Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

It started as a simple premise...

give a girl who's about 120 pounds, a bike built from spare stuff I don't need (ie, maybe $150 worth of bits if I actually could find a buyer for 'em) that won't weigh more than a third her body weight like her current 1980s Raleigh Matterhorn MTB does. When it evolved into though was a custom painted and decalled (that part alone took over 10 hours of labour) double-butted brazed chromoly Oryx frame built with parts I still didn't really need, but more than double the original budget, and with a significantly different outcome.

The girl (who's 34 and 5'11) NEVER shifts even if her life and knees depends on it, except to occassionally try a different gear for that week... so I built it as a 1x7 (32T ring and 11-30T cassette) and saved all the weight of a front shifter, cable, housing, front derailleur, and a couple extra chainrings. She also doesn't do anymore off-road stuff than fine gravel covered multi-user pathways here in the ottawa area. So some uber-light semi-slicks were the choice for tires, and an Englund Total Air modded Judy fork for suspension duties (only 60mm of travel, but easily set to be plush for her weight, and the other choice was a 5 pound 3" travel coil-fork she'd only get at best 1.5" of travel from at her weight). Since she complains of grease marks on her leg, and risk of damage to tattoos there, she got a envy bashguard which is surprisingly light (95 grams for a 5-bolt compact that'll cover a 32T ring). Since again she doesn't really ever shift, an NOS Shimano 200GS 7speed SIS thumbshifter is perfect. Its cheap (I got a dozen NOS thumbshifters and wishbone shifters for $10 from an ebay auction), 78 grams, has the "phantom" click, and the switch to go from SIS to Friction mode like all older shimano thumbies did. She also wanted her bike named Ghostdog and it to be black and glossy. The clearcoat over the flat black paint solved the glossy, and the custom decals with glow-in-the-dark paint solved the name (as did the glowing wolf painted onto the headtube). The end result is btw, 25.9 Ibs complete as pictured. Oh and she also wanted a computer on her next bike so she could tell not how fast she was going, but how far. She's one of those "I'm going for a short ride, I'll be back later" leave at noon and return at sunset types.

I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

fear this
    Sounds like a lucky girl... someone customizing a ride for anybody as a gift is definitely going to make someone feel special!
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

built up bike

You got any more of those 200gs shifter/brake setups. I'm looking for that very thing

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey DeeEight.
    I've tried a couple times to reply to your private message to me but your mail box is full and won't accept any new ones.
    PM me so I can tell you what I'm looking for
    thanks

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Mailbox is now cleaned out a bit. I wish mtbr allowed more than 50 messages and DIDN"T default set to save a copy in the outbox of every message you send. And to answer the question, I have no front 200GS shifters, I only got backs in the auction, and the I have one 7 speed and one 6 speed ones left.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread