mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RM Size suggestions please

Goodaye again

Bit of advice on ETSX sizing please. Am about to plonk down some hard earned cash at my LBS.

I'm 5' 9'" and 175 lbs. Current ride is a 02 Jekyll medium - feels about right. Have sat on the ETSX 50 in an 18. Seemed fine. Being a small (Aussie) dealer they dont expect to have a 16.5 on the floor - consequently i cant try one.

Any size advice please. 18 or 16.5. I am mostly a trail rider, occasional smaller drops/jumps on light downhill type tracks.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

cheers, Jawry

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jawry
    Goodaye again

Bit of advice on ETSX sizing please. Am about to plonk down some hard earned cash at my LBS.

I'm 5' 9'" and 175 lbs. Current ride is a 02 Jekyll medium - feels about right. Have sat on the ETSX 50 in an 18. Seemed fine. Being a small (Aussie) dealer they dont expect to have a 16.5 on the floor - consequently i cant try one.

Any size advice please. 18 or 16.5. I am mostly a trail rider, occasional smaller drops/jumps on light downhill type tracks.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

cheers, Jawry

I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. I ride a 17.5" full-suspension Rocky Instinct and a 18" Rocky Vertex hardtail. 16.5" will probably be too small, unless you plan on being a hardcore freerider.
    I find the 18" size great for x-country racing.

old enough to know better

My experience

I'm 5'8". The 16.5 ETSX fits me well for all around riding. The stock riding position of the Rocky is pretty upright compared to the stetched-out position of the Specialized FSR I had previously.

If you plan to use the bike for XC racing, go to the larger size. If you are interested in more technical stuff, then go smaller. I really enjoy the intuitive handling of the bike in technical areas and think fit is key here.

Did the shop let you ride the 18 at all? How did it feel? If you felt stretched out on it, my guess is it might be on the large end for you. Also was the standover height adequate?

Enjoy!

Rich

mtbr member
    May 2004

I'm 5'9" 160lbs

I'm 5'9" 160lbs and I bought the 17" RM Trailhead 2 years ago. It fits well for the medium technical trails I ride.

keep the shiny side up!
    go with the 18". RM's tend to have a shorter top tube than others. i am 5'10" and can comfortably ride an 18" or the 19.5"