Thread: Unknown DeKerf?

mtbr member

Unknown DeKerf?

Was in one of my LBS's here in Vancouver and I saw a DeKerf frame hanging on the wall that I had never seen before!?! It looked like a four bar with an interrupted seat tube and had a coil spring?! I know my DeKerf bikes quite well (I thought) and only know of the Phenomenon as their FS rig? Was this a one off? The dood working behind the counter seemed not to know much (as usual) saying they made LOTS of them. It was interesing to say the least......he said he got it straight from a DeKerf guy. Any thoughts??

Buzz

MCM#45

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    This one? A pic and a little info:

http://www.totalbike.com/web/interbike/2001/dekerf.html

mtbr member

That is the one...

The one I saw was that reddish DeKerf color.....no fancy flames. So it was a 2002 model that never came to be? Or they built a few and then decide it was no good? Do you know anything else about it Craig?

Buzz

MCM#45

Nope, I don't know anything about it, just recalled seeing it on the net.

I'd suggest emailing Chris, he was quick in responding to email when I contacted him about a year ago.

mtbr member

Got my answer...

FYI

Thanks for your apparently keen interest in our products. The frame you saw at Mighty Riders is an '02-'03 model of our Horst link Team DH frame.
    It has 6" of fully active travel and is one of only 6 completed. After Specialized bought the Horst Leitner patents, we were no longer allowed to produce them without paying Specialized(not a chance) licensing fees. I bought 3 of them before I came to work at Dekerf;another one went to Japan, 1 to Germany and I am unaware of the other's location. I sold one to a friend in Ottawa(pictured in your email) and I have 2 here in
    Vancouver,1 of which I have entrusted to Ed at Mighty. If you are interested in purchasing it, the cost is $2 500 with a 6" Sherman and Chris King Steelset. The frames originally sold for $3895(frame only). It is a medium; for riders 5'8" to 6'. It is made of custom Reynolds 853 and
    316 stainless. My friend in Ottawa is just over 6' but has no issues with it.

Which pic did you use in your email, the one from the web page link above?

mtbr member

Yes...

The one from the link you gave me from Interbike 2001....

Buzz

MCM#45

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    FYI

Thanks for your apparently keen interest in our products. The frame you saw at Mighty Riders is an '02-'03 model of our Horst link Team DH frame.
    It has 6" of fully active travel and is one of only 6 completed. After Specialized bought the Horst Leitner patents, we were no longer allowed to produce them without paying Specialized(not a chance) licensing fees. I bought 3 of them before I came to work at Dekerf;another one went to Japan, 1 to Germany and I am unaware of the other's location. I sold one to a friend in Ottawa(pictured in your email) and I have 2 here in
    Vancouver,1 of which I have entrusted to Ed at Mighty. If you are interested in purchasing it, the cost is $2 500 with a 6" Sherman and Chris King Steelset. The frames originally sold for $3895(frame only). It is a medium; for riders 5'8" to 6'. It is made of custom Reynolds 853 and
    316 stainless. My friend in Ottawa is just over 6' but has no issues with it.
    That's be John's... he used to own a shop in ottawa called U.I.C. and moved out to vancouver to take a job at DeKerf. He was a DeKerf dealer for oh, five or six years I think. Actually it was kinda ironic he got a job there given how often he'd had Chris repair his Alpinestars TiMega frame anyways. Least this way, he doesn't have to mail it across the country anymore for fixes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have a 1998 Dekerf catalogue which shows the Team FS. The one in my catalogue looks very very similar to the one with the flame paint.

Catalogue frame specs are: 6" of travel via SuperDelux Shox, rear disc brake mount, bushings at pivots, 69/70 angles. It also says that Chris Colbeck began riding them in 1997 DH circuit.

Me thinks there's more than 6 of these bikes around, but that's just a guess........