mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need Help With ETSX Sizing

Hi,

I found a 19" ETSX on sale at my local bike shop. I'm 6'2", around 220 lbs, and will be test riding it next week.

Out of curiousity, what size are you guys riding, and how tall are you? Initially, it felt small but because it's so cold in Maryland I opted to wait on test riding it until next week.

And overall, what are your general impressions of your bike?

I will be x-country racing 3-4x a year, but mostly will be doing weekend riding....very light freeride, mostly x-country, roots, rocks, some 1-2' dropoffs, light jumping. Fun stuff.

Thanks for any and all help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Darron,

I'm 5' 9" and I'm riding an 18 inch frame. My impressions about the sizing are as follows: the cockpit is kinda short for me, and the standover clearance is not very good for me either (although I've never had a problem. I used to have a 19" Schwinn hardtail frame that let me strech out more, and I got used to that feeling. The EST-X also has me sitting more upright as well. Sometimes the frame seems a little strange to me, but if I had a larger one the standover height would kill me. If you are used to a streched out cockpit it may seem a little strange to you.

As for the frame performance: I don't have any complaints. I think the frame is beautiful, and it looks and is very strong. It could handle anything you intend on doing. The rear suspension just works really well. I can see it working, but I never feel that it is "bobbing" or holding me back. I get great traction. I love the elevated chainstays of the rear suspension too, as the chain doesn't slap there.

I have a 2002 1/2 model EST-X 50, the first ones that came out. I hate the front shock, but the newer bikes have much better ones now. The rear shock doesn't have ProPedal, its just a Fox Float RL? but I haven't had any problems. I really like the way my bike looks, rides, and performs, I just wish it fit me a little better.

Hope that helps.

-John

1946:2006:2066

i too have a 2002 1/2 RM ETSX-50 and love it...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Hi,
    I found a 19" ETSX on sale at my local bike shop. I'm 6'2", around 220 lbs, and will be test riding it next week.
    Out of curiousity, what size are you guys riding, and how tall are you? Initially, it felt small but because it's so cold in Maryland I opted to wait on test riding it until next week.
    I will be x-country racing 3-4x a year, but mostly will be doing weekend riding....very light freeride, mostly x-country, roots, rocks, some 1-2' dropoffs, light jumping. Fun stuff.
    I ride mostly street and urban trails. I have the 19" frame and I am 5' 11", 170 lbs. All the
    ETSX's are spec'd with the zero offset seat post and I think a 100 or 110 mm stem.
    I changed to a Race Face XY seat post and a 90 mm 15 degree stem with a 1 1/2 riser bar.
    Even though you're a couple of inches taller the 20.5" frame would probably be too big.
    A different stem and seat post just might do the trick for you.

The bike is a lot stronger than some might think since all the links are short and over built.
    I have found the bike to perform exactly as advertised. Sprints like a hard tail, climbs like
    a cat, descends like you're on rails. I've surprised many a car leaving a traffic alight, at
    least when I was in shape. Some of the roads in TO have wicked descents and I have
    reached speeds of 50 to 60 km/h on broken concrete and asphalt and felt perfectly safe.

I still have my GT LTS and the ETSX is light years ahead in performance. And I have
    ridden FSR's which I never really liked and just don't compare.

My only concern might be your weight. If you truly know how to land a jump, using your
    legs as shock absorbers then go for it. The ETSX is not a jumper but should be able to
    1 to 2 foot drops done properly.

A word about the travel settings. Forget about the 4.5". Think of the ETSX as 4" travel bike.
    The 3.5" and 4" travel settings do not change the head angle. The 4.5" setting increases
    the head angle by about 3/4 of degree, increases the standover and bottom bracket height.

Let me put it this way...I'm considering getting 2004 ETSX-70 frame and doing my own build.

I would post a pic but I don't have a digital camera.

michael

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Rocky's tend to be a 'bit' small.

I'm riding normally a 16 or 17" bike from most everyone else, but on a Rocky Fanatic (I know different bike, but bear with me...) I'm on a 18". The Top tube length on the Rocky at 16.5" was much closer to my OLD 15" bike than it was to my 17" Hardtail.

I bought by top tube length this time instead of by seat tube and clearance like I've normally done. Waiting for winter to finish to see if I need to tweak the stem lenght and such.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Hi,

JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...