My dog rules!!!

New Slayer Owner

I bit the bullet yesterday and picked up a 05' Slayer 30. This being my first full suspension bike doesn't give me much to compare it to but all the buyers remorse went away as soon as I blasted the first downhill on my favorite trail. This thing is bad a$$!!! I think right I now may look into getting a longer stem cause I am used to streching out a bit more and new seat, I know the tires will come later cause they are really soft but overall I am very happy. What kind of changes have you guys made in this area (seat/stem). That seat is uncomfortable and kinda ugly.

livin' large
    I replaced my seat post to a offset raceface number to get further back on the bike, keeps me from endoing as much. As far as part replacement I've done many but only when something is broken or completely sucking (ei the Hutchinson rubber on my slayer)

As far as the stem goes I like to keep it shortish (80mm) for techy stuff and down hills and sit up and spin on the uphills

PS have fun on the new ride
    it tied the room together man!

Born of Fire
    Congrats on the new bike. This is my third season on one. They're fantastic bikes. I changed the seat on mine right off the bat. I wore right through the Hutchinson's that came on it as well. Enjoy!

My dog rules!!!
    That sounds like a better idea doing the seatpost/seat instead of changing the stem to strech out the position. I'll have to look into that. Mine came with some Maxxis tires which are very very sticky. I don't know how long they will last but it seems like there are better ones out there when I do change up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wldtrky101
    That sounds like a better idea doing the seatpost/seat instead of changing the stem to strech out the position. I'll have to look into that. Mine came with some Maxxis tires which are very very sticky. I don't know how long they will last but it seems like there are better ones out there when I do change up.
    I like the wtb rocket on my slayer. As far as the stem goes I went a thomson 15 degreex120mm I climb a lot but it still BOMBS downhill just rode up my buddies(skilled rider) rear end with 7" of travel. I like the cockpit room myself. Buy a better fork if you can. I have the 04 z1 freride 130mm, the all mtn 1 would probably work well it seems to have the same bells and whistles plus I think the color would look good with the green. tires... I LOVE the nokian gazzalodi dual 2.3 Tuff tire corners great, haven't flatted yet..knock on wood. I went on an epic ride with 2 buddies which flatted twice each not me plus I ride harder than both of them in rockcy terrain. hope this helps, congrats on the new rig u will love it.

Group Hug Participant

Let's see...

Changes I've made on my '02? Well, I'm on my 3rd pair of tires. I'm using the new Spec. 2.3 Enduro Pro's and loving them. Still using the same saddle, stem and seat post. I say give the new ride position some time. You'll get used to it real quickly. And when you do, jump back on your old bike for shitzngiggles . You won't miss that stretched out feeling at all.

One other highly recommended change would be PUSHing the rear shock after your first year of riding. Then upgrade the fork to a Z1, and your bike'll be the titz! After that, you'll find yourself wanting a bigger bike.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

My dog rules!!!

tires

I am with you on the WTV rocket seat, got the one with the Ti rails. The thing is so light I though they had shipped me an empty box! Now I am need tires, the knobs on these are getting rounded off, plus they are just too heavy! I was looking at some of WTB's tires since they impressed me with the seat. Any opinions out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am with you on the WTV rocket seat, got the one with the Ti rails. The thing is so light I though they had shipped me an empty box! Now I am need tires, the knobs on these are getting rounded off, plus they are just too heavy! I was looking at some of WTB's tires since they impressed me with the seat. Any opinions out there?
    Nokian Gazzalodi Dual

pol
    Pablo "down" Hill
    I bit the bullet yesterday and picked up a 05' Slayer 30. This being my first full suspension bike doesn't give me much to compare it to but all the buyers remorse went away as soon as I blasted the first downhill on my favorite trail. This thing is bad a$$!!! I think right I now may look into getting a longer stem cause I am used to streching out a bit more and new seat, I know the tires will come later cause they are really soft but overall I am very happy. What kind of changes have you guys made in this area (seat/stem). That seat is uncomfortable and kinda ugly.
    The RM slayer comes with a short steam for a reason. This bike is made for more technical decents than your past hard tail, as well as its tires. If i were you, i'd save my money and use it for a better fork next seasson, or maby shave some weight by upgrading some components.

anyway

enjoy your new bike, and ride hard