Still lost

Oryx Spitfire vs. Hurricane

So I don't see much press about Oryx but from what little information I have gathered they appear to be well made bikes. Both the Hurricane and Spitfire seem to be good all mountain / free ride bikes, depending on which you will do more of. Any thoughts out there on these rides?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Well the spitfire is made by giant and is basically a variant of the AC. Haven't figured out who makes the hurricane but its likely the same company that made the gemsbok (which the hurricane is the replacement model for) and who's website I've looked at in the past. I'm about to build up a 2003 Spitfire 33 frame in a couple days for a friend (he's a bike whore and this's years upgrade is the oryx, from the K2 Attack he's on now). Only major difference between a spitfire and an AC is the alloy for the tubing (plain gauge 7005T6 with convention external gussets for oryx, hydroformed double-butted aluxx SL 6061T6 with intergrated gussets, forged headtube for giant), the seatpost diameter (31.6 for oryx, 30.8 for giant) and the headset type (regular for oryx, zero stack for giant). Oh and the oryx is adjustable for 4, 5 or 6" while the current ACs are only adjustable for 5.5" or 6.5". Basically what that amounts to is the original (AC) is a lighter/better featured frame with different travel options.

T.Dot Represent
    i inspected thatbike, and for the money, dont buy it. save up and buy a norco or another frame. if u look closely to either frame, the curve in the seat tube makes it weaker, also they arent exactly specced properly for the choice, and an FSR system is best.

try to see if u can get an 03 norco atomik, it is the smae price and similarly specced, trust me thats what i did and im very glad with my purchase!
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

Still lost
    so now I'm confused...and am close to pulling the trigger on a purchase so can you some additional insight. I believe the curved seattube has been addressed in the 04 version, it is straight (and the version I am considering). Should I look at the Oryx or another brand?

there's nothing wrong with a curved seattube. It just limits how low you can go with the saddle height.

T.Dot Represent
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    there's nothing wrong with a curved seattube. It just limits how low you can go with the saddle height.
    i disagree, it does weken it, why do u think that u never see PRO freeriders on acs or 03 oryxs and on kona stinkys? its the same design just strounger.

which model of spitfire were u gunna buy?

dot go lower then the 66, cuz then ur gunna have to upgrade to more durable components. these componets are the fork and shock for sure... i dont know about the rest, otherwise they look like decent bikes! where abouts in canada do u live cuz if ur in Vancouver or BC im sure u could get a good deal on a RM or norco, ilive in toronto

Still lost

04 Spitfire has straight seet post

so the 04 spitfire has a straight seatpost which should take care of any issues relating the curved seat post. Aside from that, are there any other considerations about the spitfire worth noting against other frames? I was looking at Norco frames as well and saw the fluid. It uses the same type of material 7005 aluminum as the spitfire but uses the specialized FSR system. Although it does way nearly a pound and a half more. Any thoughts?

T.Dot Represent
    ok how much do u want to spend?
    what r u going to be dong on this bike?
    how much travle is enough?
    ... etc

Still lost
    I would like to get the frame under $1000US. Most of my riding is a combo of freeriding and cross country, what has become known as trail riding. I'm on an Enduro right now, but the frame is too big. I like the idea of adjustable travel, with something in the 5+ range on the top end.

Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    i disagree, it does weken it, why do u think that u never see PRO freeriders on acs or 03 oryxs and on kona stinkys? its the same design just strounger.
    DUH stupid...because the pro's that get seen, are getting the best of the best for DH/Freeriding, and aren't going to be using last years goods, or bikes with only 6.5" of rear travel. I can't believe anyone is so lacking in common sense to start a statement with "why do you think u never see PRO freeriders...".

T.Dot Represent
    first of **** you! how am i stupid, look in a copy of Flow u see riders like colin Mcrae *sp riding a Joker when he could be riding a dare... hes sponsored by ellsworth and hes ridng a joker... look at mike wilson, he is riding a god damn hardtail now!... therse riders ride those short travel(or no travel) frames because they are durable and take abuse. only a F**Kin retard would say that a pro frerider only rides long travel bikes. i said that i ahvent seen any pro freeriders on AC'S. i have seen racers on them but not free riders and since giant doesnt really have any pro freeriders ... i rest my case

as for the oryx i would say go for it. it looks like a great design since it has all straight gage tubing...unlike the ac... im not dissing it i juts think that the AC is an out dated design and i would also like to ask u why do u think they changed it to straight gauge this year not curved like las year? BECAUSE THEY FOUND A FLAW!!!!

First off... Giant still uses a curved seattube, so its not a flaw. LOTS of bikes have used curved seattubes. The Kona Stab Primo, THE TOP MODEL FRAME has a curved seattube. (and if you don't know who their pro's are and why they're riding a stab primo you're truly clueless).

The reason against them, and the ONLY reason, is limited range of seatpost height adjustment, made worse in the case of the Oryx as the linkage pivot thru the actual seattube above the point of the curvature. Between the minimum safe seatpost engagement point (below the toptube junction) and the pivot was just over 1" of distance. Even a telescoping seatpost doesn't do much extra in that case. The 2004 Oryx put the linkage pivot on a seperate gusset plate mounted forward of the seattube. If you had even the slightest grasp of actual frame design loads or material properties I might not think you're an idiot.

Second, Ellsworth frames are fragile...period. The fact that one of their sponsored riders picked a singlepivot beam model over their multi-pivot 4-bars is not at all, surprising to me.