Thread: Norco Katmandu

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Norco Katmandu

I would like to know the pro's and con's of the Norco Katmandu please tyvm

and also what size tires does it have?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, it's got 75mm of travel, and 6 inch discs, and an okay frame, which is good.
    A warning though, I rode a bike with the same fork for a few months last year and blew it doing essentially nothing, but I was 200+ at the time.
    It's a norco, though, so that's a good thing.
    (I ride an '06 Rival, btw)

In closing, I'd say it'd be good for entry level XC and trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Good job!

That's was one of the best posts i've seen here tyvm markiiu!!!

I am looking seriously @ this bike and if you don't mind me asking what where you doing and what had you done previously to your fork?

(p.s. I don't jump it more than MAYBE 4 feet and if I do it's rare I like more of the dirt trails/river valley type not the hard core down hill style)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Okay, what I had been doing was mostly skatepark stuff and bmx tracks, nothing big at all, but you have to take into account that I had the stiffness all the way up and weighed like... 211 at that point (And had no body control in the air, so I tended to land nose down).
    Take a look at your local riding scene, I'm from bc, so we have more jumpy, droppy stuff, but there's still some sweet XC that I'd take a rig like that on, I wouldn't probably do some of the north shore, but I'd try easier stuff there (Norco builds them well, and they build them for the local scene). I'd tell you to take a look at treks if the scene near you is all smooth, buffed Xc, but I know someone who broke the BB in his 4300 just road riding (Keep in mind he's 190+ as well).
    Oh, and the tires are 2.1 inches wide.
    The tourney drivetrain never actually broke on me in the three months I rode the bike (I didn't ride an actual katmandu, just a pretty exact clone with all the same parts and stuff, kinda weird, I know), and I shifted pretty hard, but you can upgrade the derailleur pretty cheap, and the rims are beefy for the price (I never knocked it out of true).

All in all, I'd buy that bike if it was all I could justify spending, but if you could do the extra bit of money I'd take a wolverine, the extra bit of travel will probably help your skills progression, and it has a far better drivetrain as entry level bikes go. (I had looked at a wolverine at first, but wound up getting an amazing deal on a rival because it was the big size and nobody else had bought it)

I hope I made some sense in that rambling...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks man you really helped me on deciding to buy this bike. know someone who has a wolverine and I really like it but can't spend the extra $$ so the katmandu is the next best thing.

peace