Dirt smooch
    Jun 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Question about buying konda/Rocky/Norco

I am pretty new to biking, but when I get some money I want to get a hardtail dirt jumper/park rider. I would love to get a Kona, but my friend says their frames are weak as hell, is this true? I have my doubts. Either that or get a Norco, or a rocky mountain, which do you guys think I should go with???

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by qgentry87
    I am pretty new to biking, but when I get some money I want to get a hardtail dirt jumper/park rider. I would love to get a Kona, but my friend says their frames are weak as hell, is this true? I have my doubts. Either that or get a Norco, or a rocky mountain, which do you guys think I should go with???
    riding any XC hardtails out of intended use will easily break any frame

just personal observations
    Kona Cowan/Stuff frames I've seen-a-plenty and they can survive a lot of abuse. A lot.

Norco makes solid bikes, but the shore HT's geometry doesn't excite me, and the 250 is too flashy

I've seen Rocky Mountain warranty a lot of frames, there's no hassle, but their frames seem to break a lot more than anyone else's

The Banshee Sirocco is a great design, but harder to find than most, and Brodie makes a few good HT frames as well

Currently I'm riding an 05 Brodie Holeshot and I am having a ton of fun with it while my full susser is in repair. it sprints well and is burly enough for me to jump on

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Id say Norco. The one25 looks like a pretty solid bike.

mtbr member
    i'm still riding an 03 norco 1hun, which is pretty close to what the 125 or 250 is. i love it, and it's as strong as ever.

kona hardtails are fine.

i would ride some bikes and get the one you like most. don't worry about strength, if you're a new rider you're not going to be casing 30 foot gaps anytime soon.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    i'm still riding an 03 norco 1hun, which is pretty close to what the 125 or 250 is. i love it, and it's as strong as ever.

kona hardtails are fine.

i would ride some bikes and get the one you like most. don't worry about strength, if you're a new rider you're not going to be casing 30 foot gaps anytime soon.

it's surprising how much damage can happen from casing 4 ft

Dirt smooch
    Jun 2007
    indeed, I have been thinking it through, I live around the BC forests and I really like riding logging roads and in the bush trails, and I am NOT advanced at all, and I am beginning to think, since I am a beginner should I not just slightly upgrade my GT Palomar to where it can handle some small drops and tackle some little jumps? I sure like the feel of riding it around town, and I am learning to catwalk/endo better on it, it makes me smile riding it, would a lower cost bike such as this still be able to take beginner abuse if slightly beefed??? I dont exactly want a dirtjumper, just a good 'all around bike'
    [SIZE="4"]Your friendly neighbourhood newb![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    it's surprising how much damage can happen from casing 4 ft
    haha yeah, that's true too

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    "casing" isn't a defect covered by the warranty unfortunetly for most brands.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought my Kona Shred about a month ago, and I've been riding it almost every day. I bought it was because I wanted something that could withstand a bit of abuse, something that I could mess around with and jump around with. I wanted a bike that could also handle riding on trails with my other friends who prefer XC. Realistically, I don't see myself hucking it off any huge huge drops in the near future, so the Shred is perfect for my needs. I can still mess around with it on Campus, and it turns a couple of heads whenever I go riding.

I'm not sure what the Rocky Mountain Flows are like, or the Specialized P series (if you've been looking at those as well)... I like the looks of Brodie's bikes, but there aren't any dealers near me.

In my opinion, the Shred/Scrap/Cowan are all cool for riding trails, messing around, and playing around in the streets/urban places. If you're looking into more of an urban/park bike, I know there's a lot of talk about Giant's STPs. You should check out the DJ/Urban thread for those discussions.

Hope my comment helped a lil or shed some light, you can message me about my bike if you'd like

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by qgentry87
    indeed, I have been thinking it through, I live around the BC forests and I really like riding logging roads and in the bush trails, and I am NOT advanced at all, and I am beginning to think, since I am a beginner should I not just slightly upgrade my GT Palomar to where it can handle some small drops and tackle some little jumps? I sure like the feel of riding it around town, and I am learning to catwalk/endo better on it, it makes me smile riding it, would a lower cost bike such as this still be able to take beginner abuse if slightly beefed??? I dont exactly want a dirtjumper, just a good 'all around bike'

I just pulled up a google-search and looked at an 05 Palomar.

it does have a burly triple-triangle frame, but overall, it's spec'd out pretty lightly. Upgrading a bike can be the most costly way of going about building a better rig. Retail bike parts carry an insane premium, then you must factor labour for install on those parts too.

I would keep the GT as it is, and use it how you've been. A fork upgrade, new wheels, hub, tread, and a crankset once yours crumbles -- You can have a second short-travel AM thrash rig like the 2 brodies I PM'd you

Dirt smooch
    Jun 2007
    thanks! I think I will just ride it like you say to, and replace as things break till I can get a better bike, been looking at brodie brat/kona shred, both are cheap, have strong frames (or so I hear!) I love the looks of them and would be totally happy with those companies, but do you think I could use them as hardtail xc bikes if I raised the seat, threw on some xc tires???? Plus they can take a better beating than an xc bike im sure... and good for jumps...did I mention dirt cheap?lol, and I have decided against full sus to build my skills better, and I like the thought of less things to break, and less weight/moving parts....
    [SIZE="4"]Your friendly neighbourhood newb![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    this bike aint canadian but can be easily used for dirt jumping:

Spesh Hardrock

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeMaple
    this bike aint canadian but can be easily used for dirt jumping:

Spesh Hardrock
    That's ok... technically neither are any of the others mentioned... Norcos and Kona's are ALL made in taiwan, as are banshee and brodie, and every rocky hardtail is also made in taiwan.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To whose specification?