NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

2011 Jedi rear shock hole questions

I've been riding my 2011 Jedi with the shock in the top hole since day one, and I've been very happy with it. But last week I started riding a faster trail with bigger jumps and I felt it bottoming out for the first time. And the second time, and the third...

So I want to try the middle hole. Ultimately I want the bike to feel the same as it does now most of the time, but with a little more stiffness at high travel. It's my understanding that the middle hole will give a more progressive effective spring rate, so this seems like a good idea.

Does the middle hole make the spring softer at low travel (regular riding) or stiffer at high travel (landing jumps), or both?

This really comes down to a question of whether I should switch to a stiffer spring at the same time that I switch shock holes. The shock is out right now to replace a bushing anyway. I have a 400# spring installed now, and I have a 450# sitting in a bag, so it would be really easy to switch. Should I?

Thanks any advance for any insights!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    So I want to try the middle hole. Ultimately I want the bike to feel the same as it does now most of the time, but with a little more stiffness at high travel. It's my understanding that the middle hole will give a more progressive effective spring rate, so this seems like a good idea.
    Why don't you test it and find out? Put in the 450, put it on the linear hole, and measure sag. Then w/ no other change to the shock, put it on the next hole (middle) and remeasure sag. Then repeat for the most progressive hole. You'll have your answer if the sag increases or decreases, no?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Canfield Brothers
    Sag will increase as you move the shock mount down. However you can deal with the small amount of change with a little pre-load and compression. Try it with the same spring, it should be very close to what you have now. If you are bottoming a lot, the stiffer spring in the lowest hole will give a soft beginning stroke and better bottom out resistance. Ride your bike, don't be afraid to try different settings.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Why don't you test it and find out? Put in the 450, put it on the linear hole, and measure sag. Then w/ no other change to the shock, put it on the next hole (middle) and remeasure sag. Then repeat for the most progressive hole. You'll have your answer if the sag increases or decreases, no?
    Because this is fundamentally just a math problem, and I like math. Whereas, switching springs requires removing and reattaching the rear triangle, which is kind of a pain in the butt.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Sag will increase as you move the shock mount down. However you can deal with the small amount of change with a little pre-load and compression. Try it with the same spring, it should be very close to what you have now. If you are bottoming a lot, the stiffer spring in the lowest hole will give a soft beginning stroke and better bottom out resistance. Ride your bike, don't be afraid to try different settings.
    Thanks! I'll start with the 400 and a little more preload, and see how that works out.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Same spring with more preload worked out nicely. I rode the same trail about ten times yesterday, hitting all of the same jumps, and never felt it bottom out. Other than that it still feels like the same bike, so I'm happy.