mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Romic shock on my 02 slayer

Hi all! I am looking to upgrade from my Fox Float RL to a romic coil over on my 2002 slayer. Can someone advise me on the shock tha tis needed along with the spring you would recommend for a 190 lb rider that rides aggressivly? Thanks guys (and gals) for your help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can someone please give me a little insight?

Supersonic Garfield
    isn't 6.5*1.5 ?

My buddy rides an 01 Slayer with a romic. 750lb spring. He's 175lbs.

Group Hug Participant

Is this even possible?

I've thought about increasing my travel as well on my 02 Slayer, but haven't found working proof.

As for the 01s, it's a different frame all together. It came with a spring coil to begin with. Before you consider attempting this, look at 02slayer's posts on breakage.

Pop goes the Slayer's pivot bolt!!

I honestly do not think the Slayer is capable. Eventually, somethings going to break.

Keep us posted on your decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    I've thought about increasing my travel as well on my 02 Slayer, but haven't found working proof.

As for the 01s, it's a different frame all together. It came with a spring coil to begin with. Before you consider attempting this, look at 02slayer's posts on breakage.

Pop goes the Slayer's pivot bolt!!

I honestly do not think the Slayer is capable. Eventually, somethings going to break.

Keep us posted on your decision.
    Im not looking to increase my travel at all, I simply want to change from an air shock to a coil over. The frame in the post you mentioned was still the original air shock...I fail to comprehend its purpose. As for the compatibility of a coilover on a slayer frame in 2002 the edge came with one so the slayer must be able to accept one...

Group Hug Participant
    I guess I don't know enough about Romic shocks. I always assumed they were long travel. Another option to think about is getting the RL PUSHED. They'll build to your specs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    I guess I don't know enough about Romic shocks. I always assumed they were long travel. Another option to think about is getting the RL PUSHED. They'll build to your specs.
    Does anyone have experience with getitng your Float RC pushed?

what...?
    Pushing your shock will not get more travel out of it. What you will get is a much better/controlled ride. I had my Float Pushed on my TeamSC and it made a world of difference. OK, I did use it for 4 yrs, but the rebuild was definately worth it. Best $100 I spent on the bike. Call them up first and discuss what you are trying to get out of the bike and they will custom valve it for you.

Group Hug Participant

2 months ago...

I had my RL PUSHED. Here's a post regarding:

PUSHED Slayer Rules!

One thing I have done was add more lbs. than suggested. I had mine built with "aggressive trail riding". It seemed like there was a little too much sag while running 150+ lbs. with my 156 lb. weight with gear. I'm running about 160+ lbs. now in the shock. I can feel the bumps a little more, but I can really crank on the Slayer now. It feels more like an agile XC bike that will handle whatever I throw at it, including an occational 3-4 ft huck.

The Romic will definitely give you more bob if thats what your looking for. Bad for climbing, duh, but good for plushness.

Go for the PUSH. www.pushindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    Does anyone have experience with getitng your Float RC pushed?