Thread: RM Element 70

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RM Element 70

Does the bike use bearing or bushing for the rear linkage?

Is this design obsolete?

How much would a 18" weight?

I'm looking for a XC oriented racing bike to supplement my Specialized Enduro.

Looking for Adventure

I have a 2000 Instinct (which is now called 70)

I believe the 2004 model has a new combination of bearings and bushings. My 2000 model has just bushings.

It is a wonderful trail bike, although it has limited travel compared to most freeride oriented bikes these days. It is best classified as a 24 hour or Epic style race bike. My bike is 27lbs, although with special component attention you can bring it down to 25lbs. Rocky's, while not the lightest frames out there, are known for their ability to take abuse. Because of its older design, its rear end is not the most laterally stiff, but it is still very efficient pedalling up hills. However, it is not as efficient as an Epic, Blur, or the new Klein's.

For a race bike, it is a work horse, but not as refined as the newer designs out there like RacerX, Spider, Epic, Sugar, or NRS (yes, the Element is older than these). I would say that the Devinci Moonracer (another well made Canadian bike) is more race worthy than the Element.

Not that the Element is not a good bike, it really is and has super geometry for flying fast in rough and tumble single-track of the northeast. However, lateral stiffness is not as high as it should be for a race bike. I am looking at a RacerX for my future in racing.