mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Question for Banshee Riders:

As the readers of my previous posts will be aware, I am in the process of searching for a new ride.
    My question is really two-fold: how versatile a ride is the Banshee Chaparral? Is it potentially a suitable "all mountain" type bike, or closer to a strictly freeride machine?
    Secondly, if any of you could advise me where one might find the best deals on a Chaparral complete bike set-up (with the price one might roughly expect to pay), it would be greatly appreciated. I think the Chap. is an awesome looking, rugged piece of gear, but fear it might be out of my price range (+/- $2,000 U.S.).

Thanks in advance for all your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

"

Anyone?

Oh...I'm so ignorant....d'oh!

C'mon guys/girls, I need some help here!

local trails rider
    From what I have read and heard about the Chaparral, the Banshee "freeride trail" classification is pretty accurate: it is not a big hit bomber like the Scream but it is not exactly a XC racer either....

Banshee has the Scirocco HT in the same slot with the Chappy FS and I am happy riding my Scirocco as a "trailbike" (meaning I have a XCish setup but no real interest in racing ).

A lot depends on what parts you put on the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass
    Anyone?

Oh...I'm so ignorant....d'oh!

C'mon guys/girls, I need some help here!
    Hey man
    I`ve 3 friends that own a chap. Great bike, reaaly strong. About the weight it all depends on your built up. One of them has a fox 36 van,and it looks great, but still weights about 40lbs.The most important thing is to know if you have strong legs for climbing.I have the Wraith and to me it`s perfect, except giant drops i can do everything.

mtbr member

Banshee Bottom bracket widths?

Can anyone give me the BB shell width for the morphine and the scirocco?

and I have searched all over the place but can't seem to find a frame weight for the morphine?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Can anyone give me the BB shell width for the morphine and the scirocco?

and I have searched all over the place but can't seem to find a frame weight for the morphine?
    The weight for this frame is around 7 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass
    As the readers of my previous posts will be aware, I am in the process of searching for a new ride.
    My question is really two-fold: how versatile a ride is the Banshee Chaparral? Is it potentially a suitable "all mountain" type bike, or closer to a strictly freeride machine?
    Secondly, if any of you could advise me where one might find the best deals on a Chaparral complete bike set-up (with the price one might roughly expect to pay), it would be greatly appreciated. I think the Chap. is an awesome looking, rugged piece of gear, but fear it might be out of my price range (+/- $2,000 U.S.).

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    I've had a Chap for 2 years now. It's an awesome frame. It is as versatile as you as you build it. You can make it under 40lb, or 55lb. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice xc, but if you want to do some trail riding and stunts without going huge, it's great and it will take the abuse. I pedal mine everywhere. Yeah, it's harder to pedal, but that gives me more reason to shape up. Mine's '04 frame and has a crappy rear tire clearance and the softest der. hanger I've come across. For a frame that's built like a tank, I can't go beyond 2.35. I was told by people at Banshee that new models have better clearance, not to mention '06 jumped to 7" travel.
    I think Cambria had them for around $800, PricePoint is now at 900. Put a 888 on it, that's now on sale (2005) or 66 and you can build a descent bike within your price range.

Mow
    mtbr member
    oops...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice bike but if your after more of a all mountain light free ride bike that is not to heavy why not go for a
    - Cove g-spot (have one myself love it)
    - Santa cruz nomad
    - Turner 5 spot/ six pack

all the above bikes can be built in the mid 30's and still strong enough to take plenty of abuse. Took me ages to decide was looking at 8" bikes but decided on a strong 6" bike that will handle most stuff apart fom the extreme

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The 2006 Chaparral is more of a freeride machine with the geometry of the Scream but in a lighter package....approx 37 - 43lbs depending of build and fork.

For the price range you are talking about I would look into the 2006 Wraith, it retails for around $2350 usd and has All-mountain geometry and comes with good valu oriented parts and a high performance frame.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    For the price range you are talking about I would look into the 2006 Wraith, it retails for around $2350 usd and has All-mountain geometry and comes with good valu oriented parts and a high performance frame.

Hey bass. Here`s mine. Really strong, a lot lighter than the chap.I`m sure I can`t take big drops, as a chap does but for all mountain I really think the wraith it`s a better choice.And ripping single tracks it`s amazing how agile it is,really fast bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    that's a nice Wraith - looks better than the one in the catalogue

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/935356/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/935368/

Banshee Chaparral was good for AM/FR even DH
    and Norco Six was good for AM/FR and chap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atsunD
    that's a nice Wraith - looks better than the one in the catalogue

Thanks atsunD. I only bough the frame, from a friend of mine last jannuary, so all the components are direrent from the catalogue.