mtbr member
    Aug 2006

09 vs 12 The One Frame

Can someone detail the differences between these two frames, an 09 that looks to be in good shape is available locally. I've been saving up for a new 2012 but if I can save a few bucks...

and what is the little barrel for just right of the bottom bracket in this pic
    http://images.craigslist.org/5La5Ed5...c11c421c05.jpg

Much Thanks

mtbr member
    I have a '12, which was a crash replacement for a broke '09 (so I've ridden both a fair bit).

The '09 is quite a bit lighter. I believe around 1.5-2# less for the frame. It has a straight 1-1/8" head tube (meaning no angleset or taper steerers) and could only take a 160mm fork. Head angle was steeper than the '12s, BB height I believe is about the same, the thru-axle versions had a 135mm maxle, where the '12s have a 142mm axle that requires allen wrenches to install.

It looks like they re-designed the suspension somewhat on the newer models. Mine feels less... 'bouncy' than my '09 did. It was also much easier to use all the travel on the older one. I have to pound the hell out of my '12 to get the last 0.75" of shock stroke.

I guess the short version is the '09 was kind of a long travel am/trail bike, where the new ones are more of a proper downhill bike (though I ride mine up and down, because that's what I wanted when I got the old one..). The new One is noticably stiffer, and I like the suspension action better. I do notice the weight, but since my old one broke, I suppose it was too light.

That barrel on the BB shell is the FD cable stop. You'll see a bit of a cutout in the lower link so it won't hit the cable as the suspension compresses. The '09 uses a clamp-on, high-clamp, bottom-pull FD, if you run a FD. I used a v-brake noodle rather than have a big loop of housing to the stop.

and of course the best thing, to me about the new Ones: they come in an XL, where in '09 they only went to L.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, that is very helpful info.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The cool thing is the old ONE was limited in how you could set it up, the new ONE is not limited AND even setup for serious DH work, is still an UBER great climber and great trail bike(the only thing needed to make it perfect instead of merely great is to pull in the HA with an angleset or my pick, a VP Varial trail adjustable headset). So you don't even need two sets of forks nor two shocks to do it all. I see people do that but unless you're good enough to be sponsored, you probably won't benefit much from going to single crown, air shock for trail use. I ride dual crown and coil shock for everything and quite prefer it now. That probably wouldnt work on a lesser bike
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Selling my 2011 med One bike or frame for a very low price
    2011 Canfield The One Medium (reduced price limited time) - Pinkbike