Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 One!!!

Canfield Brothers
    I had a little downtime between projects yesterday, so I DH'd out my the One and took her for a spin... it's funny HOW much harder I ride with a dual crown!!! I has Stan's pissing out of my beads from rolling the tires so hard. (I had this wheel/tire set up for almost a year and a half without a single burp). It was super rad riding a DH bike that pedaled this well. It was the MOST fun I have had at Galby since I've been here in Bellingham. I wouldn't trade my Jedi for when it gets rough or the jumps are LARGE, but man was it fun.

The ride yesterday really helped brake in my DB Air as well... I need to do another round of tuning as it's super smooth now.

The changes raised the BB from 13.25 to 13.65 and slackened my HA by a degree and a half to 63.27.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 One!!!-img_2038.jpg  

2012 One!!!-img_2041.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, the ONE is not a Jedi BUT would you spend the day trail riding and climbing a Jedi??
    You obviously are far more in the know than me since I've never hucked at your scale nor ridden a Jedi but would it be safe to say a ONE can do anything a Jedi can do just not as well, while the Jedi can not do everything the ONE does(or just barely)?
    I think we can all agree on one thing, you can't beat a Canfield
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    So I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 The One frame. Now to figure out all the rest. I am going to be asking a lot of questions in this forum.

My main rig is a 140mm travel AM bike, which suffices for most of the stuff around here in Toronto. However, I am starting to get into lift access riding and plan to make some trips out west. I grew up near Seattle and my family still lives out there.

So my plan is to make this a FR/Light DH/park bike. At 37 years of age and having only gotten back into biking 3 years ago, I didn't see myself racing, so a full on DH rig didn't appeal as much. With the One, if I decided lift access riding wasn't reallly my thing (not likely) then I could build it up more AM, so it was a great middle ground for me.

I am having a buddy build up the 9T hub on some DH rims for me. I am leaning towards a Fox 40 and an Elka stage 5 shock. I am pretty clueless on what crank/chainring/chain guide I need. I don't even know what a spider is (i'll go look it up).

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble, but I am super stoked.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The thing to remember about the ONE is that it will pedal as well or better than your AM rig. So keeping it light will help with that, while its not a deal breaker, its obviously easier to get 35 pounds up hill than 40 pounds.
    I mention this because I really think unless you are seriously in love with your AM ride(and your trails have nothing it can't eat up), the ONE will make you park it.
    The beauty of riding a DH capable trail/AM bike is you can hit anything that strikes your fancy. As opposed to riding AM and saying, gee, I have to come back and really hit that on my FR/DH rig.
    So my point in saying that is unless you're a BIG boy, you may want to consider using the MUCH lighter Boxxer WC, which is a super match for the Elka Stage 5. I'm 5'8.5" and 150 and would not want a Fox 40 on my bike, however you may, again, if you're large. Don't listen to the RS haters, the Boxxer WC is a great fork and works really well on the ONE.

Another recommendation would be to build it with the VP Varial headset which will allow you to change HA on the trail. That means your trips to lift served stuff can be with a DH setup and when doing AM/FR work, you can pull the HA back to the 66 deg area where the ONE will turn nicely for use on tight trails and general riding. One could also use a CC Angleset but changing the cones is a PITA.

Your mileage may vary but depending on your trails, you may want to run a double chain ring, I'm not running a chain guide but havent had a chain drop yet with mine. My ONE came with a nice taco guard that keeps the chain from coming off to the inside and I run a Gamut bash guard despite the taco cause it keeps the chain from going off to the outside and is very friendly to your ankles and shins should you errr.. dismount unintentionally

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize that the FOX 40 was so heavy. This is why I post.

I do really love my AM rig (IBIS SL-R) which is pretty damn light for the amount of travel.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    6.93 lbs vs 5.97 lbs, that and lightweight wheels/tires are the biggest single component savings one can do. There are some pretty lightweight wheelsets out there that can take pretty big hits and if you're feeling old(but you really are quite young for FR/DH) you can probably get away with quality AM rims. I AM old so I ride on Crossmax SX's and doubt I'll ever hurt them even at the bike parks. I rode Whistler for a week on a Specialized Pitch with Crossmax ST's and musta bottomed a hundred times and did drops much bigger than the bike was intended for(you know you've over done it when the bike bounces back into the air big time from give and flex in stuff) yet I've never even had to tighten a spoke to this day, and now the wife is rolling on those rims. All depends on your weight and how aggressive you ride.
    Same thing with cranks, bars etc. I run carbon everthing and know they are stronger than I am...not all riders can say that, again, your mileage may vary.
    But my real bottomline point here is build it to suit YOU and don't pay too much mind to old school FR/DH wisdom, the ONE for example makes all that stuff obsolete. Go back 5-7 years and no one in their right mind would pedal a DH bike up serious hills, but now there are several 200mm travel bikes that go uphill as good as anything. I hear even the SC V10's pedal very well and are of course hardcore DH race bikes, so listen to those who ride such bikes, not the old school DH crowd that spout absolutes without ever trying state of the art or thinking outside the box. Oh and Chris Canfield will always tell it like it is and is always up for helping/discussing nearly anything about bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the advice. I think I've figure out some of the stuff, but not yet all. I went with SRAM X9 crankset + Homebrew chainring 29t, Microguide + 9T package for a big part of the drivetrain. Have to figure out brakes and rear derailleur. The later I think depends a bit on which cassette I choose. I assume I want a short cage.

Two looming questions I have are:
    1) Coil versus air fork? The boxxer also comes in a coil version vs the soloair, with the weight penalty of course. Is the penalty worth it. I had always been led to believe that you want coil on a DH rig.
    2) Are the saint brakes really that good? They are pricey. I also don't get the whole mounting scheme of the shimano brakes. Not sure if there are better values out there for performance.

Anyway...those are the questions I am still pondering.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Used to be you just couldn't get the compliance a coil produces with air, those days are gone although you have to be careful what you buy as only a few air products rival coils.
    But at least they exist now, The Boxxer WC being one, and I'll be the first to admit its harder to tune air to equal coil and easier to setup coils but you do have the option now, I think its largely up to how big of a weight weenie you are or want to be. The bigger you are, the less it matters too. My bike weights nearly 25% as much as me, some folks ride with the bike being nearly 10%...so in my mind I HAVE to be more aware of adding weight.

Canfield Brothers
    2012 the One Colors

I had a little time this week to shoot all twelve color options of the One... I also posted colors for ALL our bikes over on our FB page.

Here are the Silver frames...

Enjoy!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 One!!!-silver-green.jpg  

2012 One!!!-silver-orange.jpg  

2012 One!!!-silver-blue.jpg  

2012 One!!!-silver-red.jpg  

2012 One!!!-silver-purp.jpg  

2012 One!!!-silver-black.jpg  

Canfield Brothers
    And the Black frames:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 One!!!-black-green.jpg  

2012 One!!!-black-orange.jpg  

2012 One!!!-black-blue.jpg  

2012 One!!!-black-ano-red.jpg  

2012 One!!!-black-ano-purple.jpg  

2012 One!!!-black-ano-black.jpg  

7MGTE

Some vid...

Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    Man that bike looks sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P. View Post
    thats a nice setup man : )
    Rider : Ben Craner
    Bike : Canfield Brothers 2012 One

Canfield Brothers "The One" from Dual Crown Films on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Was hoping to see more real trail riding. Ben is freakin fast and would like to see him on a trail that does justice to his speed. Canyons looks fun, don't get me wrong, I have just seen him on the DH at Bootleg and would like more video of that type of riding.

mtbr member
    aenema
    let me tell you

i just swapped my 2008 SX trail with the 2012 ONE.

SXT was with rear Elka stage 5 and 2011 160 fox van rc2 upfront, weighted at 15.8 kilo.
    just did a part swap with the ONE, same parts except for the rear CCDB-AIR. bike weights less. thats for one.

as for pedaling, this bike is a hell of a suprise on the uphills in 8" mode!
    with 30% sag, i could pedal stuff that i just could get passed with the SX Trail, steep uphills that go for hundreds of meters would just be impossible with the sx trail! with the ONE in said setup i just laughed as i pedalled uphill! it was like i was on a moto.

and the thing is, on the SX i was pedaling with 34 ring front and 34 [biggest] ring back
    with the ONE i tested it with 34 ring front the 32 [biggest] ring back, and it still was MUCH MUCH happier to climb!

cant wait to get my 32 front the 9-36 back

that thing would be unstoppable!
    '12 Canfield One! - f\/ck yeah!
    '12 Canfield brothers Jedi F1 - so fast im back in time

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    aenema
    let me tell you

i just swapped my 2008 SX trail with the 2012 ONE.

SXT was with rear Elka stage 5 and 2011 160 fox van rc2 upfront, weighted at 15.8 kilo.
    just did a part swap with the ONE, same parts except for the rear CCDB-AIR. bike weights less. thats for one.

as for pedaling, this bike is a hell of a suprise on the uphills in 8" mode!
    with 30% sag, i could pedal stuff that i just could get passed with the SX Trail, steep uphills that go for hundreds of meters would just be impossible with the sx trail! with the ONE in said setup i just laughed as i pedalled uphill! it was like i was on a moto.

and the thing is, on the SX i was pedaling with 34 ring front and 34 [biggest] ring back
    with the ONE i tested it with 34 ring front the 32 [biggest] ring back, and it still was MUCH MUCH happier to climb!

cant wait to get my 32 front the 9-36 back

that thing would be unstoppable!

Hey Katsooba,

I am running the 9:36 with a 32t Saint up front. The 9:36 is killer, big range and flawless for me so far. JMO... the 32t up front for me is great for flowy AM/DH/FR but steep tech climbs are a bit of a hump for me. I am a pretty strong climber, my build is on the heavy side and I have a 180 Fox Float up front (that all contributes).

That being said, for single ring "I think" most riders would like a 28t-32t up front FOR TRAIL/AM. Might spin out on fast DH... maybe? I'm sure there are much stronger riders than me on here so its just a thought.

All aside from that this bike's rear GLUES to the ground on ANY climb and flows like water on descent.

Pretty sure I am going to try a 28t up front for a bit on trail riding, and over the winter swap out to a Zoke 888 evo ti so I can be spring ready. BOING!

Hope this helps.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Huffy Rider
    [QUOTE=unbalanced;9674994 I went with SRAM X9 crankset + Homebrew chainring 29t, Microguide + 9T package for a big part of the drivetrain.[/QUOTE]

So you don't plan on having this ready to ride for 8 months or so? I couldn't wait that long!

BTW, my vote for brakes are Codes, they work awesome on my Diggle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

A pic of my One on top of Razor's Edge near Canmore, Alberta.

I've had it out to Revelstoke, Fernie and lots of Moose Mtn trails the past month. It really does pedal as well as people say, honestly as good as my 5" carbon XC race bike up rocky technical terrain. Certainly not as fast though, it's pretty light at 32lbs but compared to 23.5 it's quite a difference. You do have to watch the pedal strikes when climbing, even with 170mm cranks. Rips the downs as expected!

Have a 2x10 setup with 22/38 cranks and 11-36 cassette as we have lots of long climbs. Gearing is perfect, just keeps cruising up. New Blackspire Twinty chain guide works awesome too.

beater
    Sweet bike!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

veggie
    May 2010

A few questions - sizing, gearing

Sorry for not making a new thread, but this is my first post and I can't start one.
    I may be getting a 2012 Canfield One frame soon, and I would love some info and opinions.

First, I can't decide between getting a medium and a large. I am 6'1'', 180ish, and 32.5 inseam. I would build the bike up as a do it all / pedal-able freeride bike with probably a lyrik 170 in front. Aiming for 34 ish pounds.
    I am leaning towards the medium because I currently ride a voltage fr which is around the same 23'' top tube length. I have ridden a 24'' top tube uzzi and it felt massive. I like smaller-ish, more nimble frames in general, but I don't want more than a 50mm stem. The 17'' seat tube is really appealing because I don't like the seat anywhere near me when riding aggresively.
    Is there enough seat tube to still pedal well?
    Do the frames ride large or small?
    Anyone around my size riding a medium have any thoughts?

Next thing I can't decide is whether to do 1x or 2x front chainring(s).
    How would a front derailleur with a mrp xcg or blackspire stinger do through laps at the canyons, and more downhill style stuff?
    Would I still be able to climb Utah trails with a single 33t front and 11-34 or 11-36 in back? I realize a lot of that is my own fitness but if I would have to be in pro xc shape to do it, it's just not going to happen.

Thanks a lot, I look forward to possibly being a Canfielder. (new word?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fstfrd15 View Post

A pic of my One on top of Razor's Edge near Canmore, Alberta.

I've had it out to Revelstoke, Fernie and lots of Moose Mtn trails the past month. It really does pedal as well as people say, honestly as good as my 5" carbon XC race bike up rocky technical terrain. Certainly not as fast though, it's pretty light at 32lbs but compared to 23.5 it's quite a difference. You do have to watch the pedal strikes when climbing, even with 170mm cranks. Rips the downs as expected!

Have a 2x10 setup with 22/38 cranks and 11-36 cassette as we have lots of long climbs. Gearing is perfect, just keeps cruising up. New Blackspire Twinty chain guide works awesome too.

Yes very sweet ride, great to see more Canfields in BC!

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by rossimcfly View Post

Next thing I can't decide is whether to do 1x or 2x front chainring(s).
    How would a front derailleur with a mrp xcg or blackspire stinger do through laps at the canyons, and more downhill style stuff?
    Would I still be able to climb Utah trails with a single 33t front and 11-34 or 11-36 in back? I realize a lot of that is my own fitness but if I would have to be in pro xc shape to do it, it's just not going to happen.

Thanks a lot, I look forward to possibly being a Canfielder. (new word?)
    I can't offer any suggestions yet on frame size, but i can on the drivetrain. In my opinion, you ought to look into one of the sram/truvativ or middleburn crank sets that has a spiderless spline drive. I live in utah too, and some of the longer climbs would suck with a 34 tooth ring. The nice thing about the spline drive is that you can get chainrings in sizes like 28. Match that with canfield's 9 tooth micro drive hub and you will have a 1x10 that will do everything you want, less weight, full gear range, quieter ride, and less things that can go wrong. Oh and you will need some sort of guide so that it doesn't get caught under the linkage. Yet another reason for a 1x setup. Many 2x chain guides seem to be a bit of a pain
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    well, im 6'0 with 50 mm stem and 760mm deity bar on a 160mm fork

riding a Large.

couldnt be happier

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by fstfrd15 View Post
    You do have to watch the pedal strikes when climbing, even with 170mm cranks. Rips the downs as expected!
    What fork is that Fox? 160 or 180MM?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thought I would finally put mine up after having it most of the summer. Sitting at 34lbs 12 oz as shown. tubed rear and tubeless front setup. I am running 9sp with that crazy heavy but wide range 12-36 rear cassette and a 34 tooth front. Done some pretty big trail rides (3+ hours) on this and though there are times I wish I had lower gearing, I was still always able to grind through. I also have a trail bike so it will likely stay as it is but amazingly versitile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 One!!!-one.jpg  

mtbr member
    so the only change you wish for is moving to a 32T ring upfront?
    heh
    looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sometimes on the grinds. But I like the taller gearing for pointing down the hill. Plus you need it to be big enough to not deal with pedal feedback. I tried a hammerschmidt on it originally and too much caterpillar movement from suspension with the 24 tooth that has. I ran a 32 for a bit and that felt great till I broke that ring and had the 34 spare to mount up. 32 was a great gearing for climbing but a little lacking where the bike shines most. Now I am committed to just grunting along or getting stronger, but amazing really what I am climbing as is. 2k plus ascents are drama free unless it gets steep enough it would be painful on any bike.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast