mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Please help me identify this bike

Hi, hope some of you can help...
    Just picked this up for my girlfriend.
    Don't know much about Oryx, and pictures of the same model on the net have a different frame geometry. Does anyone know more about this bike?
    Thanks in advance.

J

dreaming of bottlerockets
    2002 or earlier Oryx Desert Dueler. I have an '04. They added an extra gusset at the seat tube/top tube junction in either '03 or '04. I think they were welded in Quebec.

The '04s had small, medium, and medium-long geometry. Don't know about the earlier ones. You see mostly mediums and medium-longs. The smalls had a ridiculously short seat tube.

Oryx was bought at the same time as Rocky Mountain, and subsequently was eliminated as a brand.

It's a 4130 chromoly frame so it's tough as nails, but not very forgiving (or light) because it's a freeride/jump bike.

Before the extra gusset I think they had problems breaking where the seatstay meets the top tube. The redesign fixed this. Your girlfriend won't break it unless she likes to huck d0rps to flat.

The models went from 11 up to 99, and then HC. Higher number = better parts. I think the frames were identical each year.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Some of excel's responses were correct, others WAY off...

Oryx was a brand owned/operated by Procycle YEARS before they bought Rocky Mountain Bicycles in 1997. After the 2004 model year Procycle decided to discontinue some of their premium brand lines to focus capitol costs (ie, they were losing money trying to hold market share in canada with FIVE brands sold thru LBSs). So Oryx, Mikado and Balfa all got the boot. Miele got capped at models around the $800 price point and Rocky Mountain got a bunch of things taken from the Oryx and Mikado lines (such as the custom paint program for ordering road bikes for your teams and individual riders, which is something Oryx had done, as well as the Oryx race team which at the time included Marie-Helene Premont).

That gunmetal blue desert dueller in the picture is the 99 level, from 2002. The sizes were SM and ML only... and the only difference between them was the ML got a half inch longer toptube. The major change from 2002 to 2003 was the frame went from vertical to rear-entry dropouts, the toptube/seatstays junction to the seattube changed, and the weight went up (the 2002 was about 7 pounds, the 2003 about 7.4 as I recall). The 2005 model which was never to see the light of day, was aluminium. I work at a procycle dealer part-time and I saw one of the frames they sent us for a warranty replacement of a cracked crmo DD frame (and many did crack) and it was this matte black aluminium frame. Basically they took the RM Flow and slapped Oryx decals and paint on it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Never knew about the earlier history of Oryx - thanks DeeEight. I actually found catalogs for Oryx going back to 2002 at the Wayback Machine http://www.archive.org

You have to check the 2004 version of the site, and when you click your way to a bike model check the left hand menu for PDF's of the brochures. Sometimes the link doesn't work, or the file is corrupted, but if you're persistent or try a different archive date it will eventually work.

They even had a dedicated 29'er one year.

If anyone really wants to see the catalogs and can't get the archive to work, I can upload them somewhere.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yep, in 2001 and 2002... the Raid 29er... but the market wasn't there for them yet so the model flopped.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    a little off topic. could i put a 170mm DC travel fork on a 66 spitfire?
    thanks