mtbr member
    Jul 2004

UPDATE!!! OUCH! My ETS-X50 Frame Broke!

I originally posted a thread about my RM ETS-X50 frame breaking. The thread can be seen at:

OUCH! My ETS-X50 broke!

Well, I finally got my frame, an '05, and it took 10 weeks.

The Good Stuff
    I'm very pleased with the look of the frame (haven't ridden it yet, which is covered below in the Bad Stuff). RM has beefed up the area where the ETS-X frames were breaking a ton with quite a bit of gussetting. They also changed the seat-tube diameter from 26.8mm to 27.2mm. The down-tube has been ovalized at the BB end (I think they made this change in '04), which means the frame will not have as much lateral flex.

The Bad Stuff
    Aside from taking forever to get a new frame (I'm glad I waited for an '05 'cause it seems they eliminated the problems of frame breakage), they changed the width of the shock pivot, so my LBS had to call them and ask RM to send the new bushings in order to mount my rear shock. This will tack on another week since the shipment has to clear customs into the U.S.

Also, since RM changed the seat-tube diameter, I have to buy an new seatpost. I called RM and talked to Rob in the warranty department. He said they didn't have anything laying around that would fit that he could give me or I could purchase (yeah, you read it right PURCHASE!). WHAT?!? Why the *^%*^@#% should I have to purchase a new seatpost? I asked him if they had shims to make the old one fit - NOPE! He told me to talk with my LBS and have them call RM and talk to him so they could work out a swap or something. Yeah, like I'll do that so I can wait another 1-2 weeks for the seatpost to arrive. So, I'm stuck with dropping another $80 for a new one so I can ride.

In Summary:
    It took forever to get the new frame, and it's still waiting for the build-up due to the shock mount bushings. But, I'm glad I waited for an '05 'cause they corrected several problems. I'm pissed at RM for not sending the bushings and a new seatpost, cause I hate dropping $$$ for no good reason.

All-in-all, I love the way my RM ETS-X50 rides. Since my frame broke I've had the chance to ride a ton of bikes - Tomac, Litespeed Niota, Specialized FSR, Specialized Epic, Giant NRS and VT, Trek Fuel - and none hold a candle to the RM. It climbs and decends better than any of them. If you're considering buying a RM ETS-X50, I'd get an '05 with no worries.

I'll keep you posted on how she rides!
    Bryce

born again

New question here. Waiting for shock pivot?

Didn't your LBS send out your broken frame with the original rear shock on it? That's what mine did and I got a 2004 with a new Float RL with Pro pedal on it. I thought that was the way a warranty replacement was supposed to be handled, so they could see what shock you were using. Just wondering.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Do you know the weight on the new frame? I got the impression that they added alot of frame material onto the 05 from what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by bphin
    I originally posted a thread about my RM ETS-X50 frame breaking. The thread can be seen at:

OUCH! My ETS-X50 broke!

Well, I finally got my frame, an '05, and it took 10 weeks.

The Good Stuff
    I'm very pleased with the look of the frame (haven't ridden it yet, which is covered below in the Bad Stuff). RM has beefed up the area where the ETS-X frames were breaking a ton with quite a bit of gussetting. They also changed the seat-tube diameter from 26.8mm to 27.2mm. The down-tube has been ovalized at the BB end (I think they made this change in '04), which means the frame will not have as much lateral flex.

The Bad Stuff
    Aside from taking forever to get a new frame (I'm glad I waited for an '05 'cause it seems they eliminated the problems of frame breakage), they changed the width of the shock pivot, so my LBS had to call them and ask RM to send the new bushings in order to mount my rear shock. This will tack on another week since the shipment has to clear customs into the U.S.

Also, since RM changed the seat-tube diameter, I have to buy an new seatpost. I called RM and talked to Rob in the warranty department. He said they didn't have anything laying around that would fit that he could give me or I could purchase (yeah, you read it right PURCHASE!). WHAT?!? Why the *^%*^@#% should I have to purchase a new seatpost? I asked him if they had shims to make the old one fit - NOPE! He told me to talk with my LBS and have them call RM and talk to him so they could work out a swap or something. Yeah, like I'll do that so I can wait another 1-2 weeks for the seatpost to arrive. So, I'm stuck with dropping another $80 for a new one so I can ride.

In Summary:
    It took forever to get the new frame, and it's still waiting for the build-up due to the shock mount bushings. But, I'm glad I waited for an '05 'cause they corrected several problems. I'm pissed at RM for not sending the bushings and a new seatpost, cause I hate dropping $$$ for no good reason.

All-in-all, I love the way my RM ETS-X50 rides. Since my frame broke I've had the chance to ride a ton of bikes - Tomac, Litespeed Niota, Specialized FSR, Specialized Epic, Giant NRS and VT, Trek Fuel - and none hold a candle to the RM. It climbs and decends better than any of them. If you're considering buying a RM ETS-X50, I'd get an '05 with no worries.

I'll keep you posted on how she rides!
    Bryce

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It appears I jumped a day early!

I talked to my LBS last night and it appears the seatpost situation has been rectified by Rob from RM. Rob was proactive and called the shop to get everything straightened out before I posted my reponse yesterday. I just jumped the gun out of frusteration for not having my bike back yet and the thought of having to spend more money to get it back.

So, I'd like to apologize to Rob for my remarks yesterday in this post, and thank him for fixing things. It reaffirms my reasoning for buying a RM and sticking with it.

I learned from my LBS yesterday that RM only deals directly through the shops, and not with individual customers. I understand their stance, they'd probably have half their staff working for the warranty department if they dealt directly with customers.

To answer the other questions, my broken frame wasn't sent back to RM, just photos that my LBS took and sent via email. I believe the new frame was sent with a new rear shock, but it must not have been installed or the bushings would have been correct (I've always seen them with the rear shock installed upon arrival).

I don't believe the '05 frames weigh much more than their predecessors. RM added some gussetting at the seat tube pivot point, which I'll take pictures of and post when I get the bike back. They also ovalized the tubing, which adds minimal material to the tubing, if at all. Even if the frame is a few grams heavier, it will all be worth it to eliminate the possiblity of frame breakage.

I love my ETSX, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll be stoked to hit the trail with it again when I get it back, and I'll post an update to let everyone know how it rides compared to my first one.