Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 253

Thread: 2012 One!!!

  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: katsooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    413
    lucky i got mine with the 9T cassette
    but i know what you're saying, that bike just doesnt wanna make you stop pedaling uphill, even though you need to grind sometimes, it just keeps moving.
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

  2. #102
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,732
    I really want to try one of these sometime. The One is at the top of my list for next bike, although I can't see that happening for a few more years, sadly. Wish Canfield was going to Outerbike.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    70
    I am 6'0" 33" inseam and riding a large One with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars. I use mine for southern Utah all mountain riding, a little freeride, a little dh, whatever the trail brings. This size is perfect for me for all around. However, I do wish the seat tube was shorter for freeride. The medium one only has a 1" shorter top tube and the seat tube would be much more friendly on steep jumps. I would recommend that if you are mostly riding freeride and parks. You will still be able to raise the post high enough and the short top tube shouldn't be too bad for pedaling, especially with wide bars. It will pedal very well either way. And the medium will be much closer to your voltage fr.

  4. #104
    veggie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14

    medium it is

    Thanks guys.
    I ended up going with a medium. It may be a little bit short for climbing, but hopefully tolerable, and much more fun for the downhill.
    Also, I think I'll go 33t front / 11-36 rear. Gearing may be a little tall for some Utah trails, but I don't mind hiking the steep parts. If that doesn't work, front derailleur or 9-36 hub and cassette when $$ permits.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    48

    Love my ONE!

    I figured now that I have about 10 rides on her I can share my ONE with you all! still have a couple things I want to do, but she's pretty much how I imagined she'd be.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082469@N06/8067766546/" title="MyONE by SocalFyre, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8067766546_fa1a0dd875_c.jpg" width="800" height="597" alt="MyONE"></a>

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    I figured now that I have about 10 rides on her I can share my ONE with you all! still have a couple things I want to do, but she's pretty much how I imagined she'd be.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082469@N06/8067766546/" title="MyONE by SocalFyre, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8067766546_fa1a0dd875_c.jpg" width="800" height="597" alt="MyONE"></a>
    Pretty. Damn. SICK!

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    I figured now that I have about 10 rides on her I can share my ONE with you all! still have a couple things I want to do, but she's pretty much how I imagined she'd be.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082469@N06/8067766546/" title="MyONE by SocalFyre, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8067766546_fa1a0dd875_c.jpg" width="800" height="597" alt="MyONE"></a>
    Hey, I gotta know.. how much does your rig weigh?

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    48
    Thanks bigcrs! It's my first "real" bike or at least one that's completely new to me. Rage43 I haven't weighed it since putting on he Outlaws but I'm guessing around 35/36 lbs. which may be a little heavy for a small frame but I'm working on trimming weight where I can. Any ideas?

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    Thanks bigcrs! It's my first "real" bike or at least one that's completely new to me. Rage43 I haven't weighed it since putting on he Outlaws but I'm guessing around 35/36 lbs. which may be a little heavy for a small frame but I'm working on trimming weight where I can. Any ideas?
    The cheapest and easiest way for you to trim weight would be with the rubber. For me at 195lbs a 850g'ish muddy marry + tubes(winter tire)is as lite as I will go. IMO, it's got to do with your riding weight and then type of riding/terrain. I ride BC all year round, it's unforgivable terrain on tires. All-in-all you could probably loose a lb+ from the rubber alone. The next thing I'd look at is the rims. Not too sure what they weigh but there is a good chuck of weight to trim there.

    Unfortunately from there, the $ to grams don't balance out, but if your willing to spend you should get anywhere between 30-33lbs with no problem.

    For perspective, my '11 large One weighs 34.6 lbs with 740g (summer WTB Tierwolf's) tires & 160ish tubes f&r. A 620g'ish dropper post, Renthal 780mm dh bars, Mavic 521's. But I have 640g XO carbon crankset. I reckon I could drop a pound without loosing the dropper post. As good as I'm willing to get it. Real world build.

  10. #110
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: KillingtonVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfyre View Post
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082469@N06/8067766546/" title="MyONE by SocalFyre, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8067766546_fa1a0dd875_c.jpg" width="800" height="597" alt="MyONE"></a>
    That's ONE good looking build you have there!

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    48
    Thanks Vin! I can't tell you how stoked I am to have this frame!
    And thanks bigcrs for the input. I'm more than happy with how she is now but I'm sure I'll be tweaking things here and there. I'm just loving the ride and finding my CCDB coil settings. I had to borrow a friends 450# spring to get proper sag since it came with a 350#(which was all that was available at the time of my order). I probably could use a 400 but I'll know for sure after a couple more adjustments. Then cut some weight with a Ti coil

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    66
    Selling my 2011 Medium One for the 2012 Jedi if anyone is interested. For a super low price.
    2011 Canfield The One Medium (reduced price limited time) - Pinkbike

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Was the head tube angle on the 2012 version ever confirmed as 65*? Sean told me the steepest you could get it without an angle set was about 65.5*, which would indicate a 64* head tube angle in the charts.

    I'm super new to mountain biking and this bike is gonna be a huge gift to myself, so I'm going all out for a first bike, and am wondering if I should consider a 1x10 setup, or just stick with a 2x10, being a noob and all. Looking at the Saint cranks in the various threads, I almost feel I'd be doing the bike an injustice, equipping it with the XT cranks I'd planned on getting, haha. 170mm or 180mm fork, for a general Trail/AM setup? Weighing options between a Lyrik and a Totem.

    Thanks in advance for any insight guys. I have an idea of what I want, but thought I should check with those who've been riding these for a while, and see where I might possibly be setting self up for regret.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Hey Heretic Skeptic,

    I have a 2012 the One. Great bike in every way.

    My Fork: 180mm Fox Float on mine. If you are doing more AM go for a 170. My setup leans more towards DH/FR even though it STILL climbs amazing.

    Drivetrain: 1x10 is great I am not going back to a front D again. The gearing IS taller though just be aware. Even with a 32t up front.

    "If" you have any interest. I may be selling my saint 170mm with BB and a 32t AND MRP Mini as a set. I might be going to carbon to drop some weight. If you have any interest PM me... no worries either way.

    You will dig this bike for sure!




    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Was the head tube angle on the 2012 version ever confirmed as 65*? Sean told me the steepest you could get it without an angle set was about 65.5*, which would indicate a 64* head tube angle in the charts.

    I'm super new to mountain biking and this bike is gonna be a huge gift to myself, so I'm going all out for a first bike, and am wondering if I should consider a 1x10 setup, or just stick with a 2x10, being a noob and all. Looking at the Saint cranks in the various threads, I almost feel I'd be doing the bike an injustice, equipping it with the XT cranks I'd planned on getting, haha. 170mm or 180mm fork, for a general Trail/AM setup? Weighing options between a Lyrik and a Totem.

    Thanks in advance for any insight guys. I have an idea of what I want, but thought I should check with those who've been riding these for a while, and see where I might possibly be setting self up for regret.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Hey fauxfreeride! Thanks for hitting me back...I appreciate it.

    I've actually realized that I need to be content with what I have, especially seeing as my funds are very limited, considering I'm about to plunk down $2650 for a frame (how the heck did I get here, haha). I already have 2x10 shifters, SLX brakes, 10-speed cassette and so forth. Selling those to lose money and then spend extra to run a 1x10, or even a 2x10 Saint setup, is just me trying to build the "perfect bike" the first time, and it's completely unnecessary. I should probably be buying something like a $1750 Giant frame, and be happy I even have a bike of this caliber, but....naaaah, haha. You only live once (as far as we know)!

    So, I'm gonna either run a 2x10 XT or 2x10 SLX setup, 24-32, and 11-32 cassette, just to start. I'll likely swap to an 11-36 at some point, and once I start breaking drivetrain parts, I'll have a much better idea of whether I'm up to a 1x10, or 2x10 with a 22-36 setup. Seems practical, especially considering how new I am to the sport. I just need to decide on SLX vs XT. Price difference is $40, so I may as well go XT, but I've been wondering about durability vs SLX, which seems to be labeled as a workhorse type of series. Anyway....

    Direct mount Front D, dual pull sound right?

    What seatpost length are you all running (I noticed the seat tube is cut off that the bottom)? Can only afford Thomson at this point. Dropper in the near future, I hope.

    Wondering what setting I should run the rear shock at, if I'm to run a 170mm fork? 200mm rear and 170mm front seems like it may have some balance issues. Experiences? Thoughts?

    What angleset are folks finding works the best? I just caught wind of the Works Components brand, but have of course been looking at the Cane Creek and VP Varial anglesets as well. Definitely wanna get that head tube angle closer to 66*, so an angleset is a must.

    Lyrik @ 170mm, or Totem @ 170mm?

    Anyone know the stack for the Medium and Large sizes?

    Medium or Large, for 5'11", 32.5" inseam, for primarily Trail/AM rig, but of course will eventually try a DH setup from time to time? 17.3" reach seems loooong.

    Yeah...I think that about covers my "minor" questions and concerns, haha! Pardon the lengthy psot all...I just want do my very best to make sure I do it right the first time, and avoid returning items to get the right stuff. Any and all help is truly, truly appreciated.

    Dakhil

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,866
    I know single rings are all the rage now... I guess it depends a lot on what riding you're doing, and how strong you are. The only real advantage I see to a single is you can run a better chain guide. If you have a competent mechanic setting up your FD, throwing chains isn't a issue - which makes me wonder if lack of competent wrenches is the real problem. I use my granny gear <5% of the time, but I'd be walking otherwise. And I'd rather have a tighter cassette and a dual ring then the sloppy 11-36 range that's common now (with huge gaps between gears).

    XT vs SLX cranks: sure the XT is only $40 more (unless you shop around a bit), but I can't see anything you're actually getting for that money. Durability is the same, weight is close enough, shifting is equal, and the BB bearings are the same. Spend that $40 on something else (XT shifters, IMO are worth the difference over SLX).

    Having the same travel front and rear for the sake of "balance" is overblown. IMO the different travel settings on the one are better used for either rider weight (with heavier riders using the 7" setting, to reduce the leverage ratio, and therefor needing lower spring rate and damping) or style (8" more active, 7" firmer). You could run a 150f, 200r and it wouldn't bother you unless you were constantly thinking about it. The old (2009) one had 8" travel, with a max fork of 160.

    As for size, I'd ride as many bikes as you can and make note of the critical dimensions. Figure out what you want from them..
    I calculate stack as 23.75 on the med, 23.9 on the L, based on the dimensions Canfield lists. This with a 565mm fork (200 dual or 180 single crown), and a 16mm lower headset stack (which I believe would be less with an adjustable headset). The head tubes are really close in length, and the fork is the same, so I'd expect them to be similar.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Thanks Joules. You're feedback really helps me to stay grounded on what's important. Only part I falter on, is liking the way the XT cranks look more than the SLX. I know, I know...I'm a simple dude for that one.

    I can get the Lyrik or Totem for the same price. I think I'm gonna go Totem, even though I'll mostly ride Trail/AM, because I weigh 225 to 230 geared up, it will allow me to grow into the bike and ride damn near anything as I learn, and it is a coil fork. The Lyrik would be Solo Air, and while there's some weight savings there, I was gonna convert the Lyrik to coil anyway, hence added money and more work. Never imagined I'd basically be building a freeride bike months back, but here I am. Totem sound like a good idea, or am I perhaps gonna be to over-biked, in your opinion?

    Stack seems great, so no worries there, if those numbers check out. It's gonna boil down to fit/feel of the cockpit. Large seems more pedal-ready, with the longer seat tube and reach, while Medium would be more playful, though the reach is still very solid for an all-around rig. I think your idea to test ride bikes with similar numbers is a great one.

    Lots to think about, but the big ones are fork and frame, so i'll work towards figuring those out, and move forward from there.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,866
    I have a Boxxer on mine and don't feel like it's too much. I had a 160mm lyric from the old frame for a while, based on that, I'd definitely go toward the Totem over the lyric. And, in general it's easier to shorten forks than lengthen, if you got the Lyric and felt you out grew it, you're SOL, where if you got the totem and felt it was too much, or that you might grow into it, you could shorten it by 10mm (I believe someone on the Sram forum was talking about doing that).

    with the cranks, hey whatever spins your beanie. We all have aesthetic preferences (mine is just a deliberate industrial/"I don't give a damn about looks" -type).

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Haha! I feel you on the looks comment. I think I just need t get it out of my system, and once I crash and mess the XTs up, I'll wish I had gotten the less costly cranks. I always heard new guys lust after looks more than function, so hopefully I'll get over it. Really though, it's just the simplicity of the straight black cranks that draws me in.

    Crossup runs a Boxxer full-time as well and says that works great for him. I can't afford it, but I'm actually wondering if the Boxxer might be more plush than the Totem, as it has 35mm stanchions, while the Totem has 40mm. Hoping the Totem isn't too stiff for everyday use.

    In the end, all of this **** is fantastic, and for someone as new as I am, I may as well just grab the stuff I'm leaning towards, because I have a lot to learn anyway. I figure in a few years, I'll know better what suits me, the bike and so forth. Then, my next component choices will be more on point, and I'll need to bother you guys way less about what to do. Just let me know that the Totem won't absolutely suck for trail riding, please. I am 225 to 230 geared up, so I'm imagining the inherent stiffness won't bother me as much as a lighter rider, though I could just be fooling self.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,866
    I got my boxxer largely on crossup's recommendation. There are some bumping around ebay for pretty good prices. Mine is a WC, I paid about $900 for it all told (shipping, and it didn't come with the tall crown, so I bought one from someone who got both with his, but didn't need it).

    it sounds like you might not be on the same page when talking about fork stiffness. Generally what people mean is stiffness in directions other than the travel i.e., twisting, side-to-side and front-to-back flex. I don't really think there's such a thing as "too stiff" in a suspension fork. It's more that additional stiffness carries a weight penalty, so you usually just want "stiff enough." The spring and damper will determine how plush your fork is, not really the stanchion diameter.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    You got a crazy deal on that Boxxer. Ever tried the Fox 40? That seems to be one Fox fork that people prefer over the Rockshox offering, but it's too rich for my blood. WC vs R2C2 is basically air vs coil, or is there more to it? Has to be, with the price difference. All of the 8" forks look serious as hell.

    Thank you for clearing that up, because I definitely was not on the same page. The stiffness concept makes a lot more sense now. I think I can hack the extra pound, for less worry during unskilled drops and jumps, hahaha. It'll be a great learning experience, as we talked about, and I won't feel as though the bike is lacking anything. Any apprehension will be all about me. Noe that you cleared that up, I think I'd actually prefer the Totem on The One. It's a bit burlier than the standard AM bikes, so it may deserve a burlier fork.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    Seatpost: I have a Spec blacklite 125 on mine. Great clearance. I am 6'2" on a large.
    My headset is not a CC angle and with the 180 fork and a CCDB in 8"
    MY HA is 64.5 (I think).

    Good luck with the build!
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Thanks! For the seatpost, I meant the total length, but I don;t think it matters as much for droppers. Trying to determine if a 410mm is too long, basically.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    So, who in the Seattle area has a Canfield One they'd be willing to let me test ride, to get a feel for the sizing and suspension action? I'd be eternally indebted to you! I think Sean's got a medium up in Bellingham, but anyone with a medium or large, pleeeease let me know.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    So, who in the Seattle area has a Canfield One they'd be willing to let me test ride, to get a feel for the sizing and suspension action? I'd be eternally indebted to you! I think Sean's got a medium up in Bellingham, but anyone with a medium or large, pleeeease let me know.
    I'm in Vancouver with a large 2011. 50mm stem, 160 fork and an Avy air shock. Your more than welcome to have a rip on it if your up this way.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    So, who in the Seattle area has a Canfield One they'd be willing to let me test ride, to get a feel for the sizing and suspension action? I'd be eternally indebted to you! I think Sean's got a medium up in Bellingham, but anyone with a medium or large, pleeeease let me know.
    I'd be happy to let you ride mine once it's done. Waiting on one part that I should have by the end of next week. I'm in Seattle. Last I checked Sean doesn't have a One right now.

    Also, I'd recommend contacting them directly and seeing if you can go up to the Ham and pick it up when you buy it. It's a fun experience!

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I'm in Vancouver with a large 2011. 50mm stem, 160 fork and an Avy air shock. Your more than welcome to have a rip on it if your up this way.
    Vancouver, BC, or Vancouver, WA?

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I'd be happy to let you ride mine once it's done. Waiting on one part that I should have by the end of next week. I'm in Seattle. Last I checked Sean doesn't have a One right now.

    Also, if I were you I'd recommend contacting them directly and seeing if you can go up to the Ham and pick it up when you buy it.
    I was thinking about that (striking it up to Bellingham to grab the frame).

    What size you building up?

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Was the head tube angle on the 2012 version ever confirmed as 65*? Sean told me the steepest you could get it without an angle set was about 65.5*, which would indicate a 64* head tube angle in the charts.
    Just looking at the geo charts now. For the 2012 One the HTA is 65*. That is for any fork with a axle to crown of 565mm. (fox 40, marz 66, boxxer) So with an angle set you would get 66.5 max.

    FYI,

    160mm fork AC 545mm = 66 hta
    170mm fork AC 555mm = 65.5 hta
    180mm & some 200mm forks 565mm = 65 hta

    For a 20mm change to the fork length there would be a one degree change with the HTA.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    I was thinking about that (striking it up to Bellingham to grab the frame).

    What size you building up?
    It's a medium black/blue. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01141647_n.jpg

    Do you have a bike now? We could go to Duthie on Saturday and you could try my Jedi.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Thanks bigcrs! I actually knew all of that (except for confirmation on the head tube angle), but thank you for being willing to help a brotha out!

    Wonder why Sean told me the slackest you could get it with 1.5* angleset is 65.5. Was planning on asking him today. Either way, looks like you can definitely get into the 66* area, which is plenty steep enough for AM riding.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    It's a medium black/blue. http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01141647_n.jpg

    Do you have a bike now? We could go to Duthie on Saturday and you could try my Jedi.
    That frame is looking reeeeal right man! Congrats! I would love to go to Duthie, but I just caught a dang cold. If I shake it by Saturday, I will definitely meet you up there! It's nothing too bad, but I don't wanna pass it on.

    I only have a hardtail (Scott Scale), but I could hit some of the easier stuff, and/or we could do a few loops of Bootcamp, which is about all I've ever done up at Duthie (was there for this past summer's Demo Day). In other words, I'm a puuuure noob, haha. Extremely ready to try just about everything though.

    I'll inbox you my info, and we'll get together this Saturay, or sometime the following week at the latest.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    That frame is looking reeeeal right man! Congrats! I would love to go to Duthie, but I just caught a dang cold. If I shake it by Saturday, I will definitely meet you up there! It's nothing too bad, but I don't wanna pass it on.

    I only have a hardtail (Scott Scale), but I could hit some of the easier stuff, and/or we could do a few loops of Bootcamp, which is about all I've ever done up at Duthie (was there for this past summer's Demo Day). In other words, I'm a puuuure noob, haha. Extremely ready to try just about everything though.

    I'll inbox you my info, and we'll get together this Saturay, or sometime the following week at the latest.
    I've already got the cold and I'll be riding this weekend regardless

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Thanks bigcrs! I actually knew all of that (except for confirmation on the head tube angle), but thank you for being willing to help a brotha out!

    Wonder why Sean told me the slackest you could get it with 1.5* angleset is 65.5. Was planning on asking him today. Either way, looks like you can definitely get into the 66* area, which is plenty steep enough for AM riding.
    No worries! It's good to hear that there are more One's in the PNW! We should all catch up for a ride and brew!

    I have mine '11 setup with a 160mm and zero stack. I believe its around the 65.5 mark. And for the AM riding I do it's killer. Very aggressive, perfect for the mountains around Vancouver.

    Sean probably has a thousand different numbers running around in his head at any given second, an easy mistake.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I've already got the cold and I'll be riding this weekend regardless
    HAHA!! Well, there it is! Let's do it! What time you thinking?

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    No worries! It's good to hear that there are more One's in the PNW! We should all catch up for a ride and brew!

    I have mine '11 setup with a 160mm and zero stack. I believe its around the 65.5 mark. And for the AM riding I do it's killer. Very aggressive, perfect for the mountains around Vancouver.

    Sean probably has a thousand different numbers running around in his head at any given second, an easy mistake.
    Indeed bro! Sounds like we already have a small tribe adding up. I'll most certainly be the weakest link, but I'm all for it!

    You make a good point: He's was likely thinking 2011, and/or thinking, "It really doesn't matter man....once he gets one, he'll ride it at 63.5* ANYWHERE!" Ha!

    You in WA, or BC? They're actually about equidistant from where I presently sit typing, but just wondering. Definitely not too far to come try the large! Beats guessing, any day.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    HAHA!! Well, there it is! Let's do it! What time you thinking?
    Not sure yet... late morning probably. Also weather dependent.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Not sure yet... late morning probably. Also weather dependent.
    Yep, yep. We'll get it figured out.

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    So can you run these Works Components anglesets in plus or minus direction (slackened hta or steepened hta)? I read somewhere that they aren't adjustable, and didn't get what that meant, but was hoping the guy meant you cannot adjust in half-degree increments, which would not bother me at all. I'd be at roughly 66* with an external bottom cup and 1.5* angleset, which is the goal.

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    So can you run these Works Components anglesets in plus or minus direction (slackened hta or steepened hta)? I read somewhere that they aren't adjustable, and didn't get what that meant, but was hoping the guy meant you cannot adjust in half-degree increments, which would not bother me at all. I'd be at roughly 66* with an external bottom cup and 1.5* angleset, which is the goal.
    You can run Works backwards. They just don't adjust the angle like a cane creek.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Got you. Just gotta remove fork and turn it around?

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Got you. Just gotta remove fork and turn it around?
    More like you re-install the headset cups backwards. It's kind of a process.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    More like you re-install the headset cups backwards. It's kind of a process.
    Oh yeah, that's what I envisioned...I just kind of typed it out in a way that made it seem like it was a cakewalk, haha! My bad. Based on reviews and pricing, that seems like the way to go.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    647

    Its time to buy a better headset

    Just got a 40% off flyer from Bike Stop and expected the usual ****** on big discount but dayum...how about the VP Varial in 'our' size(ZS49-ZS49/30) for.......big drum roll.........
    $149.85
    I am SO all over that...CC 3 settings Angleset for sale, hehe

    Did I mention free Fedex shipping, break out you big stick, its gonna be hard to be this one
    No longer impressed with Works Components prices...sorry UK, my bucks stay here
    Last edited by crossup; 10-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigcrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Just got a 40% off flyer from Bike Stop and expected the usual ****** on big discount but dayum...how about the VP Varial in 'our' size(ZS49-ZS49/30) for.......big drum roll.........
    $149.85
    I am SO all over that...CC 3 settings Angleset for sale, hehe
    Killer find! Only 186g's, very interesting indeed.

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    647
    Hmmmm...thats the only thing I DON'T like...the CC is 132g nearly 2 oz less...sure thats nothing but my bike is light because I count the grams- comes from flying hiperf RC model planes
    But you can be sure I can live with the weight penalty, which will even be higher if my current riding tool kit doesn't include the proper allen wrenchs to trail adjust the Varial.

    And when you guys find CC's for less just remember I bought the .05/1.0/1.5 Angleset..still around $200 and not convenient to adjust at all....mines been good to me(noise free) but there's a reason they call'em CANE CREAK(pun intented)

    Guess I forgot not every one is running a dual crown..so sorry to anyone who got excited but has a tapered steerer


    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Killer find! Only 186g's, very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by crossup; 10-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Hmmmm...thats the only thing I DON'T like...the CC is 132g nearly 2 oz less...sure thats nothing but my bike is light because I count the grams- comes from flying hiperf RC model planes
    But you can be sure I can live with the weight penalty, which will even be higher if my current riding tool kit doesn't include the proper allen wrenchs to trail adjust the Varial.

    And when you guys find CC's for less just remember I bought the .05/1.0/1.5 Angleset..still around $200 and not convenient to adjust at all....mines been good to me(noise free) but there's a reason they call'em CANE CREAK(pun intented)

    Guess I forgot not every one is running a dual crown..so sorry to anyone who got excited but has a tapered steerer
    Ive been looking for some info about this..

    I want to put an adjustable headset in but I heard negative reviews on the CC, mainly that it makes noises, creaking and popping, and that generally its not good for DH/FR use.

    Is this VP Varial a better headset for DH/FR? I put my bike through a lot of abuse and want to make sure it'll hold up.

    Lastly, what size am I looking for? I have the '11 One and a '12 888 with a 1 1/8" steer tube. I want to go with an EC lower cup to try and help bring the bottom bracket up a little.

    Thanks!

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    647
    Well l sure don't know as I just ordered my VP unit. One thing I'd say is a 250 pound aggressive rider is going to have more trouble with any part than little ole me at 150.
    VP rates it for long travel freeride use, which to my thinking is close enough unless perhaps you race and are an animal/alien.
    Seeing how it works and how its made tells me its as strong as any headset and I'd be more concerned with the bearing used. And that can be changed, bet its a pretty standard size.
    Of course I'll be the guinea pig, but I can't test for heavy riders nor guys who jump so high they need oxygen masks.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    69
    UPS delivered this yesterday I'll post up pictures once I get the build started. Thanks Sean!


  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    74
    You are gonna luv that 9t on the one!
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •