mtbr member

Question to Chaparral owners

Hi,

I've just been offered a pretty good deal on a 2004 Banshee Chaparral frame and had a few questions.

Being a hardcore XC rider, I have to admit that when it comes to trailbikes, my knowledge is pretty much next to none. However, I'd really like to change that and get into some more agressive XC with some larger drops and possibly some light freeriding. (Living 5 min away from a lift operated terrain park doesn't hurt either.)

My questions are as follows :

I understand that the 2005/2006 is lighter than the 2004 and comes with a better shock. In fact, Speedgoat states that it can actually be built into a sub 30lb trailbike. Is it that much lighter ? Coming from a 20lb hardtail, lightness is always a bonus for me.

The seller is giving an option of going with either a Romic or Fox Vanilla R. I take it that the Romic is the shock to go with ?

Finally, what kind of fork should I be looking at in terms of travel ? Is 150mm a good comprimise ? I'll be using this bike as an all-mountain bike with a minimal amount of jumping and downhill.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Ken.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Get one

I can tell you stright up; I have never seen anyone build a chap under 30 pounds and I think it would be pointless to try. If you want a light freeride bike get an ellsworth or a used Bullit. I have a large 2004 and it weighs around 13.5 pounds just the frame and shock (Romic). In comparison, an SC Bullit weighs I think around 9.5 pounds frame and shock. The 2006 weighs a little bit less but not much. The difference on the 2006 is 1 more inch of travel, lower standover and better shock options. On the 2004 model the shock basement doesn't allow enough room for most shocks with big resevoirs (FOX DHX, 5th Element, ect). The resevoir on some shocks will bottom out on the downtube of the bike. That is why the choices are Romic and Fox Vanilla. That being said, on my LARGE banshee Chaparral, I am able to fit a Manitou Swinger 4-way coil shock which doesn't bottom out on my downtube. I don't know if this shock would fit on the Medium or Small becuase the down tube is higher on those.
    Now, if you choose the Romic option prepare for it to blow in about 1-4 weeks of riding. I have had 4 Romics and all have blown on me. They have a horrible reputation for quality. I would buy the bike with Romic and get a used 4-way swinger then sell the Romic when you get the bike.....that's what I did.

I ride my Chap with a Pike air fork and it balances perfectly. It's around 5.5 inches of travel in the front which works well with 6 or 5 in the rear. I have a Marzocchi 66 7" fork that I put on for DH but most of the freeriding is done with the Pike.

The Chaparral is one of the sickest bikes out there in my opinion, still. Perfect geometry and they pedal like they have an engine. The 2004 gemoetry is almost exactly the same as the SC Nomad and make me wonder where SC got their numbers? I actually think the older pre 2006 paint looks much nicer than the new grey/grey. They have much more Blinginess !

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by konaken
    Hi,

I've just been offered a pretty good deal on a 2004 Banshee Chaparral frame and had a few questions.

Being a hardcore XC rider, I have to admit that when it comes to trailbikes, my knowledge is pretty much next to none. However, I'd really like to change that and get into some more agressive XC with some larger drops and possibly some light freeriding. (Living 5 min away from a lift operated terrain park doesn't hurt either.)

My questions are as follows :

I understand that the 2005/2006 is lighter than the 2004 and comes with a better shock. In fact, Speedgoat states that it can actually be built into a sub 30lb trailbike. Is it that much lighter ? Coming from a 20lb hardtail, lightness is always a bonus for me.

The seller is giving an option of going with either a Romic or Fox Vanilla R. I take it that the Romic is the shock to go with ?

Finally, what kind of fork should I be looking at in terms of travel ? Is 150mm a good comprimise ? I'll be using this bike as an all-mountain bike with a minimal amount of jumping and downhill.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Ken.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler
    . The difference on the 2006 is 1 more inch of travel, lower standover and better shock options. On the 2004 model the shock basement doesn't allow enough room for most shocks with big resevoirs (FOX DHX, 5th Element, ect).
    What about on the 05s? Does the resavoir of a DHX hit the down tube?

%$#$*!
    I had an 04 chaparral. I agree that it's pointless to build it up sub 30lbs. 34-38lbs. is more like it if you match up the parts with the capabilities of the frame.

personally, I think that if you're going mainly ride it all-mountain without much dh and drops than you may be better served by a lighter, less burly frame.

however, you said that you live 5min away from lifts, the chap would be great for that.

I think you should decide what most of your riding will be and if you can accept the weight "penalty" for the room to grow into bigger stunts that the chap will allow.

I'm one of the lucky ones and my romic has been great. I really like the way they work. howevery if you get the vanilla r you can eventually get it Pushed (~$150) and it will definitely outperform the romic.

get something adjustable like a marz66 sl. 170mm for slacker angles for the lift, 150-130mm for all mountain/lght fr.
    but I believe something 150mm is the fork for the bike.