mtbr member

What's the deal with Appalache cycles?

I heard rumors when they came onto the scene that they'd be making some other frames in addition to the Real. It's been two years and there hasn't been any update on their website. Is this company still around? I know Appalache used to be Balfa, I've been wanting to get one of their frames but I don't really need a full blown dh rig at this point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, in fact Appalache was funded by Jerome the former owner/builder of Balfa a few years after he sold his company to Procycle (Rocky Mountain's parent company).

From what i've heard, the facility were Jerome was crafting Appalache bike get severly damage during a particulary hard canadian winter. For some reason rebuild didn't occur. I don't know if or when Appalache will ever be re-lauch.

However, if you are nostalgic from Balfa maybe you should have a look at xprezo cycles ( www.xprezo.ca ). Xprezo was funded by a close collaborator of Jerome back from the time of Balfa. If you like Balfa/Appalache you should like Xprezo.

conjoinicorned
    xprezo make some beautiful bikes, from DH to road. all the suspension designs are based off of the balfa belair low-forward single pivot, with the classic steel rear/alu front triangles.
    if you don't mind paying the price, you'd certainly get a high quality bike that you'll never see another one on the trail.

as for appalache who knows. they had an incident at their shop as marc25 said. as well, their north american distributor yodobikes has closed down. likely won't see them again at least until the economy picks up....but you never know.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    That is a shame. I was hoping to see some type of updated 2-step frame... Something like 7.5 inches, a 1.5 ht, and good dh geometry. I really liked my Balfa, guess I'll just have to hold my breath.