Thread: Rock SHOX PIKE

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Rock SHOX PIKE

I have a question. Do you think a Rock Shox Pike would work on a rocky mountain ETSX-30?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's a no go - get the Reba

The Pike is way too much of a fork for an ETSX. It's designed for Enduro-style of riding and far better suited on a Slayer or Switch. The coil version tips the scale at almost 2.5 kg.

Braumeister

mtbr member
    Ditto. The Pike is not meant for the same kind of riding that a ETX was designed for.

Look into some like a Manitou Minute or one of the Foxes with the Inertia valve, assuming you are looking for a fork with some kinda of "motion control" in the Pike.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well the new SC blur 4X has a pike on it and it has the exact same rear travel as the ETSX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yes Matt but that bike is a burly beast designed for 4X (hence the name)..... its not all about matching front and rear travel, its about getting the right fork for the type of riding.

An ETSX is all-mountain but not in the burly kinda sense.. Pikes will be fine (maybe the new Pike Air forks would be best) but have a look at the Rebas as they would probably be a great match with their 80/90-115mm travel...

I do think the Pikes seem to be aimed at a slightly more hardcore market than the ETSX though.... still you could muck about with more confidence and the A-C height means it wont put the geometry out especially on like a 120mm setting.

Oh is it an earlier ETSX meant for 100mm or a later one meant for 125mm??
    keep that in mind when setting up fork height, you wouldn't wanna destroy your warrenty hopes incase something went snap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Naw mine is a 2003 etsx-30. i really want to get a longer travel fork for it but now that you have brought the waranty to my attention maybe it isnt sucha great idea. but if i do get a new fork its gotta be somthing with SPV to match the swinger 3-way air i just installed.