Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Xprezo Super D

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    551

    Xprezo Super D

    Anyone have any first hand experience with this frame? I can't find any reviews on it whatsoever. Looks nice, very light...curious how well the rear suspension design works.

  2. #2
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Sorry. I didn't see this thread until just now. I bought a similar model and am actually riding it for trail. I'd go for it. The build quality is awesome. Simple, reliable. See photos of my Gamjam below and a little mini review of it. That SuperD should be great. I'm a really short rider and went for a little extra standover... and slack head angle
    for a DH'esque trailbike. Super D was on my radar though.
    And, despite that I ended up deciding upon a used frame for my first Xprezo (and after getting this one, I'm sure that there will be more) Antoine at Xprezo was phenominal with customer service. Even to the point of giving me a call a couple of times from Canada to the US to answer questions. Not because he was asked, but because that's the kind of follow through that he gives. Great.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02#post8024602

    Photos of it posted further up in the same thread by a riding buddy of mine... AmishMatt

    Despite being "just a single piv", the way that the rear sus design is done with the alu piv. links to the steel rear? Great triangulation to the design and stiffer than the long "Heckler'esque" design of my Sinister Gruitr single pivot. Less twisting I guess I could say. And, the Xprezo design feels more active to me.
    I had a tough time finding things out much like you did. But, they're a smaller, still hand made in North America company. That's a rare thing these days but something that I search out. Do some searches on here, Ridemonkey, Pinkbike, etc. Contact anyone that's posted that has one... even if it's for sale. I think that you'll hear nothing but positives.
    Last edited by Eastcoaster; 05-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16

    super d

    yes wankel, I've ridden one and others built by Xprezo. took a super d on demo at the vermont mtb festival. Took a new Jekyll carbon bike the day before and it didn't compare to how stable and all around fun the super d is. Climbs awesome and descends even better. I was a Cannondale or nothing rider for years..... like 10 years. I liked it so much that conversation lead to me actually working with Xprezo. I am now the rep for New England. Since Bromont, QC is just over the border from VT it was a perfect fit. So, with all that said, if you're interested in more info.... let me know or contact Green Mountain Bikes in Rochester, VT which is our first U.S.A. dealer

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    I see the Xprezo Super D got a really good review in Mountain Bike Action this month.

    For those of you who are familiar with their line up, for rugged BC xc/trail, would you prefer the Wuuu or the Super D? I want something light and simple, yet strong and with a fairly slack head tube for descents. But I'm generally an xc, climber kind of guy despite living near the free-ride capital of the world. Realistically, either bike would probably make me happy and I'd just have to decide whether the 100mm rear, 120mm fork of the Wuuu would be enough for my needs. I probably wouldn't regret the 130/150 of the Super D although it may be a bit overkill for my needs.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

  5. #5
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Buy my Gamjam. Sits right in-between the two that you mentioned.
    115mm rear with a recommended 140mm front travel. Nice and slack for the times that the trail points downhill.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    I would think about the climbing vs DH you will do. WUUU is certainly a better overall XC experience but the Super D is a very efficient machine for the uphill and longer flowing rides and is adds performance DH as well. The WUUU is great all around but if you want a little more DH capable bike and still want to climb and ride for the long days the Super D fits man. There is also a WUUU 29 if you are into 29 inch wheels. If I am correct it's a limited build so some shops have pre ordered them. The Gamjam is a sweet ride as well. also a pretty efficient climber and nice slacked out fork but I don't know if I would call it an all day riding machine as it sounds like you are looking for?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    Buy my Gamjam. Sits right in-between the two that you mentioned.
    115mm rear with a recommended 140mm front travel. Nice and slack for the times that the trail points downhill.
    frame too small and slacker than what I want
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbikes View Post
    I would think about the climbing vs DH you will do. WUUU is certainly a better overall XC experience but the Super D is a very efficient machine for the uphill and longer flowing rides and is adds performance DH as well. The WUUU is great all around but if you want a little more DH capable bike and still want to climb and ride for the long days the Super D fits man. There is also a WUUU 29 if you are into 29 inch wheels. If I am correct it's a limited build so some shops have pre ordered them. The Gamjam is a sweet ride as well. also a pretty efficient climber and nice slacked out fork but I don't know if I would call it an all day riding machine as it sounds like you are looking for?
    How is the rear tire clearance on the WUUU? Can you fit a fairly fat tire back there (say a Nobby Nic 2.4 for example?)
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,602
    I've got several rides in on my Super D and it's getting better and better every ride.

    My bar stem combo was changed from my previous bike so the first couple rides have mostly been getting that and suspension dialed in for fit.

    The bike has a real lively feel to it. It climbs good, I think it will climb a ton better once I get the rear shock set up better. The Pro Pedal switch doesn't feel like it's doing anything, the BV pressure might need to be bumped up. Still fiddling with that.

    Really fun bike so far.


    crappy cell picture.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    really small pressure adjustments will go along way with the Super d. It's very in touch with your adjustments for sure. pro pedal is something some people use and some people don't. I guess it depends on the rider, style, and climb. Sweet bike for sure

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,602
    I'd really like there to be a more positive difference between on and off for the pro pedal.

    Here in North Van it's nice to flip the lever on for climbing in the 3rd setting then flip it off for the descent. Or if it's a more xc ride then just ride the whole trail in setting 1.

    Toying with the idea of switching to a Monarch so that I can be fully self sufficient in shock tuning. Not loving the fact that with the Fox I need to go to the local suspension guru to have them adjust the nitrogen charge for BV pressure.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    Hey shirk, that's a sexy bike. Almost as sexy as the roostoutfitter models. Have you ridden a wuuu before? I find myself trying to determine which would be a better ride for our bc xc. 100mm rear/120mm front sounds like it might be a bit lightweight for our terrain but the head angle is fairly slack for an xc bike (68.5) and I wonder if the steel rear triangle helps make the most out of the 100mm travel. I value climbing and descending equally. Something that would be good for all day epics, bc bike race, nimby 50 etc.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,602
    I have not rode the wuuu, the angles are good for aggressive xc, but for my riding it would be under gunned, thus I went with the Super D.

    I don't have enough riders on it yet to feel if the steel rear triangle is taking the edge off small chatter bumps.

    Can't really answer if it the right bike for you for stuff like BC Bike Race, or Nimby. That is a total of what 8 days of riding? For those events if you are looking to place well a full on proper XC bike is going to be the right tool. But you'll also need the chops to descent on the pinner bikes to keep up with the hammers at the front of the pack. Those guys descent just as fast on a xc bike as they will on a trail bike. Are you going to buy a specific bike just for 8 days of riding.

    I got the Super D as it's the perfect bike for my Fromme riding. Fromme is a 15 minute pedal from my back yard. Eventually I'll add a lighter duty full on XC hardtail (likely 29) and rebuild my heavier FR/DH type bike. So for me the Super D is the perfect in between bike.

    You need to really decide what you want and what you need. You've posted a billion "what if" questions on nsmb. You need to get out and demo all those "what if" bikes and get a better feel on what works for you.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    Thanks. Yeah, I know I'm asking a lot of questions. The evils of the internet I guess.

    Assuming the super d is still a half decent climber, that's probably the way to go. According to Mountain Bike Fiction it is. Frame is still very light and I'm sure I could find a set up that works well for both climbing and descending--without resorting to a travel adjustable fork.

    Maybe I'll see you on a black one, be it a wuuu or a super d.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

  15. #15
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    Hey shirk, that's a sexy bike. Almost as sexy as the roostoutfitter models. Have you ridden a wuuu before? I find myself trying to determine which would be a better ride for our bc xc. 100mm rear/120mm front sounds like it might be a bit lightweight for our terrain but the head angle is fairly slack for an xc bike (68.5) and I wonder if the steel rear triangle helps make the most out of the 100mm travel. I value climbing and descending equally. Something that would be good for all day epics, bc bike race, nimby 50 etc.
    I went from a 5" high piv/single pivot bike (Sinister Gruitr) to my Gamjam at 115mm and ran my fork at 140mm..... Never missed the extra travel that the Sinister offered..... I would describe the Xprezo's travel to be more "seamless" if that makes sense. So, even with less... less was more IMO.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    I've been on the WUUU and the Super d in somewhat similar trail networks here in the North East. Super d in Vermont and WUUU at Bromont after being at the Xprezo factory. The Super d is my favorite for my style of riding and I'm not racing. Super d has the advantage if you want to rip all downhills. But the WUUU with an aggressive rider can still hammer dh but will require a bit more skill. The Gamjam is also a great "in between" size bike. If you can find a local shop I would suggest getting on them. All three of these bikes could work. The Gamjam is the least optimal of these three for climbing.

  17. #17
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbikes View Post
    I've been on the WUUU and the Super d in somewhat similar trail networks here in the North East. Super d in Vermont and WUUU at Bromont after being at the Xprezo factory. The Super d is my favorite for my style of riding and I'm not racing. Super d has the advantage if you want to rip all downhills. But the WUUU with an aggressive rider can still hammer dh but will require a bit more skill. The Gamjam is also a great "in between" size bike. If you can find a local shop I would suggest getting on them. All three of these bikes could work. The Gamjam is the least optimal of these three for climbing.
    ...... but if you want a low slack trailbike that RIPS the downhill sections.... The Gamjam is tough to beat! But, I'd like a Super D as well.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    456
    Thanks guys. Super D is looking like a winner. Better talk to wifey about it. Yikes.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •