I've got a Stiffee

My Cove Stiffee FR

Bought this frame to compliment my Foes FXR and BigHit. Took awhile to get use to having no rear suspension, but this bike is a lot of fun! Haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing around 27-28 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

sharp!

Is that a 2005 Frame?

I've got a Stiffee
    It's an '04....at least that is what it said on Jenson

mtbr member
    Nice, haven't seen the new Stiffee. Cool head tube gussets.

Here's my Cove story. I have a no-name XC hardtail frame built with the intention that it would be sold as a Cove Stiffee. It was built in the late 1990's, about the time I think that Stiffees transitioned from XC bikes into freeride hardtails.

The story - according to the guy who I bought the frame from - is that there was a falling out between his friend who had the batch of frames made and the owner of Cove. So buddy ended up with a warehouse of frames, one of which I got for $40 cdn.

Who knows what the truth is - maybe the XC geometry didn't fit in with Cove's business plan for the Stiffee model, maybe there was a quality control issue (though I can't find anything wrong with the frame). Maybe it really was just a business retationship gone bad. Regardless, it's a good commuter and I've raced it XC without problems.

mtbr member

Nice Bike!

I've been thinking of getting a new hard tail for technical terrain with a 5" fork. What size rear tire can you get in there? Why did you pick Cove over the others? Any others for me to look at?
    Thanks
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

I've got a Stiffee
    I am running a 2.3 Weirwolf right now in the rear. The frame itself would easily have room for a 2.5, but what it comes down to is clearance with the front der. when in the granny ring. I'm running an XT fr der. and when I had a 2.5 the knobs would rub the der. cage when in the granny ring. I guess depending on what rim/tire/fr der combo you use would determine how big of a tire you could fit in the back.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice on the Stiffee. I also looked at the RM Flow, but decided to spend the extra on the Cove since it looked beefier and weighed about the same as the Flow. The frame is really stiff, climbs well when my fork is locked down and descends surprisingly well on the downhill. This bike will take whatever you throw at it. Only complaint is the paint, it doesn't take much to scratch it up.