mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rock mountain frame sizing?

I saw a blizzard for sale on ebay. It said that it was 18.5 from center of bb to top of seat tube with ext. of 3 inches on tube. I am not getting if he is saying that the frame is now 21 inches or just 18.5 inches. But in any event I have not rm dealers around me. If I am 5' 10" should I get a 17 inch frame or a 18 inch frame my inseam is 30". In case I ever see a blizzard frame for sale. And please no fresh comments just looking for advice.

1946:2006:2066

go to RM's web site...

RM sizes their bikes by measuring from the center of bottom bracket to top of the seat
    tube. The 3 inches above the top tube is referred to as the top tube drop. If the e-bay post
    is correct, then it is an 18.5" frame with a 3" top tube drop. For more info visit...

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/steel/blizzard.aspx

michael

dispensing truthiness
    An 18.5" Blizzard has a TT length of 22.8" and a stand-over of 30.5" with an 80ish mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

18.5" Blizzard "Effective Top Tube"

I have a 2001 18.5" RM Blizzard and I am 5' 10.5". I could have gone with either the 18.5 or the 19.5 frame at the time. The measurement of 22.8" that Rocky provides is the actual top tube length not the effective top tube. The efective top tube length on the 18.5" frame is 23.5" This is measured from the center of the headset to center of the seatpost when the tape is help parallel to the ground.
    This frame has plenty of standover for a 30" inseam due to its sloping top tube.

keep the shiny side up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    I have a 2001 18.5" RM Blizzard and I am 5' 10.5". I could have gone with either the 18.5 or the 19.5 frame at the time. The measurement of 22.8" that Rocky provides is the actual top tube length not the effective top tube. The efective top tube length on the 18.5" frame is 23.5" This is measured from the center of the headset to center of the seatpost when the tape is help parallel to the ground.
    This frame has plenty of standover for a 30" inseam due to its sloping top tube.
    how can the efective top tube be longer than the actual top tube length?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I might be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    how can the efective top tube be longer than the actual top tube length?
    ...but I thought the effective seat tube measurement is the distance bewteen the seat post and the top of the head tube if a line parallel to the ground is drawn between the two. The actual top tube length is shorter because the top tube intersects the seat tube at a point below parallel to the ground. Turnerbikes.com has a good diagram of this if you click on "Specs" for their 5 Spot.