Roll on Spring Time!

2010 Jedi vs 2012 One

Can anyone compare these bikes? I am currently on a 2010 Jedi and 2010 Delirium. I love my Delirium and since I travel alot it is the bike I take with for the "one bike". I dont get to ride the Jedi much since I am not home for most of the year and I find it a little difficult to adjust to, so I feel like I am losing ride time settling into the bike. It is just not a natural feeling bike but great when you have it nailed. I tend to run a fair bit of compression to stop the rear sagging into its travel on hard turns and I find it blows through a little too much on big hits. This set up also makes it a little easier to adjust after riding the livelier Delerium. I am not convinced my Elka is up to scratch and I am about to order an Xfusion HLR air for my home return in 4 weeks, cant frikken wait. I expect this will also improve my feelings towads the Jedi. I am so impressed with the recent Xfusion goodness on my Delerium. I am also not over whelmed with the pedaling atributes of the Jedi, I like to sprint alot and find the Jedi a little draining. My main trails in South Africa are not super steep so alot of pedaling required to carry speed in some sections.

So I am interested to know how the One compares to the Jedi for full baller DH and FR goodness. I am also interested to know the effectiveness of the travel adjust. Some designs I have tried dont work. I love the adjustablilty and see myself using it alot if it works. By the time I am ready to order the One my Delerium would have seen some serious abuse and milage so I feel I can justify the purchase. I will probably be looking to replace the Jedi though and run the Delerium where I work and the One at home, I start a month off/month one rotation in Novemebr so both bikes will get good trail time. I will keep the Jedi for the day I can moved back home full time by which time the One might stay in shorter travel mode and the Jedi for those just so days.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    i dont know about 2010 vs 2010
    but here is a nice comparison one of the canfield rider put up for the 2012 vs 2012 full on dh!

https://vimeo.com/44660090
    14' Canfield Jedi - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Sick video!

I wish I could answer your question, but for whats it's worth I just sold my 2010 Legend frame so I could really utilize the One to it's full capabilities. To have two bikes in one! I've always thought that my '11 One was/is just as responsive and capable as the Legend in most aspects. The Legend is a true high speed thoroughbred, and only shines in those conditions and with the right pilot. I don't have the ability/balls to ride the Legend to its potential.

I've used the One with Droado's a few times in the past (its going to happen way more this year). The One is really raked out with the long A2C, similar to the Legend but feel's a little taller in the front end, which I like. The other reason why I prefer the One over the Legend is because of the slightly higher BB and because it's way less loaded sag, and for me (I'm comparatively slow in DH) that's a good thing. The One is much better suited for me, when built as a DH bike, purely because of this forgiving (I find) nature.

Have you been able to compere the two different geo spec's? You should also be warned, if you go for the One, you might find you'll have a redundant Delirium....
    Last edited by bigcrs; 07-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Jedi and a 2011 One. Perhaps I can offer some use comparisons.

HLR Air is AWESOME. You will love it for adjustability. Plus it's light as heck. I use it for both the One and Jedi and it's of course easier to setup vs. the coil version. The HLR Air works terrific on both the Jedi and One imho. If you are worried about getting the sag and compression set perfect, the air is the way to go.

Travel adjust on the One is cool, but to be honest, I leave it in 8" mode all the time. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, since 8" mode works...the suspension really makes pedaling in either mode great. The 8" mode works so well that figured having full travel all the time is great. Running a 180mm single crown up front and 8" in the rear...feels fine to me at least. I'm riding this setup for everything and it is so nice...really like a mini-DH bike that can climb.

For dedicated DH, The One was awesome too when i had it setup for that. BUT, if you want a plow bike, I think the Jedi works better, sooo smooth as I'm sure you know. Sounds like you want a better pedaling platform so the One is possibly better for that reason I think the Jedi eats a bit of energy when you pedal it vs. the One.

The One geo suggests DH, but it's so adaptable to be ridden for everything else.

From what it sounds like you want, the 2012 One would probably be perfect. I can't even think of another frame with this much travel that could compete in terms of sheer versatility (please let me know if there are...).

Edit: forgot to add that the different shock settings on the Jedi are a nice way to fine tune how you want the rear to feel. At first i was digging the top most (linear) setting, and that makes eating up stuff fantastic, but the middle setting seems to be a nice compromise of that but a little progressive when you bottom out. Not sure if you messed around with the different shock mounts in your Jedi to fine tune it.
    Last edited by kameraguy; 07-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.

mtbr member
    hey bigcrs and kameraguy

could you share your heighta and bike sizes for the one?

im thinking of getting the 2012 one for AM riding, and dont know what size to go for

im 6'0 exactly and im comfy on the large 2012 jedi.

but cant decide M or L one:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    So you are using the HLR air for full on DH on both bikes? How much did you pay for yours and where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    I have a 2012 Jedi and a 2011 One. Perhaps I can offer some use comparisons.

HLR Air is AWESOME. You will love it for adjustability. Plus it's light as heck. I use it for both the One and Jedi and it's of course easier to setup vs. the coil version. The HLR Air works terrific on both the Jedi and One imho. If you are worried about getting the sag and compression set perfect, the air is the way to go.

Travel adjust on the One is cool, but to be honest, I leave it in 8" mode all the time. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, since 8" mode works...the suspension really makes pedaling in either mode great. The 8" mode works so well that figured having full travel all the time is great. Running a 180mm single crown up front and 8" in the rear...feels fine to me at least. I'm riding this setup for everything and it is so nice...really like a mini-DH bike that can climb.

For dedicated DH, The One was awesome too when i had it setup for that. BUT, if you want a plow bike, I think the Jedi works better, sooo smooth as I'm sure you know. Sounds like you want a better pedaling platform so the One is possibly better for that reason I think the Jedi eats a bit of energy when you pedal it vs. the One.

The One geo suggests DH, but it's so adaptable to be ridden for everything else.

From what it sounds like you want, the 2012 One would probably be perfect. I can't even think of another frame with this much travel that could compete in terms of sheer versatility (please let me know if there are...).

Edit: forgot to add that the different shock settings on the Jedi are a nice way to fine tune how you want the rear to feel. At first i was digging the top most (linear) setting, and that makes eating up stuff fantastic, but the middle setting seems to be a nice compromise of that but a little progressive when you bottom out. Not sure if you messed around with the different shock mounts in your Jedi to fine tune it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    hey bigcrs and kameraguy

im thinking of getting the 2012 one for AM riding, and dont know what size to go for

I'm on a large with 50mm stem, and 6'1.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    So you are using the HLR air for full on DH on both bikes? How much did you pay for yours and where did you get it?
    I have one HLR air and one HLR coil. Got the coil with my One, the Air I bought direct from x-fusion with the intent to move the coil to the Jedi and Air to the One.

When I got the Jedi, I tried both coil and air, and was amazed at how good the Air felt on it. I am not doing anything crazy like hucking or racing some gnarly trails, rather riding down the rutted steeps we have here in Northern Ca. Both shocks felt great, the air just surprised me at how comparable it felt to the coil version. And it's almost a half pound lighter than the coil with Ti spring.

Currently the Air is on the One and coil back on the Jedi just in the interest of keeping the One lighter. But in my mind I wouldn't hesitate to have the Air for both. It's nice to have that much tuning ability and weight savings without a noticeable difference in performance, to me at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    hey bigcrs and kameraguy

I'm 5'7". I have a small for both bikes, both with 50mm stems. The Jedi runs noticeably smaller. The small on the One felt perfect to me, the Jedi a little small, I'm used to it now though. In hindsight i probably would have gone medium Jedi for the slightly larger size, but also to be able to use the bottom shock position. The shocks i'm running hit the bottom tube in that bottom mount for the small.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I think the 2012 Jedi doesnt help me out as much in comparrasons due tot he fact that there were changes in the the suspension, so I believe. If I am not mistaken it is a bit more progressive.

Yes I am hoping the HLR air will help me find that sweet spot, drop a bit of weight and ultimatley give the jedi a little more pop. The Jedi jumps perfectly to me but for flatter jumps or when doubling rock sections I find it hard to get off the ground. I plow when I have to but I believe I prefer a more playfull bike and I am working on plowing less in favour of better skills and line choice.

I think we all like speed and ride as fast as we feel comfortable. The Jedi definatley prefers speed in my opinion but the trouble is when you drop speed or hit a flatter section or need to sprint into a jump then it eats up energy.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    I'm 5'7". I have a small for both bikes....The shocks i'm running hit the bottom tube in that bottom mount for the small.
    Just wanted to correct myself with this statement, the X-Fusion vector HLR does "not" hit the down tube in the bottom progressive setting on size Small. It has just slightly over a hair of clearance. Very tight fit, but have run it that way for the past two weeks without any nicks so it seems OK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Could you define better what makes the jedi worth having; and what you prefer about it over the One. I tried the jedi for just a minute and it seemed to have amazingly good pedeling abilities. Is the suspension smoother? Does it handle better? Enough so to make it worth having? You coveedr nicely what was better with the one and under what conditions. I'd just like to know what makes the jedi specia in light of how the One rides.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by daynegrant View Post
    Could you define better what makes the jedi worth having; and what you prefer about it over the One. I tried the jedi for just a minute and it seemed to have amazingly good pedeling abilities. Is the suspension smoother? Does it handle better? Enough so to make it worth having? You coveedr nicely what was better with the one and under what conditions. I'd just like to know what makes the jedi specia in light of how the One rides.

Don't know if you want my 2cents, but here goes.

I've owned a 11' One and 11' Jedi. I had the One buit as a DH bike for a week prior to going to whistler and then using it in Whistler. This was when I was waiting for my 11' Jedi to get to me.
    When I returned I had my Jedi waiting for me to build, and I built down the One to a Am bike.
    So, for your question "I'd just like to know what makes the jedi specia in light of how the One rides"

The Jedi is a class above the One in retro specs for it's discipline. Take for instance the Intense M9 vs. 951.
    Jedi has the One beat in my opinion on the DH aspects, but that's not taking anything away from the One. Jedi is just that more tune and dedicated for what it was built for Racing, to go as fast as possible on a tough, steep, tight, DH course.
    The One can do the same, just not as a perfect 10 as the Jedi. It does have less rearward axle path, so your square edge hits are more noticable vs. Jedi. Other than that handling is pretty similar. Just the Jedi seems snappeir and more agile due to it's smaller feel and rearward axle path which helps on the corners. Remember this is very small margin of differences in each abilities. I think the Bros just made the One for that guy who can't have multiple dedicated bikes. But loves to ride multiple disciplines. One does Jump easier than the Jedi, I wouldn't say better just easier.

So with all that being said, truly you have to ask yourself, not what bike, but more what are you looking out of "A" bike. DH specific, FR/DH, AM/FR/DH????
    You want race breed Dh beast, or you want the Jack of all trades.

Honestly, unless you hone the skills of a master mtnbiker ie Chris, Lance, you probably won't notice much disadvantage to any of the two. Pick one and ride it sh!t out of it!

For the record Both Chris, and Lance and lots of their sponsored riders has/currently use the One as their DH race bike. I think one of them won a race out in Bootleg when they were releasing the One V.2. So like I said you can't go wrong with either.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

Canfield Brothers
    The Jedi allows me to push past my comfort zone and saves me when I mess up. Smoother at high speeds and on harsh impacts. I use this for lift serve, shuttling and anytime I feel the DH/jumps might get crazy.

The One is a sprint machine. Built to pedal great for all around use but has DH geo so you can really ride it anywhere. I use this for anything from DH race to AM riding. If I think I might be pedaling allot or unsure if I need a AM bike or a DH bike, it's the One.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think I can answer my own question now that I have the jedi.
    The jedi takes the amazing things the One has and makes most of them better. The only thing the One remained better at over the Jedi was the pedaling and climbing, but not much better. Even less noticeable if you have a 10 speed drivetrain. The fact that the One locks the suspension gives it the edge.
    The things about the jedi I like more are: Suspension is superior. It is hard to tell when you left the ground and when you landed. Big drops give you bottomless controlled transition and complete fluid motion. I can ride more controlled at much higher speeds due to the rearward travel.
    Braking is smoother. It sits back and there is no chatter. This caught me by surprise. This also seems to be attributed to the rearward travel.
    The jedi jumps just as well, but may be more flickable due to the low standover hieght.
    I like the zero chain stretch more. I don't have to worry about what gears I'm in. I won't damage anything when the chain is tight and the suspension lengthens. And there is no chain noise. It is almost too silent when you aren't used to it. It adds to the deception that you aren't going as fast as you really are.
    The One is amazing- the best bike I had ridden until I rode the Jedi. The Jedi is just a little unbelieveble. Canfield has acheived something truly remarkable.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I have my One now and just waiting to buid it up, have to wait another month till I get back home. I hope you are joking when you say the One only pedals slightly better than the Jedi. I absolutley love the Jedi for bombing down hills - yes it is very quiet, excellent braking and is fluid through the rough but I think its a pig to pedal on flat sections and while I have attempted to ride up easy fire roads I have always given up after a couple of minutes. I have been waiting for 4 months to have a brand new Vector HLR air repaired so I can see if this could help the pedaling characteristics but the way things are going I expect my One to be complete before the Vector is fixed.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    dont worry about the pedaling bit
    im running a 32T front and 9-34 rear cassette with 160mm fox van fork and CCDB-AIR.

i go out to desert rides with a group of 5" and 6" bikes and on the uphills i keep up to problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Allow me to elaborate a little on my previous post. I didn't want my post to go on too long and wasn't going in too deep about what was already apparent about the One. The one is ridiculous at pedaling. Definitly the best I have ever ridden. I was just making the point that the jedi with a 10 speed 36T rear set up pedals close to the One's 9 speed while it was still in the large ring on the front. There is no comparision when you drop the front chain ring, which I rarely did. The One is also more efficient and less energy consuming on flats and uphills due to the locking suspension regardless of what chain ring you are in. I am trying to point out though that the jedi can also climb quite effectively up steep technical rocky climbs; not a long continuous uphill. In general I think there is a misconseption on DH bikes not being able to climb technical hard climbs. Their amazing suspension actually can be an advantage in giving constant traction especially with how it focuses the riders weight on the rear tire. The jedi pedals very nicely for a DH bike, but burns more energy on a flat section than the one, but not a signficant amount. I love both bikes I wish I could have both. If all I was going to be doing is riding uphill I would get a XC bike, though a One would still be tempting because it is awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This may play into it as well. My Jedi is a pound lighter(38 lbs) than my One(39ish)

mtbr member
    no way i could pedal my Jedi up any hill when sitting.
    or even standing up, just no way [ccdb coil]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine climbs good. Even in the snow,. I rode a xc trail that is flat with quite a few climbs and technical stuff and few DH sections with 4 inches of snow and it wasn't much different than my One. But that is just my experience on it.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I am running loads of LSC on my Elka and my Jedi bobs like a mofo. I am not running so much LSC for pedaling but for better cornering and jumping but man it just drains energy so fast. The only time I would say it pedals well is when it is up to speed and through the chunk. I tried to ride some single track on the way up to the top of the trail and it wasnt even a steep trail but man did it suck energy from my legs. One of the main reasons I bought the One was to have a bike I could pedal up the fireroad since its a long walk and not crazy steep. We also have a long flat section with loads of jumps and its nice to through some pedal strokes in for extra speed or if speed is lost somewhere.
    I love the Jedi but only in the right circumstances. It is a speed machine but I feel it excels on real DH trails.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    when i had the 2008 jedi with elka it was a good peddaling bike in my opinion

not only i set it up to bomb the flats when pedaling, i also used it to commute in the city now and then with no special effort, and it didnt suffer on the downhills at all! just loved it.

now on the 2012 with ccdb coil, its so sweet riding on the downhill tracks but when using it to city riding there is a HUGE difference in peddaling, the 2008 was a better, maybe cause of less travel?

anyways, the ONE is so great, sometimes i think just to get the boxxer from the jedi to the ONE and leave it there, but i DONT want to do it cause it would make me hang my jedi hehe

but when stuff gets serious. Jedi all the way
    for all the other applications, including downhill without bombing the trails i take the ONE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm running the x fusion vector and purposely running a touch heavier spring for my weight (50lbs extra than is recommended) and it pedels good. I had the elka on my One and I could see how it would bob much more than the x fusion. The elka always blew through its travel without much effort, but it had a controled bottom out. I always wished it gave me a more solid mid range on it . As for the ccdb I am not familiar with but maybe it it similar. The x fusion I have now is solid, mid stroke holds its ground better and controls the bob much better making it pedel good. And it is much more smooth and fluid throughout the entire travel soaking up everything with ease. This may be more to do with the jedi suspension, but on bigger drops the bottom out feel is gone. Totally controlled making it feel like endless travel. I pedal my bike everywhere and love it. I am more happy than ever with getting the x fusion. Seems like it is helping me with pedaling proficiency while still giving me rock gobbling happiness.