Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 One!!!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Such a perfect build. Man I am getting phsyched.
    Joules - do have any better pics of the silver finish and purple links? I am undecided on silver/black frame and purple links. I will either go silver/purple, black/purple or black/black.
    Killington - have you been on Crossmax before? Been thinking about them but I wouldn't pick up a set unless I could get some spare spokes at the same time, I know how hard they are to come by where I work/live. I know how you ride so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on durability. I am looking to go for a very similar light weight hard hitting build and wheels are the 1 undecided item. I am also assuming you are on a 170mm 55 and the travel is in 6.5" mode. What is the HA and BB height? This is setup I will be in 80-90% of the time.
    I just want to ride.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo View Post
    Such a perfect build. Man I am getting phsyched.
    Joules - do have any better pics of the silver finish and purple links? I am undecided on silver/black frame and purple links. I will either go silver/purple, black/purple or black/black.
    Killington - have you been on Crossmax before? Been thinking about them but I wouldn't pick up a set unless I could get some spare spokes at the same time, I know how hard they are to come by where I work/live. I know how you ride so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on durability. I am looking to go for a very similar light weight hard hitting build and wheels are the 1 undecided item. I am also assuming you are on a 170mm 55 and the travel is in 6.5" mode. What is the HA and BB height? This is setup I will be in 80-90% of the time.
    The Crossmax's were off of a previous build that I whooped on pretty good. 1750grams, yet still stout! While I certainly don't throw these off of the stuff I'll hit with my Jedi, they certainly see abuse.
    We are currently testing new rims to be able to offer a very light and stout wheelset for next season... I'll keep you posted on the progress there...

As far as geo, in an AM build you'll want an external headset, (unlike my inset). My BB is sitting under 13.5 with a 64.82 HA.
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 07-26-2012 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    KillingtonVT, THAT is PIMP!! Love your build!

mtbr member
    i dont think you can get 6.5" travel with the DB air, do they have it in 8.5x2.5?

if not he is on the 7" mode, which raises the BB by little compared to the shorter travel.

when im gettin the ONE i want it for alot of pedalling, so maybe ill go with the shorter shock option on it.

what are the 8.5x2.5 shock options the ONE has?
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    With the CCDB, it seems you can get both the 8.75x2.50 (6.5"- 7.5" travel) and 8.75x2.75 (7"- 8" travel) shocks.
    Giving you all the offered travel options without having to sacrifice bb height with a 8.5" eye-eye.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    if theres this option with the CCDB i think its a no brainer going for the 8.75X2.5 with 6.5" travel!

anyone can say about its pedalling efficiency with the ONE?

maybe other air shock are a better choice for this?
    or the ccdb is the way to go

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    if theres this option with the CCDB i think its a no brainer going for the 8.75X2.5 with 6.5" travel!

anyone can say about its pedalling efficiency with the ONE?

maybe other air shock are a better choice for this?
    or the ccdb is the way to go
    I only have 1 pedal on mine so far... I was planning on slapping a 8.75x2.5 on it, but Lance recommended the 2.75 to REALLY push the pedaling ability in 8" mode. PRETTY AMAZING... (I'm coming off of a 2012 S-Works Enduro for a pedal bike by the way...) I am getting just about full travel with pretty middle of the road adjustments.

I have Matt Lareau, one of our East Coast rippers, and Henry Miles from Skyline Media working hard to drop a few sick Jedi edits for us, after they leave next week, I'll be sure to put my the One to the test!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    I only have 1 pedal on mine so far... I was planning on slapping a 8.75x2.5 on it, but Lance recommended the 2.75 to REALLY push the pedaling ability in 8" mode. PRETTY AMAZING... (I'm coming off of a 2012 S-Works Enduro for a pedal bike by the way...) I am getting just about full travel with pretty middle of the road adjustments.

I have Matt Lareau, one of our East Coast rippers, and Henry Miles from Skyline Media working hard to drop a few sick Jedi edits for us, after they leave next week, I'll be sure to put my the One to the test!!!

I agree with the way The One pedals in 8" mode. I just had my One set up in full-on DH mode with Dorado's and all. It pedaled like no other DH bike on this planet. But those like me that want a true AM the One needs/should be setup in 6.5". The ability to REALLY have two bikes in One is what attracted me to the One in the first place.

I have gone from a 66rc3 to a 55 Micro Ti, and not regretted the change at all! Can I say that setup with zero stack & 160mm the One ABSOLUTELY SLAYS the North Shore.

I have a Avy SSD modified DHX on its way, it's a 8.75x2.5. I focused the tuning based exclusively around the 6.5" setting and all the AM exploits I plan to do with the One.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    So basically One with ccdb-a 8.75x2.5 on 6.5" setup is the way to go for an am bike? I mean, you can always take the shock from the jedi to hit the 8" mode:-)

Hey Vin, sorry for the obviouse question, but how is it pedalwise compared to the s-works? Assuming you are on 7" mode on the One?

As i said, i plan on going ccdb-a in 6.5" mode on the one for AM and tons of pedalling

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just received this today, cannot wait to build it up!!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Built up and first ride!!!

Got the last of my parts and put it together.

BUILD:
    First off, let me say how impressive the frame is. I am just an amateur builder but the machine work and prep is amazing. The bike went together with the parts I had planned like pizza and beer... just meant to be. Not one issue on the build.

MY PART SPEC:
    Frame - Large The One
    Shock - Cane Creek DB Coil (MuthaF--ka)
    Headset - King Devolution
    Fork - 2013 Fox Float 180 RC2 (Yes! It is FINALLY more linear!)
    Bars - RF Atlas FR Stealth 750
    Stem - Easton Havoc 35mm
    Grips - Rogue Lock On
    Brakes - Avid Code
    Cranks - Saint M810 170mm
    Chainring - RF Single 32t (My first single)
    Guide - MRP Mini
    Pedals - Time Z Strong
    Rear D - Sram X9 (Short cage... WORKS!)
    Shifter - Sram X9
    Chain - SRAM 1071
    Cassette - SRAM (11...errr... now 9/36!)
    Hub Rear - Canfield 9t (MuthaF--ka)
    Hub Front - King 20mm
    Rims - DT Swiss FR600
    Tires - Maxxis Minion DFH 2.5
    Seat post - Spec Blacklite
    Seat - WTB Pure V
    Cables - Jagwire Ripcord
    Brake Housing - Avid (Soon to be Jag)

Initial Ride:
    The cockpit to me is different than other bikes (IMO). I feel like I sit "in" the bike, not on it. This was more obvious on downhills when the suspension came alive. I ride mostly aggressive trail and some LIGHT DH/FR. This is a step up rig for me.

All the talk about the pedaling is true. Mind you my build is a bit heavy and slack on the HA (64.5) but the rear tire GLUES itself to the ground in the 8" mode?!?!?!?!? (Thanks Sean). If there is any bob I couldn't notice it.

Only did one big ride so I won't say much more than I am impressed past what I was expecting. All around super fun in rocky/rooty/up-down east coast terrain.

One note... The 9t seems to be the shiz! FLAWLESS lace up to the rims for me and shifts perfect. I really hope this is a trend in gearing all around.

Thanks Canfield!

ps: Yes my steerer is too long. Wanted room for adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 One!!!-canfieldone.jpg  

Last edited by fauxfreeride; 08-06-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Since it sounds like you've ridden the bike at 8", perhaps you can tell me why people are reducing travel and using less suspension. I'm seriously asking because I came off a Specy Pitch(with nothing but top shelf parts) and I consider my 8" Boxxer/Stage5 ONE setup to be a far superior AM rig to the Pitch. To me it seems to do everything better AND I've got a full DH rig instantly ready by merely pushing the KS dropseat button
    To me, at 8" the bike is several rolled into one...since a lot of good riders are doing up ONEs like you, I figure I'm not getting something, help.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I agree with the way The One pedals in 8" mode. I just had my One set up in full-on DH mode with Dorado's and all. It pedaled like no other DH bike on this planet. But those like me that want a true AM the One needs/should be setup in 6.5". The ability to REALLY have two bikes in One is what attracted me to the One in the first place.

I have gone from a 66rc3 to a 55 Micro Ti, and not regretted the change at all! Can I say that setup with zero stack & 160mm the One ABSOLUTELY SLAYS the North Shore.

I have a Avy SSD modified DHX on its way, it's a 8.75x2.5. I focused the tuning based exclusively around the 6.5" setting and all the AM exploits I plan to do with the One.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Since it sounds like you've ridden the bike at 8", perhaps you can tell me why people are reducing travel and using less suspension. I'm seriously asking because I came off a Specy Pitch(with nothing but top shelf parts) and I consider my 8" Boxxer/Stage5 ONE setup to be a far superior AM rig to the Pitch. To me it seems to do everything better AND I've got a full DH rig instantly ready by merely pushing the KS dropseat button
    To me, at 8" the bike is several rolled into one...since a lot of good riders are doing up ONEs like you, I figure I'm not getting something, help.
    Someone help me and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong... I have been riding my '11 The One for 3 weeks now and here is what I have observed;

The shock options don't change the Geo of the frame because the i2i on the shocks is the same, just the stroke length is different. Only thing that changes the Geo is the setting on the frame. The only reason you would get shorter travel is because the shorter stroke shock prevents the frame from reaching the full potential. Using the low hole (8"/7.5") sets the frame in its higher stance, more spread out if you will, with a highest possible BB height. Using the upper hole (7"/6.5") will put the bike into its lower stance, bringing the front and rear triangles closer together thus lowering the bottom bracket. Also, since the frame measurements were given with the effective length of a boxxxer or 40, using any of the shorter forks will further drop your BB.

Given this, using the 6.5" setting with a fork shorter than an 8" would set your bottom bracket even lower than the listed geo sheet.

As I am seeing it, to effectively have the highest possible BB you would want the longest fork possible and in the 8"/7.5" setting. I was even toying with the possibility of using and angleset to steepen the HA and try to bring the BB up even more.

Any into or other opinions I would love to hear.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Most modern forks have similar A2C lengths once you get above 150mm travel, so unless you use a odd ball fork, your front end will stay around the same.
    If you check the math, I think you'll find pulling it the HA will only raise the BB, microscopic amounts..3 degs was less than 1/8" IRC. I'm running 66 deg with the CC Angleset and my forks pulled up 2 inches above the top clamp. That obviously lowers my BB by about an inch, yet I seem to have no issue with pedal clearance
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    any more ride reviews?
    mostly on the AM pedalling side?

thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also interested in ride reviews. Currently just sold off two of my 29ers and a little worried about going back to 26", not to much though. Mainly wondering if this is truly the "One" bike. Can I use it for a 50 mile XC ride and not be dead! Can I turn around and freeride Az's super chunk trails? The new 650b thing looks interesting, if only the bike worked in that setup. Bigger wheels climb and XC a lot better in my opinion but 26" is much funner coming down, ahhhh what to do???

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    any more ride reviews?
    mostly on the AM pedalling side?

thank you!
    Katsooba,

I have been spending a bunch of time on my the One midweek at our local pedal up and rip down spot. The climb is about 45 minutes up and is a really good test for this bike! Pedaling efficiency is just insane!! I have been loaning out my bike a bunch of people and have had people freaking out over it. It's fun to give them a 30.5 lb bike and then telling them how much travel it has!!!

I opened up the HSC on my CCDB Air to only 2 clicks and have my LSC set at about 8. The bike is definitely smoother through chop now and didn't seem to loose anything on the ups!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Would love to hear how your bike pedals compared to your S-Works Enduro. I have a 2010 Enduro Pro and have to earn my DH on most rides, but like to go up to the Shore, Stevens, Whistler, etc. I would be very interested in this bike if it climbs better than my Enduro. It looks like it definitely goes down better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Katsooba,

I have been spending a bunch of time on my the One midweek at our local pedal up and rip down spot. The climb is about 45 minutes up and is a really good test for this bike! Pedaling efficiency is just insane!! I have been loaning out my bike a bunch of people and have had people freaking out over it. It's fun to give them a 30.5 lb bike and then telling them how much travel it has!!!

I opened up the HSC on my CCDB Air to only 2 clicks and have my LSC set at about 8. The bike is definitely smoother through chop now and didn't seem to loose anything on the ups!
    I was wondering who much that rig weighed, but I didn't expect 30.5lbs!! My '11 One has been on a diet, as it is now it's sitting at 33.65lbs, down from 37.87lbs.

Killington, whats the weights of all the available One sizes.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I was wondering who much that rig weighed, but I didn't expect 30.5lbs!! My '11 One has been on a diet, as it is now it's sitting at 33.65lbs, down from 37.87lbs.

Killington, whats the weights of all the available One sizes.

We haven't weighed all the sizes, but if I remember correctly, a medium with a Vivid Air weighed 9.1 lbs.

As far as my build, I swapped the parts over from my 27.01 lb S Works Enduro. Yeah, my the One is pretty freaking light, but she feels SO GOOD! The confidence difference when things get rowdy is unreal... pedaling??? Lets just say that I DON'T miss my old bike!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So I assume I could transfer most of my parts from my Enduro Pro over to this bike? Would the E160 fork work ok on this bike? Tell me about your single ring - how much difference is there in the lowest gear compared to my double ring set up?

For taking up on the lifts, would it be wise to have a set of heavy duty DH type wheels, and can you get by with an air shock when doing shuttles and lift riding?

Next time I am up in Bellingham, I would love to check out your bike.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    So I assume I could transfer most of my parts from my Enduro Pro over to this bike? Would the E160 fork work ok on this bike? Tell me about your single ring - how much difference is there in the lowest gear compared to my double ring set up?

For taking up on the lifts, would it be wise to have a set of heavy duty DH type wheels, and can you get by with an air shock when doing shuttles and lift riding?

Next time I am up in Bellingham, I would love to check out your bike.
    Most of your parts will swap over with the exception of the rear hub. You will need a 135 or 142x12. As far as the fork, the key to an AM build with the One is keeping the BB as high as possible. An external headset will certainly help this! I made the mistake of ordering an internal and my BB is at 13.25 with my 55. The A to C on the E160 is pretty short, I would opt to sell it with your frame and slap on something longer.

I run a single ring as I despise front derailleurs!!! My next build will certainly be our 9t Microdrive setup with a 28 front mated to a 9-36 rear. This would allow for a HUGE range of gearing without that clunky thing that attaches to the frame above the chainrings.

Lastly wheels, it depends on how smooth you are and what kind of terrain you ride. While I can get away with Crossmax SX's on my the One, there's NO WAY I could run those, or something similar on my Jedi.

Hope that helps bro!!!

Vin

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This helps, thanks. Would love to go to a single ring if I can get close to the lowest gears on my current set up. Sounds like I can with this set up. Do you ever have any demos up in Bellingham to check out?

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    This helps, thanks. Would love to go to a single ring if I can get close to the lowest gears on my current set up. Sounds like I can with this set up. Do you ever have any demos up in Bellingham to check out?
    Right now we just have my the One.. if you can ride a small, you are more welcome to it! Sean should be moved up here by next weekend, not sure if he still has his the One or not... I know he has been spending a bunch of time on his Jedi lately...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Gearing: I am running the 9t (9:36) with a 32t Saint 170 up front. The 9t is crazy good for range. Using my One more for freeride and little all mountain. With MY gear ratio HEAVY "technical" climbs can be wearing, this is were I would say the 28 or 30t spiderless would be SPOT on for climbs. I am most likely doing this soon.

Speaking of climbing: I have a CCDB coil and left it in 8". Bike is glued to the ground for rocky uphills and has zero bob. The climbing on the One is not a fable. I am sold 100%. Downhill the rear comes alive and blows over the rough stuff. The geo has changed how I ride for sure.

Fork: I have a 180 fox float 2013 (rad linear). CK external headset. This has definitely minimized pedal strikes on climbs. Killington is spot on if you want an AM bike. Keep the BB up with an external headset.

ps: Keep them handlebars wide so you can handle this speed inspiring beast.

Best
    I got more bikes than skills, son!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast