mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Norco 07 Fireball?

Has anybody riden a fireball before?

I was gonna go with Stumpjumper comp hardtail but I can't really find one in my size. I found couple SJ hardtails experts, they are so nice and smooth but they are seriously out of my price range...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride an '06 Storm, which is the same frame as the Fireball with a shorter (100mm) fork and a lesser spec throughout. Good bike, but the handling is slower than I like and it's not the greatest climber due to the tallish front end (Fireball is even taller up front at full travel). It does do well as a general XC bike with flat bars substituted (With the tall front end and risers it just doesn't climb all that well)

These are VERY different bikes from the Stumpy. Much more relaxed geometry on the Fireball (69 degree head tube at full travel to the Stumpy's 71 degree). The Stumpy is a pure XC race machine, designed to go fast and climb like nobody's business. The Fireball is a descent-oriented aggressive XC bike with slower handling and will descend more confidently than the Stumpy. You could get a setup similar to the stumpy by running the Fireball with the fork set to minimum travel and running flat bars though. If you don't mind playing with the travel up front the Fireball is the more flexible bike, as it's setup to be a better all-mountain ride, with the ability to nearly match the Stumpy as an XC ride if you turn down the travel and run flat bars. If you want to race or ride pure XC, the Stumpy is better.

The Norco equivalent of a Stumpjumper is an EXC HT 2, Specialized doesn't make an equivalent of the Fireball, the Rockhopper Pro Disc is likely closest (but rally falls in between the Charger and Nitro, down-spec from the Fireball and with less travel).