mtbr member

2012 Canfield The One Sizing Thread

I've poured through just about every thread on the The One, including threads pertaining to previous models (2010-2012). It seems there is really only one thread dealing with sizing, and it's for 2010 models, with maybe 6 posts in total. So, I've decided to start a thread dealing particularly with 2012 The One sizing, so that those of us unable to demo the bike can try to paint a better picture of what folks our height and inseam length are riding, size-wise.

Include your height and inseam without shoes, style of riding, as well as stem and bar length. I've got test ride opportunities, but the Large in particular will be more difficult to test out for some time. Oh, and including other bikes/sizes/cockpit setups you've found to fit just as well would be super helpful! Thanks in advance! I think a lot of us may be looking for this kind of info in one concise thread, so I'm looking forward to it!

Oh, and I'm 5'11", 32.5" inseam, and ALWAYS between Medium and Large.

veggie
    May 2010

med vs large

I am blessed enough to have recently acquired a 2012 One frame. My friend also just got one. Mine is a medium, his is a large. Here is my take on the sizes so far.

About me -
    Height - 6'1''
    Inseam - 32.75''
    Style of riding - Everything from Utah up and back pedal rides, just for fun wherever rides, shuttle runs, and resort riding. I'm always more focused on the downhill side of things whether its riding or building a bike.
    Stem length - 50mm Holzfeller
    Bar width - 785mm Funn Fatboy DH
    One frame size - Medium

Let me first say I am completely glad I went with the medium. And I have ridden both.
    I probably made up my mind 6 different times between the two bikes. Talking with Sean at Canfield was helpful. He said either would work, but the large is a 'big bike'.
    The factors that helped me decide between the sizes most were - seat tube length, wheelbase, and top tube length.
    Seat tube length - I like my seat really low when descending. The 17'' seat tube was appealing for this reason. I have a 19'' seat tube bike that I can ride on anything, it's just not ideal for me for pure downhill or jumping. With the 17'' One, I am able to get a 367mm Thomson post almost all the way down without coming out the bottom of the tube too far. And I still get enough extension to where I like the seat for climbing. There was a bunch of crap inside the seat tube that scratched up my post, but that is a different story.
    Wheelbase - I like wheelbases around where the medium length is. It is a good balance of stability and responsiveness / playfulness.
    Top tube - If I were building a custom bike for myself for the same purpose, I would probably make the top tube 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than the medium. But choosing between the 23'' and 24'' lengths on the med and large, I went with the shorter. 24'' and longer top tubes always feel like I'm riding on something, rather than being connected with the bike.

My buddy (*estimated) -
    Height* - 6'3''
    Inseam* - 34''
    Riding style* - Similar to mine. Likes drops a lot. Pedals more than me probably.
    Stem length - 45mm Thomson
    Bar width - 800mm Enve DH
    One frame size - Large

He loves the bike. It fits him well. It has improved his riding a lot actually. Or maybe just his courage
    My experience on the large - The large is definitely big, but not overly big. The most noticeable differences between the sizes are reach and wheelbase.
    The reach is manageable. Again, it is just preference on what kind of feel you like.
    The wheelbase is super stable. It does not feel as responsive as the medium though.

Medium feel -
    Haven't been out a ton and it just snowed, but so far.....
    The medium One is the best manualing full suspension bike I've ever ridden.
    Descending is a blast.
    Climbing is good. The power really goes to the wheel. The slightly shorter top tube doesn't bother me. That was the only thing I was worried about. Even with the zero setback Thomson post and relatively short 50mm stem, I felt comfortable.

Large feel -
    I would say for someone around my size the large is for people who want to pedal more than downhill, or like the feel of riding a big, stable bike. I could ride and have fun on both, but for me the medium was right.

Bikes I've ridden that feel closer to the medium -
    2011 Scott Voltage FR Long
    2009 Jamis Xam Large
    2011 Santa Cruz Heckler Large - kind of in between med and large
    2012 Trek Slash Large

Bikes I've ridden that feel closer to the large -
    2010 Intense Uzzi Large
    2009 Specialized Enduro Large
    Motorcycles

Great thread btw!

mtbr member
    Great thread! +1 rep

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im 5'8" and have an opportunity to buy a used "one". The only problem is that it is a large. Would I be crazy or is it possible to fit? I haven't had a chance to go see the bike yet as it is a couple hours away. It is a great deal though so I really want to give it a chance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Im 5'8" and have an opportunity to buy a used "one". The only problem is that it is a large. Would I be crazy or is it possible to fit? I haven't had a chance to go see the bike yet as it is a couple hours away. It is a great deal though so I really want to give it a chance!
    No way.

Look at the time!
    rossimcfly said it all. I'm 6" (33 or 34" inseam) and ride a medium (DH). Fits like a glove.

I would possibly maybe consider a large if it was for a AM/Uphill build. Then again, screw that. I'd just put a 70mm stem or a setback post on my medium.

At 5'8", the large will be huge for you.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    man thats disappointing! How much do you think I could sell the 2012 frame and rear shock for? Assuming it is in prime condition. I was thinking maybe buying it and selling the frame and rear shock and then buying a new frame and shock in my size from canfield.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    I was thinking maybe buying it and selling the frame and rear shock and then buying a new frame and shock in my size from canfield.
    Save yourself the trouble and just buy one frame.

mtbr member
    im 6'
    ride a large with 35 mm stem, may change it to 45mm stem, 760 bars, but will have it at 780 soon

love it doing mostly desert rides and pedal stuff
    just sent my ccdb-a to the high flow canister fix,
    the bike sits at 15.7 kg with adjustable seatpost
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!