customized
    Sep 2003

Rear shock for Instinct

I am about to rebuild my Cloud Nine but I am wondering if there is a better shock out there for my bike. The C9 has always seemed inconsistant. Never leaked, just never could get a constant good feeling from it.

I am looking a swinger 3 way but I hear it's not as good for low leverage designs. My other choices are to get a Float pushed or even a RP3.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Louis

ups and downs

RP3 is a sweet and VERY light shock

I'd give the RP3 a shot, it is very light and the Pro Pedal damping works very well.

chips & bier

I'm using a DT Swiss SSD

It's a little more linear through the most part of its travel, so the bike feels as if it's getting more travel. I'm actually not sure wether that's a bad or a good thing...I don't think the bike feels unbalanced with an 80 mm fork (FYI, my Instinct is '01).

The DT SSD 210L only has lockout and a rebound adjustment, so it's a pretty simple shock. Hoewever, the big issue with the Float I had was the rear reducers would wear at an alarming rate. The DT has spherical eyelets, which seem to fare better.

I'm not sure at all how well a swinger would work. I do know Cube - a German manufacturer - makes an Element-like design with largely similar linkage dimensions but a Hort link. They deliver some bikes with Swingers.

I think an important aspect of your choice should be how much you want to eliminate bobbing and sacrifice small-bump response. I think the RP3 has several different ProPedal settings, which - I'm guessing - is the easy way out because it allows you to turn off the PP function at will.