPS delivered this yesterday I'll post up pictures once I get the build started. Thanks Sean!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You are gonna luv that 9t on the one!
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast