1946:2006:2066

thoughts on the high flying looney

What's it going to do to the sale of Canadian bikes in the USA?
    Overseas shouldn't be much of a problem.
    But sales to the USA could completely dry up.

Isn't it a Chinese blessing/curse "May you live in interesting times."
    If they decide to dump some of their trillions of USD's times are gonna get real interesting.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Double-metric mtb man
    True enough....but the drop in the GST may help them here. Now if only we could get the stoopid feds to realize that biking is good and to drop some of the taxes so that can be sold on a reasonably similar price point.

I'd love to have a Canadian frame for my build....but I'm not willing to take a $1000 hit to do it when most of the difference is due to taxes.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

1946:2006:2066
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    True enough....but the drop in the GST may help them here. Now if only we could get the stoopid feds to realize that biking is good and to drop some of the taxes so that can be sold on a reasonably similar price point.

I'd love to have a Canadian frame for my build....but I'm not willing to take a $1000 hit to do it when most of the difference is due to taxes.
    Ontario's dropped the PST, but only on bikes less than a $1000.00.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Double-metric mtb man
    It is the federal taxes that are killer....the main reason why a Banshee Rune is $1,760 US and $1,969 Cdn with a DHX Coil shock even with our dollar where it is at.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Not taxes... DUTIES... USA gives better duty rates to taiwan, a major asian partner (both in terms of trade as well as defence issues) than Canada does to Taiwan. Banshee frames are made... in taiwan !

There are only a handful of canadian brands other than boutique ones like DeKerf and True North which actually build frames in canada (rockymtn its just selected full suspension models in 2008 for example) still but all the parts are still coming from overseas and they all have duties applied to them when imported into canada.

The one area where our dollar is really helping consumers and businesses is in fuel costs. Oil and Gasoline are traded internationally in US dollars, and with our money being worth more it costs less for us to buy the stuff. If our dollar was say, at 90 cents US instead of the $1.05-1.10 its been the last few weeks, we'd be seeing pump prices for gasoline about 20-30% higher than they are right now. And those costs get passed onto consumers in higher prices for goods, food, etc as its a BIG country and it costs fuel to move things around.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread