mtbr member
    Aug 2004

RM Instinct Suspension

I'm not current on suspension products. Need a some direction.
    Purchased an Instinct approx 6 months ago. Fork is a Sid Race and the rear is supported by a Fox Float RL.
    Not overly impressed with the Sid and how my confidence questions 'when is the front end going to give way in a turn.' And I'm not an overly aggressive rider. Weight is around 215#. Any recommendations for a replacement or is this just mental?
    Also, is it normal for the rear shock's air valve to leak a small amount of oil when adjusting the pressure with a shock pump?
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member

Need a stiffer fork

The SID forks were designed as XC race forks for light weight riders, 150 lbs and under. It is not just a mental thing, this fork is probably flexing so much when cornering that it feels unstable. You need a stiffer fork with larger diameter stanchions and a heavier built slider/brace lowers.

At your weight I would want to replace it with something stiffer like a Fox, if you have the money. A new fork will completely transform your ride!

The shock air valve can release some oil since there is a small amount of oil in the air chamber to keep things lubricated. No big deal.

ups and downs

A Fox RLT will transform your Instinct

A new Fox Float 80 RLT or a used Float 80RLC will completely transform the ride of the Instinct, it perfectly balances the Fox rear shock. You get the same small bump compliance, and the same overall behaviour when you dial it in as the Fox manual says. The best thing is the Fox won't wobble around like a tuning fork in a hammer factory. I weigh around 200 pounds and I tried a SID for a while on my Instinct and quickly found that light forks work best with light people. I switched from a SID to a Marz Z-2 X-Fly to get a burlier fork, and then finally to a Fox Float 80RLT. The Fox fork tracks through rough stuff like a bulldozer, it goes where you point it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the feedback on replacing the SID fork. Also checked out the suspension and clyde forums, and the consensus is Fox. Found a couple < $400 US on Fox Vanilla 100 R and RL closeouts. Any opinion? Probably either will be a tremendous improvement.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member

Great fork...

but it may not be the best fork for your bike. The Vanilla fork basically shares the same damping and such with the Talas. Both give you a non-rsing spring rate as they are compressed and are an wesome fork to ride. However, I don't think you would get the best suspension balance between the back and front of that bike with either the Vanilla or Talas type fork. I believe you want a fork with a rising spring rate to match what the rear suspension is doing to have the bike ride its best. The fox Float would probabaly be better for that bike.

Also the Vanilla has a little extra weight to carry around with the coil and you will most likely need to buy new springs for your rider weight, some additional cost there too.