I'm with stupid

155mm Cranks from the bros

who is using the 155mm cranks? I am tossing around the idea of getting some for my Balance. We have quite a few really steep sit and spin climbs around here. So my thought process is shorter cranks arms will make it easier to spin up the hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    who is using the 155mm cranks? I am tossing around the idea of getting some for my Balance. We have quite a few really steep sit and spin climbs around here. So my thought process is shorter cranks arms will make it easier to spin up the hills.
    155mm Cranks from the bros-c68d98d21b46fcaa17189057f4294b7b.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    What crank lenght are you riding now? I normally use 160mm or 165mm since I have short legs and ride chunky climbs locally. I switch them to 170mm if I'm doing longer climbs when I'm traveling. So i dont loose out on the top end of my gearing. The difference in effort is one tooth chainring or 2 tooth cassette per 5mm. The shorter you get the smaller the chaining or bigger the rear cog needs to get.

I'm with stupid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Go as short as your gears will let you.
    The smaller circles/steps of the shorter crank saves a lot of energy.
    Seems to really double the effect with out of the saddle riding.

The leverage of the longer crank does feel better when in the saddle.
    Saying that- I ride short short short-
    145mm on my DH.
    And 160's on All Mtn.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canfield-Brothers-Downhill-BikesC2-Components/163956136971393"]

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll agree, I only use longer cranks when it's going to be long fire road climbs. I prefer 160 for stand and pedal stuff. You don't have to lean the bike over to peddle, save the knees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I went from XX 170mm SRAM cranks to 155mm Canfield cranks. I'm 5'6 with 29.5 inch inseam. I ride a lot of trails on a Whyte T-130 which has a lower bottom bracket. Its a great bike but I get a lot of peddle strikes especially pedalling uphill over technical terrain. So, I went to the 155 mm cranks from Canfield. Great quality cranks. The first thing I noticed was that I have a lot more power going over technical terrain. Mostly, because I'm not back peddling trying to avoid a peddle strike while trying to power over big roots, rocks, boulders, and fallen trees. So mission accomplished. Lots more power over technical terrain. What else did I notice? I use a lot more of the gears on my 12 speed SRAM X01 cassette. Not a big deal. Lastly, going on fire roads feels a little weird because I have to peddle at a higher cadence. I rarely ride on fire roads except to hit the parking lot. So for me the 155mm cranks work well and were worth the money and time to install them. If you're looking for a variety of higher quality cranks try Canfield. I can speak to their great quality cranks, chain rings, and Crampon mountain pedals.