Going for a ride......

Norco Fluid 2 or Fluid 3 Questions...

I'm looking around for a dual suspension bike around the $2000Au price. I've been really hard pressed to find any reviews or info on the Fluid 2 or 3 (2006 model).

So if you've ridden one, heard any reviewe, or even if you've got one, let me know what they're like?

Only thing I've read somewhere is that they're pretty heavy.They seem pretty well specced and reasonable value for money though.

If anyone can give a comparison to the Trance or Reign that would also be great.
    energetix

conjoinicorned
    the fluids are really nice bikes, pedal great. they are good for super aggressive AM/XC riding, enduro type stuff. the horst link does what it is supposed to do...but they are heavy bikes for their category.

after riding a regin i was very impressed, pedals well for a 6" bike. it wasn't much if at all lighter than the fluid. it felt solid and good in the air.

both bikes are solid, i like the norco cause it's canadian...but the giant is no slouch. good luck!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Fluids...

I work for a Norco dealer now and am really impressed by the Fluid line up. I am ordering a Fluid 2. I don't care for the Marzocchi AM1 that comes on it, it feels a little clunky and weighs about 5lbs. It will probably feel a whole lot better once it gets really broken it. I am swapping it for a Vanilla 130r. For the money, I think the 3 is a better deal. The new Rock Shox Tora feels really great, I am surprised how Rock Shox has been turned around by SRAM. It feels buttery smooth and has U-Turn. The finish looks a little cheapy, like a Pilot, but it rides and feels great. I also like the black paint of the 3 better than that of the 2. I am geting the 2 because after the EP discount the price difference is negligible. I also like the SRAM drivetrain of it better and the external bearing crankset. But for the $500 (us market) retail difference, the 3 is a better deal. The only differences between the two models are mentioned above. I have ridden both arond and they are awesome. Feels like the older Turner 5s and 6s before they lost the true 4 bar suspension (this year). I think you will be really pleased with the bike.

Going for a ride......
    Thanks for your feedback so far.. I agree value wise it would be just as good if not better going for the 3 ( I do like the white paint better though). And for the price difference (about $500 Australian) it would be easy to kit out the 3 with Sram X9 running gear! Don't know much about bottom brackets though.

Only problem is that the 3 doesn't seem to be available here in Australia which is a real shame. You have confirmed what I thought, it would be a fantastic and strong bike by the sounds of it - I'm just not sure if I would get full benefit / use out of it for my current riding style anyway - so getting the extra travel & weight may not be the best idea for me. Still keeping options open though - I guess there has to be a bike that will scream "I'm yours" once I jump on it, and from your replies I reckon the Norco is worthy of a test ride.

I've test ridden a 05" Trek Fule 70 so far, and didn't think much of it really - nice and nimble handling wise, but not very impressive to me suspension wise. The FSR XC (again 05) was pretty good to ride, don't like the fact that seat can't be lowered and spec wise I'd want to go for an FSR XC Comp.

I'm dying to get a leg over the Trance but not sure if the LBS is even going to get anymore in! - How can they expect to sell them if they don't have any on the floor!
    energetix

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I agree about the Fuel, I used to work at a Trek dealer and was never impressed by it. The Specialized and Norco will feel similar suspension wise because they use the same design, a Horst link 4 bar. I am pretty sure the Norco doesn't weight much more than the FSR XC. I read in a magazine recently that a women specific version of that bike weighed in at 32 pounds, that is too much for a bike with that little travel. I haven't weighed the Norco but I would imagine it is in the 32-33lb range. Keep in mind that the Marzocchi fork is a heavyweight at 5 lbs. 5in travel forks nowadays shouldn't be more than 4.5. The Fox weighs 3.9. You can adjust the travel on the bike too between 4.5 and 5.3 inches. I am super excited to get mine. I am putting a lighter wheelset on it and lightweight tires. Additionally I am swapping out the Hayes Sole disc brakes for either Formula Oro K18s or Avi mechs. I think it is a great bike for 99% of people stock, but I am picky about bikes and parts cause I am a mechanic and I ride 6 days a week on some pretty brutal terrain. In short I think the Fluid 2 and 06 FSRxc Pro are comparable, but the Norco adds another 1" of travel, better cranks, and a SRAM drivetrain, so I think it has a bit of an edge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just curious what you guys think about the Fluid off drops... My girfriend and I are looking at Fluid 2s, but it will be our only bikes.

I'm not really interested in 10' to flat or anything like that, but 2/3' with steeper landings or a table. I want something that can still go uphill...for a few hours.