mtbr member

norco team issue steel hardtail, info needed!!!!!!

i just pick up one of these through the classifieds on this site. its made of ritchey prestige tubing. who can tell me more about this bike, info is very scarce and the bike seems to be pretty rare, one of the reasons i purchased it.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

what da dilly-yo?

i mean this IS the canadian bike forum, someone out there has to know SOMETHING about this bike!!!!!!!!! . i know LT/FS is all the rage these days, but try to think back to a simplier time, when steel and coil -n- oil were all you needed to tame the trails .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

ups and downs
    Norco had a Ti Team Issue 2000 and 2001, then 2002 then went with an aluminium frame, so your CrMo frame is likely a 1999 or earlier. You can send Norco an email and ask them.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2000bikes/teamti.htm

http://www.norco.com/bikes/teamti.htm

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2002bikes/teamxc.htm

http://www.norco.com/05/contactus.php

mtbr member

damn, damn, DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

no love for old skool canadian steel eh?
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I remember the bikes - hell of a deal for a nice frame at the time.

Mind you, NORCO, at that time, was still in the recovery stages from their days as, shall we say, less-than-cool, due to their large number of canadian tire level bikes. Since those days they have much improved, and those old team bikes were a shining example.

I think they would have been decidedly more popular at the time had NORCO branded them differently....

just my two cents.

mtbr member

well, i got the bike...

and itvrides great!, ill post a full review once ive rode it for a while.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    What info are you looking for? I have a some geometry as I was looking at one at a LBS, but by the time I got it, the size I need had sold.

mtbr member

the geometry info would...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    What info are you looking for? I have a some geometry as I was looking at one at a LBS, but by the time I got it, the size I need had sold.
    help. the bike fits me very well but it would still be good to know.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Depends on the year.

2001 Geometry
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/xc_geometry.htm

For the 2000 model, this is the info I got from Norco for the 20" size.

S 510/20"
    Tt 588/23.2
    Ttt 612/24.1
    Ht 145/5.7
    Rc 425/16.7
    Fc 661/26.0
    Wb 1083/42.6
    Ff 437/17.2
    Bb 305/12
    Ha 71
    Sa 72.5
    So 778/30.6

For the 22" size, these are the differences:

Tt-610/24.0
    Ttt-630/24.8
    Ht-166/6.5
    Fc-680/26.8
    Wb-1104/43.5
    So-818/32.2

This info is for the 2000 frames from the LBS that had them for sale:

Model Norco Team 853
    Material Reynolds 853, Cr-Mo
    Size 20" & 22"
    Color Black
    Seat Post 27.0mm
    Headset 1" 1/8
    Bottom Bracket 68/113

This is the thread I started when I was trying to find out info on the frame:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1020#poststop

Have fun with the new bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Is it the ti-colored bike, with Ritchey WCS tubing and Ritchey rear dropouts? Congratulations, it is quite an old bike, probably '95 or '96. I think '97 was the year they moved to 853 for the team issue. The Ritchey ones were way nicer, in my opinion. The rear triangle has very elegant s-bend seatstays, whereas the Reynolds bikes had awful z-bend seatstays - it looked terrible.

You lucky dog, for steel mtbs, that has to be pretty close to the perfect bike. Take good care of it.

The team ti bike from norco is also super nice.

Alan

mtbr member

Thats My Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alinsley
    Is it the ti-colored bike, with Ritchey WCS tubing and Ritchey rear dropouts? Congratulations, it is quite an old bike, probably '95 or '96. I think '97 was the year they moved to 853 for the team issue. The Ritchey ones were way nicer, in my opinion. The rear triangle has very elegant s-bend seatstays, whereas the Reynolds bikes had awful z-bend seatstays - it looked terrible.

You lucky dog, for steel mtbs, that has to be pretty close to the perfect bike. Take good care of it.

The team ti bike from norco is also super nice.

Alan
    FINALLY! someone knows my bike. its hard to believe its that old, the guy i bought it from kept it in great shape. there's only a couple of scratches on it. the paint is extremely durable. this bike is, like you said, just about perfect. i took it up to Mass to ride the super rocky new england trails. i spent 3hrs carving up tight,technical,rocky and rooty singletrack, and the bike rode like a dream, its hard to imagine a better handling bike. technical climbs, downhills, you name it, this bike handles it . im soooo happy with the ride quality and handling of this bike.thank you so much for helping me identify this sweet riding, old skool classic.
    Last edited by edouble; 10-07-2005 at 03:52 PM. Reason: to add comment
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I also have one of these seemingly rare Team Issues from Norco. I think that mine is a 95. Originally it was as sort of silver colour with black decals. I only bought it as a frame, but I know it came with blue BICI hubs, blue diacomp aheadset, a Marzocchi xc 500. Im not sure the rest of the spec but if you have the complete bike maybe you could enlighten me as to the rest. I would like to get this back similar to original spec.

Cheers,

Will

mtbr member

though i bought mines used...

Quote Originally Posted by ficnerbike
    I also have one of these seemingly rare Team Issues from Norco. I think that mine is a 95. Originally it was as sort of silver colour with black decals. I only bought it as a frame, but I know it came with blue BICI hubs, blue diacomp aheadset, a Marzocchi xc 500. Im not sure the rest of the spec but if you have the complete bike maybe you could enlighten me as to the rest. I would like to get this back similar to original spec.

Cheers,

Will
    it was not original spec. mines came with a tomac flat bar, manitou mars elite fork, lx shifters, levers deore brakes and hollow-tech crank, ryhno-lite wheels and fire xc tires. ive changed to titec hellion ti risers avid arch supreme brakes w/ speed dial levers, sram 9.0sl drivetrain, syncros stem and post, xtr crank, manitou black fork, and mavic x618's w/ specialized stout hubs and klein death grip 2.35's using stans . mines is a silverish / ti looking color but with white decals that are somehow still on, as is the norco chainstay protector. also there are very few scratches in the paint. i dont know who or how they painted this bike but its super durable.
    mines also has a cambria bicycle outfitters sticker on it, so it was probably purchased as a close out frame.
    tell me, is yours also made from Ritchey's tange prestige tubing, with the sweet, compliant s-bend stays?. as old as my bike is, it rides better than my custom curtlo. it hurts me to admit that, but its true. the ride quality is amazing, the guy i bought it from would not budge on the price ($700) because the ride quality had him so convinced of its value. after getting the bike and riding it i feel like i got a steal. it handles rocky, rooty technical trails amazingly well and just flies on the smooth stuff. in fact this is my "technical rides" bike. also, im 6ft 2in and 250 lbs and have no flex issue's at all with this bike. simply a hidden gem in the world of mountain bikes, enjoy yours, i know i am !!!!!.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just got my hands on these original specs...the 95 and 96 frames were identical other than colour.
    Frame was: Ritchey W.C.S superlight 34.9 downtube, Ritchey W.C.S superlight 31.8 top tube, Tange Prestige convept outerbutted/ovalized seat tube28.6. Double butted triple tapered s-bend stays, single butted chainstays, and lost wax ritchey dropouts. Claimed weight 1850 grams. If you need more detailed specs send me a PM.

Cheers,

Will
    Last edited by ficnerbike; 01-12-2006 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There's actually a pretty much stock one in the bike cage I use at work. Some lucky soul is commuting on it. It is MINT - they must be a new commuter.

XC 500 fork
    A lot of Dia-Compe parts - levers, brakes, headset
    The stem has been changed, but as it is a norco it certainly had Axiom (Norco House Brand) parts on it. I have an Axiom Ti stem for sale if anybody is interested. Axiom Bar, Seatpost and probably a Selle Italia TT saddle were stock. Grip Shift X-ray shifters. Quite possibly race face turbine cranks, but I can't remember for sure. Blue BICI hubs laced to sun rims, with panaracer tires, probably those white ones were stock. XT derailleurs, possibly an XTR rear. 8 speed. Standard clipless pedals, or possibly shimano 747s.

The Dia Compe brakes and levers were nasty - best was to upgrade to xtr v's. The tires were another good upgrade. The rest of it was pretty standard stuff.

mtbr member

im interested...

Quote Originally Posted by alinsley
    There's actually a pretty much stock one in the bike cage I use at work. Some lucky soul is commuting on it. It is MINT - they must be a new commuter.

XC 500 fork
    A lot of Dia-Compe parts - levers, brakes, headset
    The stem has been changed, but as it is a norco it certainly had Axiom (Norco House Brand) parts on it. I have an Axiom Ti stem for sale if anybody is interested. Axiom Bar, Seatpost and probably a Selle Italia TT saddle were stock. Grip Shift X-ray shifters. Quite possibly race face turbine cranks, but I can't remember for sure. Blue BICI hubs laced to sun rims, with panaracer tires, probably those white ones were stock. XT derailleurs, possibly an XTR rear. 8 speed. Standard clipless pedals, or possibly shimano 747s.

The Dia Compe brakes and levers were nasty - best was to upgrade to xtr v's. The tires were another good upgrade. The rest of it was pretty standard stuff.
    in the stem. how long and what deg. of rise?, oh please say 120mm and 0-5 deg rise!.
    on a different note, i took my norco out in 23 deg (9 w/the windchill factor) weather this weekend in Mass. immediately put a smile on my face the minute i through a leg over it and clipped in !. ive been riding my new soma 29er so was worried that i might not enjoy the 26in wheels the same. the norco fits and rides so good i forgot all about 26 vs 29 and just rode . in fact, i rode until my v-brakes and gatorade froze , and loved every minute of it , yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!. the team issue is a phenominal bike.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh what I would give for those Hubs!!!!....Ive been trying to track down a set to no avail. I have a blue Machine tech (which is similar) but no rear. If he wants to sell the wheels, or trade to something more modern I would be soooo interested.

Cheers,

Will

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

1996 Norco Team Issue Specs

Norco Team Issue WCS 1996

BB Shell Width: 68mm English

BB Spindle Length: 108 mm

Bicycle Type: mountain bike, front suspension

Bottom Bracket: Axiom titanium, 108 mm spindle

Brake Levers: Avid SD-2.0

Brakeset: Tektro 872 brakes, Avid SD-2.0 levers

Chain: Shimano CN-IG90, 1/2 x 3/32"

Chain Size: 1/2 x 3/32"

Chainrings: 20/32/42

Chainstay Length: 16.75"

Colors: satin

Component Group: Grip Shift/Shimano Deore XT

Crankset: Race Face LP Compact, 20/32/42 teeth

Fork Brand & Model: Marzocchi XC 700

Fork Crown: triple-clamp

Fork Material: aluminum/chromoly, triple-clamp crown

Fork Rake: 4.80cm

Fork Travel:

Frame Angles: 71.0 head, 73.0 seat

Frame Construction: TIG-welded steel

Frame Tubing Material: Ritchey WCS Prestige

Front Brake: Tektro 872

Front Brake Lever: Avid SD-2.0

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT top-swing, top-pull

Front Derailleur Type: top-pull

Handlebar: Bontrager Titec 150g

Handlebar Extensions: Not included

Handlebar Stem: Axiom 6061

Head Tube Angle: 71.0

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Tange Ahead

Headset Diameter: 1 1/8" threadless

Hub Front:

Hub Rear:

Hubs:

Largest Rear Cog: 28

Num Rear Cogs: 8-speed

Pedals: Exus EM-1

Rear Brake: Tektro 872

Rear Brake Lever: Avid SD-2.0

Rear Cogs: 8-speed, 11 - 28 teeth

Rear Derailleur: Grip Shift ESP 900

Rear Shock: Not applicable

Rear Shock Travel: Not applicable

Rim Front: Sun Metal CR17A

Rim Rear: Sun Metal CR17A

Rims: Sun Metal CR17A, 32-hole

Saddle: Ritchey Vector WCS, titanium rails

Seat Post Diameter: 25.6 mm

Seat Tube Angle: 73.0

Seatpost: Titec AL-235, 25.6 mm diameter

Shift Levers: Grip Shift ESP 900

Sizes: 15", 17", 18.5", 20", 22"

Smallest Rear Cog: 11

Spoke Brand: DT Revolution stainless steel, 2.0mm double butted

Spoke Gauge: 2.0mm

Spoke Holes: 32-hole

Spoke Material: stainless steel

Spoke Nipples: alloy nipples

Spoke Type: double butted

Sugg Retail: 2699.00

Tire Front: Panaracer Dart Magic

Tire Rear: Panaracer Smoke Magic

Tire Size Front: 26 x 2.00"

Tire Size Rear: 26 x 2.10"

Tires: Front: 26 x 2.00" Panaracer Dart Magic, Rear: 26 x 2.10" Panaracer Smoke Magic

Top Tube Length: 22.25"

Weight: 25.2

Wheelbase: 42.0"