mtbr member
    Sep 2004

old man needs a new bike

Hi,

Just came back from Vancouver, and now realize what is possible.

What is not possible, is my old tired body doing much more on the trusty RM Blizzard..esp. the nuttiness seen on the north shore.

Picking between theRM ETSX 70 (or 90) or the Slayer 70 with an eye on the Kona Dawg Primo.

However I'm not in Vancouver, I live in Eastern Ontario, and ride solo tight singletrack made for hikers or 4 -wheelers No big climbs or downhills...just constant up and down through the rocks and roots.

Any opinions in between the models for an old guy who plans on riding this bike into his mid forties.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

etsx is for you

I find that my etsx30 excels in the rocky root infested east coast. Shift into a high gear and pedal, you'll be amazed what this frame will track through.

I've ridden with guys on Fuels, Sugars, Blurs, plus some random hardtails, once the trail gets knarly they can't keep up. I'm not that great of a rider, therefore, it MUST be the bike.

btw, I no offense to owners above mentioned bikes, especially SC Blurs, they are sweet. My buddy with a Blur must be a big puss.
    cannondale flash 29er
    rocky mountain etsx-30 (retired)
    trek madone

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK - I'm late to the game on this but '03 Slayer does really well. Not as light as the ETSX (at least I don't think it is anyway) but the ride quality is really sweet. The 03 is about what a Slayer 50 is now. Handles well and in spite of the fact that it isn't a super light-weight, it climbs really well. I'm in the Cascades, climbing we know ... Mostly single track with roots and decaying fire roads where you ride he crown for the most part.

I haven't ridden many other FS bikes, I moved from a Kona hardtail a whil back as the ride wa just punishing me. I'm 50 and in not great condition esp compared with the pup's I ride with.

The three other bikes I was realy impressed with were the C-Dale Jekyll 1000, Intense Tracer and the Yeti 575. I almost bought the C-Dale and then got cold feet over the 'proprietary nature' of the lefty fork & frame. If the store where I rode the Tracer had a large, I'd have bought it the day I rode it, at 6' I'm just a smidge big for a MED. The Yeti is right there with the Tracer in terms of handling. Getting a Yeti at the time I tried to was going to be a long wait. I found the RM used, pulled the trigger after a ride and haven't looked back. It's worth a ride IMO.

RMG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falstaff
    Any opinions in between the models for an old guy who plans on riding this bike into his mid forties.....
    My only opinion is that you should plan to be riding until your mid 90's!! Never stop riding!

LBS Manager

Etsx

I also live in ontario and my etsx is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. I cant wait to get it back from rocky mountains warenty dept. For short techy climbs and rolling single trak it is incredible it makes rock gardens seem easier and it is a good balance between light weight and strong.
    John.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well kinda a sad ending

Hi everyone,

pretty excited about my new bike - unfortunately when I got to my fav bike store the RM's just did not fit me (looking mainly at the slayer) - the 16.5 was too small, and the 18.5, a little big....so I now own a medium cannondale jekyll.

I it gives me as half as much pleasure through the next ten years as my blizzard has, I'll be happy.....

Born of Fire
    Hi everyone,

pretty excited about my new bike - unfortunately when I got to my fav bike store the RM's just did not fit me (looking mainly at the slayer) - the 16.5 was too small, and the 18.5, a little big....so I now own a medium cannondale jekyll.

I it gives me as half as much pleasure through the next ten years as my blizzard has, I'll be happy.....
    I'm sorry to hear you bought a Crackenfail.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,

Cannondales are great bikes. Yes, they use proprietary technology, but the lefty fork is the stiffest among all the forks out there. They are also very plush, and fairly reliable.

I almost bought a Cannondale before I went with my RM Instinct.

Cheers

Ming