mtbr member
    May 2008

Need sizing help from those of you with Handjobs

I have a medium handjob which feels great underneath me, but when my wife rides with me I let her ride it and I use my large trek 6500. That bike kills my back from being so stretched out and the stiff aluminum.
    I want to add a full suspension to the stable but I am having a really hard time matching up geos. The problem is the Cove has a really slack seat tube angle and I ride with a 400 seatpost nearly all the way out (350 is too small) so this puts me much further away from the bars than a bike with say a 72*-74* seat angle.
    I love the reach I have right now with, I believe, a 80mm stem. So lets say I was looking at the Hustler. I am thinking I might need a large due to the seatpost being more straight up. Even though the top tube is an inch longer the fact I have almost the entire seat post extended on the slack angled handjob means I am reaching further on it, correct?

By the way I am actually looking at the Pivot Mach 5 since the geo is very close but I am not sure what the hell I am going to do with so much travel.

And getting out there and riding more bikes is pretty much out of the question. I am stationed in Belgium and do not speak the language not to mention I won't pay the prices any bike will cost over here once you add in the Euro-dollar exchange rate and the 21% VAT. And I would feel like a total assclown to demo a bike at a shop and then buy it online.

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone with a HJ and experience with other bikes can help me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007