mtbr member

Troy headset spcs, replacement

I tried to replace my headset bearings. First, there's about 54 different kinds of headset bearings now. Crazy. The top bearing I got as a replacement, directly from FSA no less, didn't fit. After I tightened the headset down, it wouldn't move! The difference in the stack height between the to headset bearing it came with the replacement was about a millimeter or less. As minimal as this was, it didn't work, so I had to repack my top bearing.

So what gives? What kinda of fu%*ing bearing is it? If the specs from FSA aren't even right, who can you trust?

Has anyone got a King replacement headset? Anyone using a headset other than the stock FSA?

I miss the old days......

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My Troy (frame) came speced with a cane creek "40". The steering was tight, binded, with optimal tension. After talking with CC (awesome service btw!) they had no suggestions. my only option was to use some 440 grit and carefully remove some of the material from bottom the top cap; problem solved and zero issues since. My only peeve is that the lbs couldn't figure this out, used shims (which didn't help), and let me take it without mentioning the issue, if they knew it existed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey woody, I popped open my headset to see what bearings came in there. You're looking for a replacement bearing for an FSA SL headset part# MR042R. BTI# FS-5151.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you want to replace it with something else the measurements are 41.8 x 30.1 x 8 45°/45°

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RosedaleReaper View Post
    My Troy (frame) came speced with a cane creek "40". The steering was tight, binded, with optimal tension. After talking with CC (awesome service btw!) they had no suggestions. my only option was to use some 440 grit and carefully remove some of the material from bottom the top cap; problem solved and zero issues since. My only peeve is that the lbs couldn't figure this out, used shims (which didn't help), and let me take it without mentioning the issue, if they knew it existed.

yes, that's it exactly!! Can u do me a favor, and snap some pics of the "mods" u made to your top cap? Looks like I'll be having to do the same thing eventually.