mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What is up with Appalache Cycles ?

Im thinking about a new frame, and since i love my old Balfa bb7 im looking at the Appalache Real.
    But when i have been surfing the net for information on the frame i came across some sad ****.
    I read on another bike forum (ridemonkey i think) that Jérome wont be making any more bikes. Then i read that balfa.uk would take over the production, however hey could pull that off i dont know.

Anyhow, i have tied mailing Appalache cycles regarding all this ****, but have not recieved a reply.

anyone that have some real facts and information ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No info on Appalache, I heard the same. You may be familiar with Xprezo... the other ex-balfa guy.
    Saw their new dh bike last week at the WC race in Quebec. 8.5" travel, alu front, 4130 rear, single pivot.
    Might be worth checking with them for more info, if you're interested.
    I'd love to find a Real.
    Last edited by highroller; 08-08-2008 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Reply from Balfa.co.uk

On the prowl for more information i emailed Balfa.co.uk.

Here is the reply i got

Hi,

It is true that production of the Appalache frames have slowed. This is mainly due to the rising costs of production.

We are at the moment looking into the possibility of switching production to the UK. This will cement the brands future & will allow us to keep the same pricepoints.

The frames are still coming through but slowly at the moment.

Regards

Balfa UK

So it looks like the Appalache aint dead yet, hope they can come up with some sort of solution. Cause im pretty stoked about getting myself an Appalache for next season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info. Ya, nice to hear they may still be around. Saw a few of them being ridden at Quebec ski hills the past few seasons... looks like they really rip through the rock gardens. Those French Canadians seem to know a thing or two about designing dh bikes.

Woodlot local
    T. Bundy,

I would recommend contacting Wayne Parsons on the BB on www.nsmb.com

He was a rep for Appalache a few years ago and rode a Real for a while. His view on the bike was mixed. Contact him to see if it is the bike you really want. He also had a BB7 so he can give you some real feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks for the input guys.

Btw, i asked around on ridemonkey and got a link to another forum. And over there i stumbled over this thread.

http://www.southerndownhill.com/foru...,137789.0.html

Where would you prefer our frames were made??
    « on: November 28, 2007, 13:03:02 PM »
    Right,

Currently, as many of you know our Appalache frames are handbuilt in Canada. This is great but has led to slow delivery times & long waits.
    We are looking at ways to improve this, especially when we have other frames & components planned shortly.

We have 2 options basically;
    1. Production is moved to the UK. The prices will remain the same but delivery will be quicker plus custom colours, sizes & geometry can be offered

or

2. Production is moved to Taiwan. This will mean set colours, sizes & geometry but the prices could come down slightly.

What do you guys think? I dont want stupid answers, just looking for some decent market research & feedback.

Thanks

Jamie @ Balfa UK
    There is some interesting reading over there. Dont know if you have to be a member to read, let me know if that is the case and i will hook you up with the goodies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Been reading the posts on Ridemonkey... some good info there, thanks.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A kid in my area bought Wayne's bike and ended up breaking the frame I believe...