No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

What's the exact story with Balfa and...

Thinking of going to a dual sus. rig and I have always loved the 2-Step design. Seems(ed) like the ultimate aggressive XC trailbike to me for my use in PA on the east coast. Almost seems that it was way ahead of it's time. Are they Europe only now? Is what is being sold leftover stock from when they were being mfrd. in Canada?
    Any info appreciated.
    Will they?...Are they back in the US?
    Thanks!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Balfa is dead man!!!!..

Procyle have purchase them some years ago to allow us bigger developpement.....the next year, procycle restructuration have lead to the end of balfa, oryx and another brand of road bike (forget the name).

Now the creators of balfa have created two new brands: appalache cycles and xprezo

http://www.appalachecycles.com/index.html

http://www.xprezo.ca/

conjoinicorned
    it's true balfa is out of business, balfa.co.uk is selling all the old stock.

i have a 2step, a belair, and a minuteman. the 2step is my favorite bike i've ever ridden, hands down. if you find one i say go for it. i have talked to jaime at balfa.co.uk and they have parts and stuff so no worries there (my 2step has taken 3 seasons of serious abuse with no issues.)
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

truth seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i have talked to jaime at balfa.co.uk and they have parts and stuff so no worries there (my 2step has taken 3 seasons of serious abuse with no issues.)
    You may be able to get parts, etc from Balfa UK but it will cost you.

I inquired about a frame decal kit for my BB7 and they wanted more than $50 US, shipped -- for decals!!?*%

conjoinicorned
    $50 shipped, for a decal kit, for a bike from a now defunct bike company (which was tiny and rare enough when they were in business)...sounds like a good deal to me, there's probably 5 of those decal kits left in the world. nothing about balfa was ever cheap, and i dealt with the factory direct...

the 2step is a heavy heavy bike (~10lb frame w/ coil shock) so be careful how you build it if it's gonna be a trail bike. mine is built as FR (z150, fox RC, 2.5" rubber etc.) and weighs 46lbs.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

So...would you still say...

Would you still rec. the 2-Step as a trail brawler? I don't do a bunch of hucking off of 5' plus drops. I don't hesitate at 2-3' stuff though. I guess the kids these days would call it "aggressive XC" here in the woods of eastern Pennsylvania.
    It just looked to me to be a cool trailbike. LOVE the roller in the bottom linkage. Wouldn't you say it was the orig. "Floating link" bike? Not really VPP but, well...
    I currently run a 1 X 9 setup with a Threshold Bashring. But, as you put it, would probably do a front der. and do a granny with the wt. that you describe.

I've just always found that I'm the guy who wants to run wider rubber on the front and rear. My riding buddies thought that I was crazy running 2.3 Conti Survival Pro's FR and R on my steel hardtail...I LOVED it.

Anyway...what do ya' think of it as my choice of a poss. bike to "switch" to full sus.?
    (At LEAST it has a steel rear!)
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

conjoinicorned
    in all seriousness, it's my favorite bike ever. the only downside is it's heavy, so it's gonna cost some $$ to get it lighter. mine sits at 46lbs with a z-150 and DH gear, but even still i don't mind pedaling it around a bit (amazing pedaler!!!)

it'll eat up drops up to any size you like, it climbs good (minus the weight) and is an excellent singletrack/trail bike. the suspension is truly amazing, it's being copied by any number of companies now. for a first FS? well, it's heavy, as long as you remember that you're gonna love it.

mtbr member
    That Xprezo Wuuu looks sweet! A refined Belair.